Ecitb scaffs tkt

Frederik, I have Easyfix Transoms (Mills) Readylok (SGB) These are the original ones and were made so that the toe board sits on the transom. I've not seen the newer(pirated) version, so it maybe that there is a fraction of difference in the width hence the toe board not sitting on the transom. This is only an assumption, so I can't be sure. Another reason could be the boards themselves, sometimes you'll notice boards not cut exactly straight, there might be a bow in them, in which case its better to use them for the toe boards.

Brandy,the transomes used on site take 5 boards tight, they have a section that slides out from the transom to take up to 3 inside boards, These transomes are fixed to the ledgers with a welded coupler and a sliding wedge which needs to be tapped witha hammer to tighten up. the sliding/telescopic section is tightened with a scaff spanner 7/16. My boss had these put in to allow any contractors to move inside boards themselves,window fitters,cladders etc, I created a bit about this and have since been moved to another site. I wasnt number 1 0n this site. I also complained to the h/s inspector that non scaffs are moving boards and fittings,and drew a great big blank, figure that one out.

I am answering this thread as a scaffolder, the point I have made in several posts is that its all & well having guidelines & rules but it is always the guys on the ground who have the pressure put on them!!

If you have not got a ladder access tower included on the job spec & you put one in how many firms would be happy with that!!

I know what you are supposed to but that is not always the way you can do it.

Been on price most my life & I have not met many scaffolders who will erect something they are not getting paid for.

The question that had been answered was above base, multiple working lifts. If I am putting ladder access points in & all lifts had some form of work being done then I would stagger the lift access points due to the possibility of items falling through. Top lift only then I would look at back to back.

When we stagger the ladder points they either have a double handrail access point built round them or a gate depending on what is supplied. Don't know why you brought up the SCCR in this & SG means guidance!!!

I know I represent the SCCR in a lot of things on here but I am a working scaffolder, I do not sit behind a desk, well only in my spare time!!

To help you out when I am replying to issues relating to SCCR matters I will put my name, when I am part taking in a debate as a scaffolder I put Ragscaff.

Ragscaff :bigsmile:
Ragscaff, I didn't mean to sound like I was taking a pop at you , I have to take my hat off to you mate ,working on a price and trying to get your project off the ground takes a lot of time and conviction and you have my respect.

I was also on a price for a long time so I do know where your coming from, we certainly didn't put things up for no reason, then again when I started you didn't need rails or toeboards under 2.0m and it was single handrail only.

I only metion the SCCR, as everytime the NASC is mentioned somebody slags them off ( I have a few times)and they are not all bad but they do need competition or we will all be dancing to the same tune ,THEIRS ! and thats not good for any of us.

A balanced view with all parties represented is whats required. I hope you do have some sort of success as you have worked hard for it.

I was aware sg stood for safety guidance just wasn't sure that everybody else reading the thread was.

I do sit behind a desk for 3 days out of 5 Ragscaff reading eons of method statements, risk assesments,looking at 101 dull scaffold specifications that are based on the idea of the client getting a Rollys Royce job for bicycle money !The other 2 days of the week I am out with the lads erecting scaffolding so as not to loose their respect.

I hope I haven't lost yours.

Frederik, know the type, Xtenda, look handy, though have never used them. I would agree with you, other trades should not be altering, extending, interfering with any part of a scaffold, including placing or displacing boards. A handing over certificate should state that. I often notice with safety, double standards seem to apply if the main contractor is footing the bill. As for drawing a blank from the H/S guy, I can't imagine that scenario if he had to deal with an accident investigator. Perhaps he should reflect on that.

Ragscaff, I didn't mean to sound like I was taking a pop at you , I have to take my hat off to you mate ,working on a price and trying to get your project off the ground takes a lot of time and conviction and you have my respect.

I was also on a price for a long time so I do know where your coming from, we certainly didn't put things up for no reason, then again when I started you didn't need rails or toeboards under 2.0m and it was single handrail only.

I only metion the SCCR, as everytime the NASC is mentioned somebody slags them off ( I have a few times)and they are not all bad but they do need competition or we will all be dancing to the same tune ,THEIRS ! and thats not good for any of us.

A balanced view with all parties represented is whats required. I hope you do have some sort of success as you have worked hard for it.

I was aware sg stood for safety guidance just wasn't sure that everybody else reading the thread was.

I do sit behind a desk for 3 days out of 5 Ragscaff reading eons of method statements, risk assesments,looking at 101 dull scaffold specifications that are based on the idea of the client getting a Rollys Royce job for bicycle money !The other 2 days of the week I am out with the lads erecting scaffolding so as not to loose their respect.

I hope I haven't lost yours.

Your input is much appreciated Russ mate, you have my respect on the same level as i respect my Chairman of the SCCR, respect has to be earned, and you both Tick that box.

Dangeruss, as you know we spoke about a year ago on the PM. Good debate is not a slagging match, this has been good debate.

I am sorry if I hinted on guys in the office not knowing what is happening. That was not my intention, I was pointing out that I am on the tools 6-7 days a week & all else is done in my own time or days taken off unpaid.

