who actually put the CISRS Inspection course together.

Geoffbecks
Did you work on the inspection course ie helping to put it together ?

"Maybe someone would like to quote some of the facts that are incorrect and tell us what the correct answers " ????

We're getting a lot of questions, but nobody is giving us answers. Could turn this into a game for all to play. Give us a clue, Is the person male or female.?

all in all this coarse should only be for qualified scaffolders, and all the other nuggets should only be aloud to do an appreciation coarse.

A Scaff for Life not just for Xmas

Geoffbecks
Did you work on the inspection course ie helping to put it together ?

"Maybe someone would like to quote some of the facts that are incorrect and tell us what the correct answers " ????

No I have not been involved with it at all as far as putting it together, I have gone throgh it though in datail as I will be delivering it soon.......I have shadowed the deleivery with someone that works closely with the HSE,
and I have asked questions to find the correct answers.....and I have been told one thing by one person and something else by another.
I'm now only interested in ensuring the facts are correct and it's not my interpretation....or anybody elses....and from the audiance's that I have seen it is the scaffolders that attend that know the least when it comes to facts of the law in it's current content.and as I said before the inspection course is not designed for scaffolders to inspect their own work it is designed around giving the site agents etc enough of an understanding to know when it is not built to the minimum british standards
If anybody is going so slag someone off for anything in life then it's always a good idea be sure that the facts are correct............

Sorry mate but why are they doing Advance scaffold inspection courses?

"it is designed around giving the site agents etc enough of an understanding to know when it is not built to the minimum british standards"

The problem is after attending this course, most without any scaffolding back ground they then try to in force what they think is rite.
How can this course be targeted at these sort of people ?
My understanding is the Advanced inspection course covers complexed scaffold structors not you day to day scaffolds we will call them ? Is that not what the basic card is all about ?

Advanced Scaffold Inspection

This course is aimed at persons responsible for inspecting complex tube and fitting scaffolds and completing a report in accordance with Work at Height Regulations 2005. This course would require prospective delegates to have held the CISRS Basic Card for a minimum of 2 years prior to attending the Advanced Course.

It is essential that the person carrying out these inspection has the relevant knowledge, industry EXPERIENCE and has received specific training.

That is there words not mine so how do site agents have the experience ????

No I have not been involved with it at all as far as putting it together, I have gone throgh it though in datail as I will be delivering it soon.......I have shadowed the deleivery with someone that works closely with the HSE,
and I have asked questions to find the correct answers.....and I have been told one thing by one person and something else by another.
I'm now only interested in ensuring the facts are correct and it's not my interpretation....or anybody elses....and from the audiance's that I have seen it is the scaffolders that attend that know the least when it comes to facts of the law in it's current content.and as I said before the inspection course is not designed for scaffolders to inspect their own work it is designed around giving the site agents etc enough of an understanding to know when it is not built to the minimum british standards
If anybody is going so slag someone off for anything in life then it's always a good idea be sure that the facts are correct............

The fact is Geoff the Advanced Inspection course is £480 for two days & I can honestly say I never learnt any thing new that I did'nt already know, The course content & the powerpoint was a load off shi*e, Fact:mad:

And the course instructor put the course together himself becasuse he kept making reference for the need for the PP to be updated, also BS EN1211 and the old 5973 were been refered to so that tells you that the course is not bang up to date,Fact

I have nothing against 3rd Party Scaffold Inspection and Commissioning, indeed the Oil and Gas Sector are moving towards this regime---however, I am totally against any un Ticketed and Trained Operatives conducting Scaffold Inspections of any kind be it off the shelf Scaffold Structures or the more Complex Special Structures in Tube and Couplers.

To expect an armature/novice to Commission a Structure is reckless in the least, furthermore for them to contradict a Scaffold Erector who is Trained and Ticketed is down right insulting.

Who ever it is that sets the bench mark for the current Inspection Courses should sanctions non-Scaffolder s to conduct these Inspections should think again.

What is the Legal Position should in incident happen.

Are the covert Breaches being taught on these courses ?

Are Loss Prevention Strategies Discussed ?

Are we to be invited to consult in the course curriculum ?

Garry...

PS Andy you got PM...

There have been scaffolding partial and complete collapses, some of those must have been inspected and passed by scaffold inspectors just like incompetent scaffolders, there are incompetent scaffold inspectors, and in both cases their coming from these training courses.

Sorry mate but why are they doing Advance scaffold inspection courses?

"it is designed around giving the site agents etc enough of an understanding to know when it is not built to the minimum british standards"

The problem is after attending this course, most without any scaffolding back ground they then try to in force what they think is rite.
How can this course be targeted at these sort of people ?
My understanding is the Advanced inspection course covers complexed scaffold structors not you day to day scaffolds we will call them ? Is that not what the basic card is all about ?

Andy your bang on right...It's very hard find anyone with enough knowledge in the subject to give them the right to enforce what they think is right,
That is why we have minimum safety standards from the HSE ...
otherwise who is to say who IS right or wrong with their interpretation.?

The advanced inspection course is more of a refresher for the basic scaffold inspection course, with some progress onwards from what is defined as a basic scaffold (TG20:08) and looking at the details given in a scaffold drawing,
and again it is for the likes of your average site agent to be able to read and understand. don't forget this is a two day class based course that is not designed to enable them to be able to erect dismantle or modify a scaffold but to be able to understand if it is being built to the minimum requirment set out in BSEN12811.1 as they will be the people that are going to be signing the report to say that it is correct.
Don't forget if it's not built correctly and someone is killed or injured as a result and they have signed it off as being in sound condition, it could well be them that goes to prison....ask the site manager that ran the jury inn project in Milton Keens,
I'm sure the scaffolders thought the job was just fine, even though it must not have looked anything like the drawing...that is if they had one of course,
So would I trust a scaffolder on site if he swore up and down that there was nothing wrong with a scaffold if it had been built like that.....NO I WOULD NOT, I would want to have some understanding of what could be termed minimum standard as that is what a judge would accept in a court of law to show I have accepted something that I have deemed to be practiable and sufficient,
don't forget a basic scaffold is a structure that does not require a design, anything that does really comes under the advanced.

