Stop ends

Yes but we rarely use Aberdeens on straight runs unless they are sheeted, there is no requirement for them in tg:20 on a fully boarded scaffold so why would you need a double on a stop end? Set is a great solution but I bought a few new one's the other week and had to bash them square to get them to accept the tube flush, very disappointing.

is that not one of the changes in tg20.08 that you do need these tubes double on double ........
just going downstairs to look now 😳

I got a dig at a training centre about 15 years ago because I went double to single. I don't think you can blame tg:20 for this as it's been about for years. I did the double to double thing off shore and when in the rig yards and power stations just because that is the way they wanted it but back on the street and back to bad habits I suppose. Still can't see the problem.

i didnt realise that the handrail had to be loadbearing or form the loadbearing part of the structure, surely if the stop end was fixed with a clip sitting on top of the return ledger which in turn would be fitted with a double than this would act as a check fitting to the clip and would make the argument for the scaff step to be on loadbearing fittings nonsence

Last edited:
Must admit, forgot about the step SP, might have to really read that book one day.:laugh:

got it page 51 section 10.2 transoms on doubles on scaffolds over 15m high not sheeted will have a transom on doubles within 300 mm if it is a problem for the boards it can be underslung

and as aom says on all sheeted and debris netted scaffolds

15m will cover us for the majority of our work. Will need to remember when we go over right enough, that will be tricky. :embarrest:

wheres that tim tg20 vol 1

think the height is the main factor in that statement and has been misread as anyheight -chinease whispers again me finks lol gonna av to break it out 2moro and look it up

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

15m will cover us for the majority of our work. Will need to remember when we go over right enough, that will be tricky. :embarrest:

fair enoug Al same with us with thesinge facade brace covered with a plan

Single brace for us as well but only plan after 4th lift. Started to change my mind a bit about that though after speaking with a few designers that reckon flat is best and 2 bay one lift whilst looks like a dogs dinner is actually a stronger job.

correct sp it is the height over 15m ......

another thread about the stop ends on doubles if you look at tg 20 08 cover page it shows the scaff fixing h/r on top of the stop ends which are on doubles but fixing them with singles !!!

well i cant take anymore this evening 😄😄😄😄

got my second week tomorrow with a different h/r conumdrum for george will post a pic if i think it is any interest or maybe not lol

the advanced course can be very frustrating for someone with over 20 years of turning a spanner...as i found out myselfs,but the wait for the 2day assesment is even worse lolo

maybe a whisper but it was mentioned that the old 13 rewrite might go back to sways in one bay ......
the evidence for this was apparently a cad software release that is being trialed to coincide with the tg release
i do hope so

im trying to get the angles right and doing a ten the sleeving a ten on ( i write class be coupler in chalk on the joiner in case of issues 😜)

Ah FFS, just as I was starting to think about the 2 bay they now reckon single is best. I give up.

im trying to grab some learning of the course when i can especially in the classroom as really i have my own style scaffolding so its hard to conform
especially when i get told for eg that ledger should be that side not that or that type of thing .....well why are the drawings on a4 as if it doesnt make a difference because its so poorly printed ....
but i dont think i will be failed for it

my boss thinks i will come back as an advanced so he has the flexability to put me on a site to run it ...well will be ok in 6 months ( assuming i pass of course )
im pleased ive done the portfolio though at least thats out of the way

Yeah Tim it would make sense but it's obviously taken me till now to think 2 bay one lift might actually work. I know we should react quicker but for some it's a life long practice that has to change which isn't always easy.

nope done truss out and canti drop at safety & access in nottingham, John Ellis was my assessor, a few months before assessed route was scrapped 2003/2004?

I did the part 2 course with the same guy at a similar time and also did the cantilever drop. Also did the cantilever drop for the one day assessment (I think)

Went back to safety and access to do the advanced 3 yrs later to find the cantilever drop was now part of the advanced course and the splay scaffold was in the basic course in it's place.

Stop ends I tend to put dub on dub. But When going round a house I staff the handrail off so it's a fraction quicker to put the corners on single.

TG 20.08 Volume 1 Page 53 11.6 Guardrails shall be connected to the Standards with Swivel or Right Angle Couplers.

However On the Book Cover there is Picture of a Fella with Singles connected to the stop end double Guard Rails

Confusion Rules

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yes but we rarely use Aberdeens on straight runs unless they are sheeted, there is no requirement for them in tg:20 on a fully boarded scaffold so why would you need a double on a stop end? Set is a great solution but I bought a few new one's the other week and had to bash them square to get them to accept the tube flush, very disappointing.

I had always assumed that with band and plate being the original scaff fitting that all scaffolds were in effect erected with load bearing fittings.This was also done when using the mills fittings. I therefore remember when singles were termed handrail couplers and were meant to be used as such. Then people started to use them to fix transoms on independent tied scaffolds with the ties being the load bearing couper between inside and outside of scaffold.
Therefore in theory any free standing scaffold should have aberdeens?If the scaffold is tied in then they would not be necessary?

Not on the street HSWT. Our jobs are obviously tied using doubles on both standards on a braced frame, single sway braced and plans every 4th lift between tie positions as a minimum. Depending on how I see it, it is not uncommon for us to put in an Aberdeen on a braced frame and only really now use Aberdeen's fully when the job is sheated. When I first started I did use them all the time no matter the circumstance but as I was pricing against other's who didn't the practice soon stopped. To be honest, it's also easier to comply with all the regulations without them, you have the maximum lift height of 2m which can be tight on some jobs with head room, we also used to just lap the boards in days gone by when all trannies were fitted using doubles but that's a no no now as well. We still use doubles on non boarded lifts and fit our mid transoms using swivels to get a temporary boarded lift but it's obviously much easier and quicker to fit using singles.

I agree using set is an answer but even they are not what they once were although officially the same load as ever. If I remember correctly, offshore they didn't want you using set instead of an Aberdeen if it could be avoided as Rigblast still required the ledger to be checked for the down force. In the end I think set was more used for the cantilevers and under slings and that was about it.

I think they call it progress.

Top Bottom