Stop ends

I did my part 1 it was all set, mind you the instructors all cut about in white coats like professors so it wasn't yesterday. I liked using them, but they were heavy if you had to lug bags of set up all day long you would soon know all about it.:eek:

The way the jobs are built now may not look as good but they are just as strong and we now have reams of paperwork to prove it, something we didn't have back in the day. I know a lot of drawing's would have still been produced at that time but most were retrospective and the scaffs never saw them.

Last edited:
Yes but we rarely use Aberdeens on straight runs unless they are sheeted, there is no requirement for them in tg:20 on a fully boarded scaffold so why would you need a double on a stop end? Set is a great solution but I bought a few new one's the other week and had to bash them square to get them to accept the tube flush, very disappointing.

we got 3 or 4 palets now so long ago and non of them fit al all ya have to smash them on and when you undo it sand re do it needs smashed again

I did the part 2 course with the same guy at a similar time and also did the cantilever drop. Also did the cantilever drop for the one day assessment (I think)

Went back to safety and access to do the advanced 3 yrs later to find the cantilever drop was now part of the advanced course and the splay scaffold was in the basic course in it's place.

Stop ends I tend to put dub on dub. But When going round a house I staff the handrail off so it's a fraction quicker to put the corners on single.

the staff it the simples most time consuming tool a scaff can have lol,
should returns not be underslung using band and plate?(or a swivel on un boar5ded lifts ) and if so how many actually undersling with band an plate on your returns?

As usual a good point, the inside ledger should as a minimum be underslung using set as the outside is picked up with the standard, you could bang a 4 standard square on the return but the usual is just singles.

**** me always learning,band and plate on the inside ledger,singles obviously not load bearing,always had a niggle about that is there anything in tg20 about this as to be honest in all the years 99% ive seen are returned with clips

**** me always learning,band and plate on the inside ledger,singles obviously not load bearing,always had a niggle about that is there anything in tg20 about this as to be honest in all the years 99% ive seen are returned with clips

Not entirely sure Joe, I have read it but not muck sinks in. If no one else confirms I will check tomorrow.

on me part 1 told us returns had to be off lb fitting so on boarded lifts its band and plate on part 2 we used swivels for the height of the abberdean /datum but on the job av only even known it on singles never seen it off swivels nor band and plate and is that a set band and plate?

Yes.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

It was all done with set back in the day, not really sure when it became common practice to just use singles. Even myself it just kind off crept in till the young guns would probably say the same as you marra.

[/COLOR]It was all done with set back in the day, not really sure when it became common practice to just use singles. Even myself it just kind off crept in till the young guns would probably say the same as you marra.[/QUOTE

]well thats it marra althow the instructor did make us use swivel on the inside and doubbles on the outsdie. on the boarded lift he nver said anything to us about using singles and not band an plate but supose if the hand rails are on doubble and or the un boarded lift below should be ort ????

Different people will tell you different things. As I said I was dug in the centre for it myself years back but they didn't make a big deal from it, they just said there was no provision in the regulations for clips on the hand rail. My point is if you build 6 lifts of scaffold fully boarded and un-sheeted it's going to be all singles on the transoms and returns so what difference would a double make on the stop end?

I will have to have a read of tg20 the morra, (feck sake we really must be getting quieter) but my honest advice is just keep banging them in with a single at the spot you are on but keep a look out for a change of practice when it's time to spread your wings.:idea:

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

The designers would tell you better and as usual I could be very wrong, but I think the hand rails are just that and from a design point of view have no real structural input although they do say it counts towards the stagger in the joints.

it was something i thought of just recently , the irony of part 2's going offshore and not being qualified/deemed competent in building cantilever drops and hangers , as someone pointed out there will be guys who done the cant drop on their part 2 , but not now, i used to think it funny that guys went offshore as a part 2 , but couldnt build a hanger , now it makes the industry look silly , that the most dangerous work/jobs are being built by people who are unqualified.

hmm , !!!!

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

its maybe a difficult one to solve but i dont think people building hangers 30,40 ft off the ground prepares them for what lies ahead , it might be better to make it more real at a decent height and let some people **** themselves and fail , im sure everybody knows a story about some guy who panicked on the dropper or whatever , i never had any experience in the centre and the first time i stripped a cantilever drop i ended up sittin at the bottom of a 21 , 300ft above the sea thinkin , uh, what now, 10 minutes and 10 doubles later i had a cup of tea and was giving up scaffolding , then in the afternoon i did it again , and again , in one day i went from a shitbag to balls of steel , how many guys spend all that money getting offshore then realise their a shitebag who wants to pass tubes , i reckon loads.

Good point jb78 but what is there to be scared of? With all the safety and rescue equipment available if you fell you will hang there until rescued as happened out in Australia a few months ago.Maybe sore balls and a bit of shock. It was far riskier when there were no safety harnesses and in the days when there wasnt 100% hook on.

agree , there is enough saftey involved that fear shouldnt be a problem , but and its a big butt , i would say at least half the people i ever worked offshore with would go away with the reels but never had or even seen the apparatus used to bring somebody up if they fell ,in fact 90 % of the time all youd have was the reel , not to mention that little stick or whatever its called , the thing youd put your foot on to take your weight , again this is something ive heard of , not something ive ever seen , **** most of the time in the ducth sector we'd not even use a reel , id even say 60% of people ive worked with probably believed that it was the guy from ayrshire that invented it as they all wanted AN AYRSHIRE REEL , some people cant even say it , never mind spell it.

Had a wee squint at tg:20 and it simply states that "guardrails shall be connected to the standards with swivels or right angle couplers." No provision for single on the stop end I'm afraid, another bad habit to break.

As for the rest, it get's a bit complicated. I thought Aberdeen's were required on a fully sheeted job but unless I am now reading this wrong they aren't. All that is required is the top lift to be tied even if the lift below is already tied. Even heavy duty jobs don't need them, all that is required is a supplementary fitting at each standard to ledger connection and then it's only if you have a 4-5-2. The transoms are reduced as well as the bay size but that surprised me, the long and the short, no real need for Aberdeens. The returns is a wee bit vague for a thick scaff but as best as I can tell there is nothing to stop you underslinging a return with a single.

Can't wait for the rewrite. :laugh:

I have to admit. At first i hated Aberdeens but now i LOVE them, lol.
If i had my way id put them in all my jobs. :cool:

Do you mean "pinch rod" or dead man i can never keep up with all this slang.

Well sort of... an Aberdeen is a Pinch Rod that stays in the job till it comes down, basically.
Ties your Standards together Double to Double all the way along.

bizaare we all do the same but talk so different, I always use pinch rods even on untied lifts its just better.

Top Bottom