Yes I know there is a lot to try and cover in these courses and to make it understandable for everyone that attends, but at the end of the day it will.... as in any class come down to the way the information is delivered by the tutor. And not the person who put's the course content down
But then you will never please all the people all the time, but I don't hear many companies that send their managers on these courses complaining,
and after all the course has been developed with them in mind

Im not making exuses I'm just telling it as it is

Andy your bang on right...It's very hard find anyone with enough knowledge in the subject to give them the right to enforce what they think is right,
That is why we have minimum safety standards from the HSE ...
otherwise who is to say who IS right or wrong with their interpretation.?

The advanced inspection course is more of a refresher for the basic scaffold inspection course, with some progress onwards from what is defined as a basic scaffold (TG20:08) and looking at the details given in a scaffold drawing,
and again it is for the likes of your average site agent to be able to read and understand. don't forget this is a two day class based course that is not designed to enable them to be able to erect dismantle or modify a scaffold but to be able to understand if it is being built to the minimum requirment set out in BSEN12811.1 as they will be the people that are going to be signing the report to say that it is correct.
Don't forget if it's not built correctly and someone is killed or injured as a result and they have signed it off as being in sound condition, it could well be them that goes to prison....ask the site manager that ran the jury inn project in Milton Keens,
I'm sure the scaffolders thought the job was just fine, even though it must not have looked anything like the drawing...that is if they had one of course,
So would I trust a scaffolder on site if he swore up and down that there was nothing wrong with a scaffold if it had been built like that.....NO I WOULD NOT, I would want to have some understanding of what could be termed minimum standard as that is what a judge would accept in a court of law to show I have accepted something that I have deemed to be practiable and sufficient,
don't forget a basic scaffold is a structure that does not require a design, anything that does really comes under the advanced.

Yes I know there is a lot to try and cover in these courses and to make it understandable for everyone that attends, but at the end of the day it will.... as in any class come down to the way the information is delivered by the tutor. And not the person who put's the course content down
But then you will never please all the people all the time, but I don't hear many companies that send their managers on these courses complaining,
and after all the course has been developed with them in mind

Im not making exuses I'm just telling it as it is

Not got time to read all this!!

Are you saying someone with an advanced inspection ticket can or can't inspect an advanced structure?

Ragscaff

The problem is with site agents doing the course for me, they have not attended training courses like a scaffolder is required to do and they are not serving anytime as a scaffolder. I'm not saying that the scaffolder that erected the job should sign the inspection record as you well no this is not within the law. What i am saying is if the construction industry / oil & Gas to name a couple should only employee a scaffold inspector that has served his time as a scaffolder and worked his way up to scaffold inspector. If they want to run safe inspection programs on site then cost should not come into it. How can the site agent inspect them he is normaly running around with his head up his arse.???

The fact is Geoff the Advanced Inspection course is £480 for two days & I can honestly say I never learnt any thing new that I did'nt already know, The course content & the powerpoint was a load off shi*e, Fact:mad:

And the course instructor put the course together himself becasuse he kept making reference for the need for the PP to be updated, also BS EN1211 and the old 5973 were been refered to so that tells you that the course is not bang up to date,Fact

BS EN 1211:2005
Chemicals used for treatment of water intended for human consumption. Potassium tripolyphosphate
Not too sure what scaffold inspection course this is from..?

Do you mean BSEN12811.1

easy to make a mistake don't you think

People have to be very careful before making statements or they can end up looking very silly

BSEN12811 is current legislation for the UK and is bang upto date...It might not be perfect, but at this time it is the law

The problem is with site agents doing the course for me, they have not attended training courses like a scaffolder is required to do and they are not serving anytime as a scaffolder. I'm not saying that the scaffolder that erected the job should sign the inspection record as you well no this is not within the law. What i am saying is if the construction industry / oil & Gas to name a couple should only employee a scaffold inspector that has served his time as a scaffolder and worked his way up to scaffold inspector. If they want to run safe inspection programs on site then cost should not come into it. How can the site agent inspect them he is normaly running around with his head up his arse.???

Yes you can tag your own jobs, as long as their done properly , nothing to worry about..

Sorry mate you can only fill in the top section of the tag ie location / ref No if you no it / requested by/ Build by / Date / sign.
The bottom half of the tag is by the inspector ie perpose / weight / date / time / number of boarded lifts / ladder rungs / inside board loading (0.75kg max of 2 before picking up etc.

Yes you can tag your own jobs, as long as their done properly , nothing to worry about..

Andy
I totaly agree with you on all aspects, unfortunatly costs do make a large impact on safety and it will never be that the only people that are signing the scaffold report are the inspectors that have a full industry background, however how much background knowlegde does someome need to read the minimum standards and look to see if it has been achived.?

Deb
What have tags got to do with anything, they are not a legal requirement...a recorded report of a full inspection however is...and the scaffolder that erected a job is not allowed to fill out the report. Yes he can write out a scaff tag but that's not the same thing is it

Sorry Andy, thought you meant the scafftag mate

Top Bottom