Stop ends

tell you lot are not on Price work,afraid round here at the mo its £3.50 up and £1.75 on the strip per metre,not sure what that works in a square to people south of the Watford Gap but up here it means tg2008 bare minimum,not the best but its whats happening:wacko:

Had a wee squint at tg:20 and it simply states that "guardrails shall be connected to the standards with swivels or right angle couplers." No provision for single on the stop end I'm afraid, another bad habit to break.

As for the rest, it get's a bit complicated. I thought Aberdeen's were required on a fully sheeted job but unless I am now reading this wrong they aren't. All that is required is the top lift to be tied even if the lift below is already tied. Even heavy duty jobs don't need them, all that is required is a supplementary fitting at each standard to ledger connection and then it's only if you have a 4-5-2. The transoms are reduced as well as the bay size but that surprised me, the long and the short, no real need for Aberdeens. The returns is a wee bit vague for a thick scaff but as best as I can tell there is nothing to stop you underslinging a return with a single.

Can't wait for the rewrite. :laugh:

i thought i read aberdeens were now needed are you saying they are not

another sleepless night 😄😄

Here in Australia, they put double to double on stop ends and the return of handrails, so I go with the flow, but back in UK always double single..how times change. Whats the reasoning behind this?
Are splay scaffolds as we know with singles for ledgers now non compliant? I still do splays here and see a few scratched heads, with me explaining myself all the time.lol however I always put a Aberdeen under the ledgers across the standards and handrails are all doubles. Braces too.
They don't brace scaffolds here, like back home. Braces go in last once all the lift is fixed. Does my head in!!

They don't brace scaffolds here, like back home. Braces go in last once all the lift is fixed. Does my head in!![/QUOTE]
Cant be Plumb surely?:suspicious:

i thought i read aberdeens were now needed are you saying they are not

another sleepless night 😄😄

Don't quote me Tim but as far as I could see it was only the additional lift of ties that were required. I thought Aberdeens were needed as well.

Page 22, the illistrations showing a basic scaffold has a plan, a tie but no Aberdeen and the only additional requirement mentioned is the top lift tied.

quote tg2008

It is recommended that independent tied scaffolds ties should be connected to both inside and outside standards(obviously count as Aberdeens),,,,,,,,

In unclad scaffolds greater than 15m in height,in all sheeted scaffolds and in all debris netted scaffolds,one transom should be fitted with right angle or swivel couplers within 300mm of each ledger braced frame at every lift,unless a through tie is already fitted within 300mmof the ledger braced frame with right angle or swivel couplers.

In unclad scaffolds less than 15m in height ,all transoms may be fitted with putlog couplers,including those fitted within 300mm of each ledger-braced frame.

It isrecommended that sheeting and debris netting,where needed,should always be fitted to the outside of the scaffold members.

hope that helps;)

Honestly, I will read that book one day.:embarrest:

You can keep it, where would you like me to send it?

I would wrap it up in fine Indian silk if it would get rid of it.

Stop Ends

Have a look at the front cover of TG20:08 - Clearly shows a clip on the corner...

There is no reason why a clip cannot be used on a stop end as the double beneath it effectively acts as a check fitting.

correct, does any of the design team on here disagree.

I have always thought that handrails/stop ends are not structural , so what difference does it make if you use a clip or a double

None what so ever as far as im concerned.Maybe one of the young team will enlighten me as to why.

your ledgers are on singles its mainly for corner but has gone to stop ends

Never came across this problem steveo , only time i have put doubles on stop ends is if i want to use if for a tie

New rules taken effect, especially with this advance inspection course making light of it all to site managers and normal people (non scaffs) i had my arse torn by someone on monday ex scaff with this course under his belt

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

But i do it all the time now cause i have to

our firm have indorsed it for the last 3 years and if you dont do double on double the tag gets pulled but this is a indusrial sector personally singles on a handrail i dont think should matter the same as these aberdeens there great for setting out but some scaffolders put them on every lift why they do this beats me if the doubles do slips the aberdeen falls down with the doubles so unless you check the aberdeens on the lifts whats the point were be using treble hand rails soon

Where are these rules written mate , as i never heard of them , but i know what you mean bout site managers

Top Bottom