Transoms next to standards and incomplete signs

I got boll ocked by a safety officer for using milk crates to base out an 8 foot lift , his biggest concern was that they could not be inspected or tagged .
Next day iam on my crates again when along comes the man " i fu cking told you yesterday about them crates " i then showed him the ladder tags i had signed and cable tied to the crates , he just burst out laughing and said 10 out of 10 for effort , so hurry up and get the fu cking base out finished , they aint all bad ;)

eh, is it not so you can call a node a node. If it was more than 300mm then it couldn't be considered a node.:cool:

According to some sources the node is the junction of standard and ledger (node point).
Singles are non load bearing and have no design capability.
I vote aberdeens on every set of standards the aussie way.:D

So what stops the job splitting in half then, especially now when we are able to tie to the inside standard only again?

According to some sources the node is the junction of standard and ledger (node point).
Singles are non load bearing and have no design capability.
I vote aberdeens on every set of standards the aussie way.:D

Not with you here Aom?:wondering:

If board bearing transoms have no loading capacity, what stops the outside leaf of the job falling away from the inside leaf?

We only ever used singles in London AOM , even when we only tied the inside .

We nearly always do as well Phil, never tie just to the inside but might start now we know we can. I came off the rigs and put Aberdeens in everything for the first 2 or 3 years, but learned eventually.

Aah! I expect dogs( may be of some use here. I think thats the point hswt was making with oz system,could be wrong tho. I worked in nz in the early days with trannies tied at standards but meant lapping all the boards,standards set at 8ft.middle trannies redundant.
Tied at standards with dubs that is!

Last edited:
The thing is Frederik, I think the singles are fine and do have structural capabilities and also form part of a node, hence the reason you need one at a maximum of 300mm from a standard. I was brought up the same way most of us were where singles are considered zero rated or almost zero, but obviously there is more to it than that.

I thought an effective node point was a 3 way tie in dubs and swivs and not singles,which would maybe, mean aberdeens required somewhere. On your fleet run,not always possible to get a trannie within 300 of standard. Are you saying pop in a trannie where sway meets node??

I am saying that. If that were wrong would a fully boarded job and no Aberdeen's not have any nodes?

Haha,just debating for debates sake Alistaire,I surrender,you win. 300mm from standard is indeed a node.dub or single;)

haha, fatal flaw to listen to anything I say, just like most things how I see it.

So what stops the job splitting in half then, especially now when we are able to tie to the inside standard only again?

Just quoting from the experts aom. I used to think that was the reason we dog legged the ledger bracing years ago.Isnt that why TG20 said aberdeens on sheeted scaffolds so the wind doesnt squeeze the scaffold together?
Originally scaffolds had all on load bearing fittings like the mills and b+p.
In Australia especially in the tropics the high heat and humidity can make the boards contract and expand sometimes breaking the wire lashings and popping the boards out. Maybe if aberdeens were not in they would just push against the singles and eventually move the scaffold frame??

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

I thought an effective node point was a 3 way tie in dubs and swivs and not singles,which would maybe, mean aberdeens required somewhere. On your fleet run,not always possible to get a trannie within 300 of standard. Are you saying pop in a trannie where sway meets node??

I always thought the node was where the ledger, standard and transom met that was why the sway brace went to that point. I was surprised to see it written where the standard and ledger meet.

Top Bottom