Rectifying Misconceptions about the NASC

• Thread starter TRAD Health and Safety
  • Start date
For one reason or another, I was going to stay well clear of this one, but the point of the forum is to share views and experiences to try and help others, so here goes one more time.

The money thing, is a fair enough question for me. If you have a trade body willing to shout from the rooftops that you are a fit and proper company to take on a contract and fulfil it properly, a sound financial footing should form part of any decision making process and if this was extrapolated to other contracts and contractors I probably wouldn't have to write off so much bad debt year after year. I know I am a lone voice or pretty much on here, but the accusation of a big boys club just doesn't sit right with my experience, we all know I am as small as they come and when I joined my firm consisted of me, my father in law, a boy and a 7.5 ton truck. My reasons for wanting to join are simple enough, a desire to make sure I was up to date with all current guidance and any changes without having to rely on others to tell me or poorly informed contractors.

The audit process is also simple enough, we also get an audit every now and again from our insurance company and to be honest it's almost the same so obviously we are all capable of passing that or we wouldn't be trading. The site audit may well be simpler to pass for a small firm as I know all the boys are using the step and are suited and booted with all the gear no matter who or when the checks come, most of my jobs are fairly straightforward enough and haven't really found that too difficult to get through either.

I don't think my firm is better or worse than the next because I am flying a banner, but at least clients can take some comfort when trading in a strange area that I at least know what the rules and regulations are, I am insured and know how to right a risk assessment and method statement. I know we all do it but the client doesn't always until it's too late and we have all seen the RAMS needed for tomorrow start threads so it does happen.

Despite my size, I still get a say in the direction my trade goes. I also contribute to all these guidance notes and yes, whilst I don't want to carry the can for tg20 I did contribute to it as I have to the long awaited update. Those running their own small show will obviously be well used to doing their own thing and don't want anyone telling them how to do it, but for me, every man and his dog thinks they have a right to tell me how they want it done, and they got the shock of their lives when I come back armed to the back teeth with information and facts to destroy their so called beliefs. The NASC has been an invaluable tool when dealing with many contractors over the years, off the top of my head I can't remember what it costs, a fixed fee or percentage of T.O but I find it essential operating round here.

I have discussed this and other aspects of membership with a few through PM's, and have always been willing to share my views and experience to any interested party. Whilst it's only one mans experience and opinion, I think it's fair to say most members I meet and talk too find the same experience no matter how big or small they are.

Good post Alastair, and the reasons you state for joining are the reasons i wanted membership from our company, which was started from scratch. But a new company would have to be trading at least 3 years to be able to get that information. For a trade body that produces what is perceived to be best practice, technical guidance and basic industry standards, do you not think that the sooner a new company was a member the better. Would it not be better to audit the companies policies and procedures before deciding on the financial viability of the organisation.

If i was a plumber/ gas fitter i could apply on line to the gas safe register, which has taken over from the old CORGI scheme, their industry main trade body. This is also something that you can apply for from the day you set your company up.

Good post Alastair, and the reasons you state for joining are the reasons i wanted membership from our company, which was started from scratch. But a new company would have to be trading at least 3 years to be able to get that information. For a trade body that produces what is perceived to be best practice, technical guidance and basic industry standards, do you not think that the sooner a new company was a member the better. Would it not be better to audit the companies policies and procedures before deciding on the financial viability of the organisation.

If i was a plumber/ gas fitter i could apply on line to the gas safe register, which has taken over from the old CORGI scheme, their industry main trade body. This is also something that you can apply for from the day you set your company up.

it is indeed but you need to have an nvq level 2 under some cirsustances you can get on the training/course for gas safe but you can also pass and at the end of it they can turn round to you and say no nvq no gas safe dog w@nk tbh. being gas safe is the same as lets say having, besc or pts its an extra ticket that allows you to undertake a certain type of work. with in gas safe there different discipline ,fire, cooker. boiler. oil couple of others that aint worth doing for plumbers like air heaters in ductsow and then theres all this with lpg as well totally different again. but just coz ya gas safe dont mean you can work on all gas you choose 3 topics at first more choose boiler fire and cooker. so gas safe is more on the lines of besc confined space pts lul.

cheers for that cal, but your missing the point, probably a bad example. I'll try to explain it another way.
For a body that has as much influence and holds as much sway as the NASC does in this industry, surely a financial audit should come after all other elements have been assessed, as 2 years audited accounts is still restrictive to small new start companies.

Quote from the first page of the website:

' The NASC is recognised as the national trade body for access and scaffolding in the UK, producing a wide range of industry guidance for scaffolding contractors, their operatives and their clients.

