Top or Bottom

Fair enough Paddy, just 2 differing opinions on how to achieve the same goal. I've already stated you were right (even if it was unbelievable:D) I got it wrong but all I'm saying as with a few posting on this thread, just because the book say's it's so, does not make it so.

Totally agree Alastair, however, when the book becomes the Bible (TG20:08 SG4:10) which at this stage is not, as we are talking a ,Basic scaffold' configuration, where do we stand.....and where is our input for the consultation process?

Not sure you can blame the nasc for this one Paddy but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what book quotes where we start when we build these jobs, I've never seen a drawing or guidance state how to build it but I was never good at reading the small print.

I reckon where we stand is build it anyway you like as long as it's a recognised configuration, this thread was just a bit of fun on a slow Sunday afternoon.

You take the high road and I'll take the low road....................

In my eye,s starting at the top is wrong unless it is possible to tie into something, When we did the Falkirk wheel all the slope was railway sleepered out with concrete to hold it in place, while we were erecting the middle section , we were at the point where the platform is level all way thru, so say 1 lift above the highest point which was about 6 lifts up from the lowest point, we staffed it all out using the theodalite to check heights , only to realise our 60ft wide 120ft long scaffold had started to descend down the slope haha :nuts:

haha, Paddy will be pleased.:noworry:

I know what the book say's but if you were building a job on sloped ground where would you start and why? I recently got this wrong on a training course in fact I got nearly all the part 1 stuff wrong but that's another story.:embarrest:

This question is in both the Basic and Advanced Irish test papers and the answers should be different for each.

The Basic course assumes system scaffold and you will normally start from the highest point.

The Advanced course uses tube and fittings where the answer will always be from the lowest point.

Should you actually answer 'highest' in the advanced test you will be right!

Ireland is still some way behind I'm afraid as it is quite apparent that none of the questions were written by anyone with any actual pratical scaffolding knowledge.

Sake Dennis, it doesn't get any clearer does it. As I said this was just meant to be a bit of fun but it does show the discrepancies with how we all interperate the information given. The only real point the instructor made for coming up from the lowest point was you would need to dig in to the bank at some point to level a full lift through and my own argument was I could eye it in with a few simple measurements and calculations to work it in as sweet as a nut. I think it's one of these questions with no right and wrong answer as I have done it both way's depending on the job.

Not sure you can blame the nasc for this one Paddy but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what book quotes where we start when we build these jobs, I've never seen a drawing or guidance state how to build it but I was never good at reading the small print.

I reckon where we stand is build it anyway you like as long as it's a recognised configuration, this thread was just a bit of fun on a slow Sunday afternoon.

You take the high road and I'll take the low road....................

Unbelievably, Paddy was one of the few who got it right. Unbelievably, Paddy was one of the few who got it right. Unbelievably, Paddy was one of the few who got it right. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRcurOYc0r0&feature=related]Loch Lomond (By The Real McKenzies) - YouTube[/ame]

haha, excellent Paddy, and the rest can laugh as much as they like cos come the new year you will all be up jigging to that sh it.:D:love::cool:

Best of AOM, for you and the Gang........Bet you dont open the solepad thread now matey....ha ha ha, you opened this can of wriggly fellas so suffer it buddy, i will see you on the low road.

Regards
Paddy and family

Wouldn't dare open a sole pad thread, I remember years ago getting a dig for it on a job from hse and for what ever reason it's one of these things that passes through my brain like a monday night chinky passes through the intestines of a jakey.

I will carry the can for this thread no problem Paddy, funny the things that get's the bears motivated, I think there are still a couple of regulars missing so I don't think this is dead yet unless they are frightened to nail their colours to the mast.:cool:

Yes Paddy, looking forward to meeting with you on the low road so I can educate you some more.:)

Alastair

Wouldn't dare open a sole pad thread, I remember years ago getting a dig for it on a job from hse and for what ever reason it's one of these things that passes through my brain like a monday night chinky passes through the intestines of a jakey.

I will carry the can for this thread no problem Paddy, funny the things that get's the bears motivated, I think there are still a couple of regulars missing so I don't think this is dead yet unless they are frightened to nail their colours to the mast.:cool:

Yes Paddy, looking forward to meeting with you on the low road so I can educate you some more.:)

Alastair

I will start from the top road though ( book says so) meet you half way up....... or halfway down whichever is easier for you Pal.;)

Halfway up suits me fine Paddy, I'll bring the Jura if you bring the cans.:idea:

Dennis "Ireland is still some way behind I'm afraid as it is quite apparent that none of the questions were written by anyone with any actual pratical scaffolding knowledge"

Theres a few porridge munchers that are a little suspect :wondering:

Is it a normal practice to lay 13ft boards down as sole pads on soft ground or marshe's then let them find their own level when the load is applied :sad2:

Start in the middle, then one man can go uphill, another guy can head off downhill, and the laybrother can get his finger out and dig a few holes

Last edited:

Alastair
Psst,is it at least two standards?

Psst,is it at least two standards?

naw it's naw.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Dennis "Ireland is still some way behind I'm afraid as it is quite apparent that none of the questions were written by anyone with any actual pratical scaffolding knowledge"

Theres a few porridge munchers that are a little suspect :wondering:

Is it a normal practice to lay 13ft boards down as sole pads on soft ground or marshe's then let them find their own level when the load is applied :sad2:

Start in the middle, then one man can go uphill, another guy can head off downhill, and the laybrother can get his finger out and dig a few holes

Nothing wrong with the old raft foundation for a brickie scaffold Rigger.:blink1:

haha, what is it then?

I know what you are getting at with the 2 standard thing but what is the minimum size of a sole pad on soft ground?

Only took me 8hrs and 70 odd replies but as usual it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you do.:noworry:

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I think BF is scouring the t'interweb for an answer.:D

Top Bottom