SF is a good platform for all the industry to move forward & you can tell when guys come on here to spoil it & you are not one of them.

Scaffs will be scaffs but you have more respect when you can break the ice etc.

RAGSCAFF (Stewart)

Some of.the duties of a site manager.(Briefly)

1. To ensure the health and saftey of all people working on site including visitors. A clear company policy,site rules.All operatives to sign in and out daily. Induction:Rescue plans Emergency assembly pointsi,(fire) pedestrian walkways,seperating site traffic,designated smoking areas, Changing rooms,clean toilets,hot water. A clean canteen for breaks etc. Welfare room, trained 1st aiders available.

2. Ensure all operatives hold the correct cards/tickets for the work to be carried out. Having correct and appropriate ppe for the job. Correct cards and tickets showing you are trained and competent. Proactive involvement of risk assessments/method statements,for all operatives. keep a file on all trades. Progress and coordinate works in line with programm.

3. Keep file on all operatives works carried out including issuing nessessary permits,eg hotwrks,enclosed spaces.
Some of the trades on site.
Groundworkers,machinedrivers,shuttering carpenters,steel fixers,concrete workers, SCAFFOLDERS yay brickies ,Boo. Sparkies,plumbers, labourers,roofers, leadmen,steelerectors,fencers, Services Gas Electric ,Water,BT. engineers architects surveyors,Daily material deliveries,Skips,concrete timber etc etc etc....Keep the neighbors sweet, keep the contractors sweet, keep h/s sweet, keep the boss extra sweet etc etc etc ,Live it breath it, take it home with you ,wake up to it.

SO, honestly,it aint a bunch of roses. A site manager needs to see the tickets now a days.cos we dont know it all.

So heres the thing I do know,as a former and reborn scaff. Is it alright to allow a scaff to hook up a transformer? umm....no. Is it alright to let a labourer connect the gas? umm...no Is it alright to allow the dumper driver to jump into the crane and unload a truck...I dont think so.
So why the Fook is it alright to allow any tom dik and brickie to alter scaffolding?
ANSWER; Its not. Experienced scaffs,you need to get the right tickets I'm afraid. Having said all of that,I do believe it the absolute duty of the scaffold industry to ensure the eictb boys are given help here, stop moving the goalposts on whim or say so of the few. Come on lads stand up and be counted.
I could go on and on about a site managers duties,but scaffolding is one small part of looking after a site, But in some ways one of the most important. Lives and jobs at stake without it.

Used these at lydons and found the 3 board pull out used to bend over time how can they make a 3 board pull out if you have to pick up 3 board needles ? What the difference ?

tose 3board xtendas should be banned full stop as after 2boards you sould have suppourt these components do not allow this.as for non scaffs moving anything well thats pre-historic GONE never to come back(well hopefully) any maagement that allows this practice no matter what level should be taken out and shot full stop.

Telescopic Transoms---yet another ill conceived and pisssh innovation---cost cutting exercise---who ever thought of this component and moreover those who sanctioned and passed the Technical Engineering principals ( Celticbhoy 3 board unsupported ) should be shot a dawn.

Gar...

summed it up in one garry a cost cutting exercise leaving the mess to be sorted out by the foot soldiers,any safety rep worth his salt would request these off site asap as these guys seem to be very proficent in spotting any other little misdomeanoures on the scaffold.....so why not these dammed things?

Like I said, have never used the xtenda transom, I would'nt be happy putting 3 inside boards without support, always thought 2 was max.

Rite there celticbhoy, cant see how theyre allowed,and at 1500 apart!!!!

im of the same ilk as you brandy think we need some proper tech guidance here all info would be greatly appreaciated chaps on these xtendas.

Telescopic Transoms---yet another ill conceived and pisssh innovation---cost cutting exercise---who ever thought of this component and moreover those who sanctioned and passed the Technical Engineering principals ( Celticbhoy 3 board unsupported ) should be shot a dawn.

Gar...

They don't call them Paddy`s for nothing

This is where the danger lays---a portion of the uninitiated Trained and Ticketed day and a dinner Safety Advisors who do not have sufficient Practical and Technical experience of the Scaffolding Industry to identify a precursor to that which happens without intelligent design.

As for un authorized removal of Scaffold Component parts, this issue should have been trampled on and sorted out years ago, we the SCCR are in joint consultation with the HSE to find a way forward to put in place mechanisms to combat this BREACH of STATUTORY LAW, by including Un- Authorized Removal to be include in the RIDDOR Reg's...

Gar...

Oh yea!!! Guess who done the design? I never met him , tho I asked my boss to speak to him when he came on site, our old mate tubular.

superb retort to the fly by night safety rep gar lol how many if not the majority are lacking such experiance as you mention?would be a great stat to obtain.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

hang im high

One could obtain the stats from the CITB and Associated Approved Training Centers---the Candidates Work History and Practical and Theoretical Experience should be Logged in a Data Base, and used as an indicator of the Candidates degree of entitlement to offer up advise on the subject matter.

Gar...

Top Bottom