Members of the NASC are strictly regulated to ensure a continuous high standard of scaffolding practice.

By understanding what to expect from an NASC member you can obtain a high level of reassurance that when you employ an NASC member to carry out scaffold work or supply scaffold equipment you are making an informed decision, you know what to expect, your expectations are met and of course ultimately you are making the right choice.

Numerous pro-active main contractors and clients are already insisting that their scaffolding contractor is a NASC member.'

So that statement, along with not even entertaining our application because we are a new company is a restriction of trade, as i can't now quote work for say Yorkshire water, only use NASC members, even though we've been operating on United utilities sites for 2 years with the extra cards that we carry. Blue cards,SHEA water cards and city and guilds confined space cards!

Applied for a reactive maintenance, scaffolding framework a couple of months ago, but no fuc7 off copperknackers, your not a member of the NASC.

cheers for that cal, but your missing the point, probably a bad example. I'll try to explain it another way.
For a body that has as much influence and holds as much sway as the NASC does in this industry, surely a financial audit should come after all other elements have been assessed, as 2 years audited accounts is still restrictive to small new start companies.

Quote from the first page of the website:

' The NASC is recognised as the national trade body for access and scaffolding in the UK, producing a wide range of industry guidance for scaffolding contractors, their operatives and their clients.

Members of the NASC are strictly regulated to ensure a continuous high standard of scaffolding practice.

By understanding what to expect from an NASC member you can obtain a high level of reassurance that when you employ an NASC member to carry out scaffold work or supply scaffold equipment you are making an informed decision, you know what to expect, your expectations are met and of course ultimately you are making the right choice.

Numerous pro-active main contractors and clients are already insisting that their scaffolding contractor is a NASC member.'

So that statement, along with not even entertaining our application because we are a new company is a restriction of trade, as i can't now quote work for say Yorkshire water, only use NASC members, even though we've been operating on United utilities sites for 2 years with the extra cards that we carry. Blue cards,SHEA water cards and city and guilds confined space cards!

Applied for a reactive maintenance, scaffolding framework a couple of months ago, but no fuc7 off copperknackers, your not a member of the NASC.

aye there defo a **** take marra, and that has got to break some fekin eu competion law

Trad well done for contributing and replying on a very touchy subject to a lot on the forum.I also liked the way you informed that as the thread had more or less run its course you stated that you will not reply so it should now be put to bed.;)

Happy, I don't think this subject will ever be put to bed.

I think it will always be each to his own, how many companies have joined the SCCR, just out of curiosity?

Good post Trad. And good to see that you can accept criticism and differing views without threatening to leave the forum as has happened on many occasions before when certain members have been criticized (no names no pack drill).
Will be interesting to hear the results of the issues raised at the next meeting. Please keep us informed.

When is the next meeting?

Is it true that one of the nasc directors is a silent partner in a training centre up near Geordie Land and up until early last year this training centre was still teaching to BS5793 standards ??????????

Going to start my own rip off club up if anyone wants to join its called M.A.S.C Mug A Scaffold Company . You pay me a minimum of £1600 a year dependant on your turnover and you can use my logo on your site. I'll dictate whether or not you can use subbies , cause long term injuries to your employees by making you use a scaff step and make you attend as many training courses as possible then tell you your tickets not valid as cisrs is not part of M.A.S.C . please pm me for more details on who to make the check payable to

Going to start my own rip off club up if anyone wants to join its called M.A.S.C Mug A Scaffold Company . You pay me a minimum of £1600 a year dependant on your turnover and you can use my logo on your site. I'll dictate whether or not you can use subbies , cause long term injuries to your employees by making you use a scaff step and make you attend as many training courses as possible then tell you your tickets not valid as cisrs is not part of M.A.S.C . please pm me for more details on who to make the check payable to

It does sound tempting.

theres also a rumour a very heavy and widely known rumour about cash for cards at a certain Training centre(well in a carpark near to it)
there were also other rumours about a sex scandal but this was never proven,but i cant remember the centre or any one associated with it;)

Don't forget every branch of DSL, Harsco etc is a seperate member hence the low turnover.
Should for example DSL Swansea get caught out and banished from the NASC all their other branches will still be members.
At the same time they also have members like AOM (And Trad?) that aren't huge but do the job as they should.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Good honest post Rigger.

So how does this work. Say dsl Swansea got thrown out,the branch would still be running. Or do Dsl close it down. Its still Dsl under nasc banner??:wondering::wondering:

It probably would never happen as they would be given time to conform unlike a new application.

Top Bottom