Fitting a beam direct to a wall?

one of the best inventions ive come across. the key is obviously the structure type and drilling /setting out . i had a chalk string line which helped out as we was on a price.

haha, I put the commentators eye on it as we were also on a price.:amuse:

Nah, just kidding Danny. I actually got an e-mail from another forum user who did his job similar to you and it did cross my mind to do either that or fix beams into the wall as uprights and pick them up like you have done but the designer we used who was actually very good recommended we keep it simple as it was such a small job with next to no loadings. Nice tidy job though matey.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

How did you install the b and p off the fragile roof ?

Turns out Tim the roof wasn't all that fragile after all, you wouldn't want to put a scaffold on it or anything but I took pictures today of all the builders material stored on it just in case they try and blame us for anything. We just stood on the roof and drilled.:cool:

When ever we do it we use band and plate then lace a tube between them as it is a bit more forgiving, for example you could drill in at 300/400 centers or what ever the designer require's and fit the beam on Doubles to the Tube. This way there is a little bit of room for messing about as the beam can be raised or lowered on the tube.But have the 5's pointing up and not sideways via the band and plate.

That's how we did it Max, the pictures are poor, you may have to take my word for it.

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

haha, one of the reasons I didn't really want to post the pictures originally. I didn't rate the way the beam was fitted below, I don't mean that nasty to the boy's that fitted it but you know the feeling you get when it just looks light. It's not on the drawing but I reckoned it needed a bit of beefing up.

haha, one of the reasons I didn't really want to post the pictures originally. I didn't rate the way the beam was fitted below, I don't mean that nasty to the boy's that fitted it but you know the feeling you get when it just looks light. It's not on the drawing but I reckoned it needed a bit of beefing up.

that's what I taught,for the sake of 5 more minutes it makes it stronger,why you not throw it in as your lift?or is the lift much higher?

tidy job marra finally got in on the forum lol few swisw not gate to gate ;) whens it due to come down

The job was built johnny, it would have been ideal as part of the lift or even done better below. I went to inspect it and hand it over and just wasn't overly impressed with it. It's OK now with a couple of additions but the whole thing could have been done a bit better if I'm honest.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

tidy job marra finally got in on the forum lol few swisw not gate to gate ;) whens it due to come down

Yeah I know but never worried me too much about that except when using droppers or puncheons. It's been up a few weeks but nobody has been on that roof for years and years so they have found a whole load of rot so hard to say exactly when it's due down.

The job was built johnny, it would have been ideal as part of the lift or even done better below. I went to inspect it and hand it over and just wasn't overly impressed with it. It's OK now with a couple of additions but the whole thing could have been done a bit better if I'm honest.

Still a tidy job cant of being easy for the lads bouncing about on that old roof

You are dead right Johnny, it was tough all round.

I would have double double on braces tho !

Was this the job u mentioned ages ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.euro-scaff.co.uk

It was the job Scaffy and double to double ledger brace was not required on the drawing, we rarely go double to double especially on such a small job.

Nice job Alistair. Would you have done it differently now its finished?

Would have just been tidier Frederik. As I said I did have a couple of options and ideas one of which came on this thread but the designer was very good and he just felt any other way was overly complicated for the size of structure we were doing. Maybe not different but certainly tidier.

I remember you posting pics before the job went up and general discussions,alls well that ends well. Just wndering:wondering: Could this job have been done in system.

It is possible as you would just need to punch off the beams with your system standard but there is a tight return and narrow working area on the first bit of the job and it would have been tough to get the standards in exactly the right place, not that we did it with tube.

PICT0028.jpg

It's that tight in that wee corner I couldn't stand back far enough to take a picture.

The main thing is there was a problem and you had a solution, scaffolding at its best !

It was the job Scaffy and double to double ledger brace was not required on the drawing, we rarely go double to double especially on such a small job.

No need for double to double.

Top Bottom