Transoms next to standards and incomplete signs

Is a node point not a 3 way tie, so as Flinty mentioned dogs and sways would make that a node as well. Would trannies spaced at 300mm where boards meet be considered the same strength as an aberdeen??:wondering:

Is a node point not a 3 way tie, so as Flinty mentioned dogs and sways would make that a node as well. Would trannies spaced at 300mm where boards meet be considered the same strength as an aberdeen??:wondering:

dont know about the sway an ledger crk i was under the impression that the swivels/ doubbles had to be no more than 300mm from an node point so node points with out braces were standard meets ledger and am asuming tranny with in 300 and if thats the case then 300 between to board end would only be classes a node if there were a standard between if that make sence

Nodes are the strongest part of the scaffold, ledgers, transoms bracing etc should be no more than 300mm max apart, the closer the stronger the node, node points should also be " run in " around the bay, as they transfer the load through themselves, weak node = weak scaffold. the transoms only count if they are a load bearing fitting..ie. not a lap. the load bearing tube for example on a boarded working lift would be the ledgers ( on 90's ) and not the trannies ( on laps ) therefore in theory although we would call the ledgers, they are actually transoms as they are load bearing with the doubles and the trannies ( laps ) would be the ledgers... Know what I mean ?? lol..

Nodes are the strongest part of the scaffold, ledgers, transoms bracing etc should be no more than 300mm max apart, the closer the stronger the node, node points should also be " run in " around the bay, as they transfer the load through themselves, weak node = weak scaffold. the transoms only count if they are a load bearing fitting..ie. not a lap. the load bearing tube for example on a boarded working lift would be the ledgers ( on 90's ) and not the trannies ( on laps ) therefore in theory although we would call the ledgers, they are actually transoms as they are load bearing with the doubles and the trannies ( laps ) would be the ledgers... Know what I mean ?? lol..

YOU HAVE JUST BLEW MY TASH RIGHT OF WITH THAT 1

dont know how its done over the water marra but ledgers allways load bearing lol trannys can be if you want them to be band and plate never seen a need for trannys on pand and plate mine there will be some 1 use it this way but not me lol

agreed then,node is doub on standard and ledger connection,sways and dogs have to be within 300mm of node. I think Alan Read wrote something on this. As handrails are fixed with doubles its not a node as its not meeting a 3 way connection..Theres your trannie position as others have mentioned clipping near standards

agreed then,node is doub on standard and ledger connection,sways and dogs have to be within 300mm of node. I think Alan Read wrote something on this. As handrails are fixed with doubles its not a node as its not meeting a 3 way connection..Theres your trannie position as others have mentioned clipping near standards

ya right as it was a discussion about like 10 foot lifts and bracing from top hand rail as apose to above toe board i think finlty is buying breakfast lol

this all sounds rather confusing to me and i think slightly over engineered from open ended interpretations, i'm sure we all do it differnt ways up and down the country-i've been doing nuts &bolts up now for many years and this has always been my understanding....
the node point is the fixed point using a double coupler fom standard to ledger,when alternitve diagnal bracing it then fixed it should not exceed 300mm from either side of this node to keep it strong so idealy DC-DC should be used but where not practical a SW can be placed but also must be within 300mm at the bottom of the std which if on a boarded lift would be just above the toe brd (225mm)-
pre sg4 the rule for unboarded access lifts used to be to keep the trannies tight to the stds placing an xtra tranny in where ever needed just to take the bounce out, and then when trannying to brded platform it was 4 transoms to a brd at 1.2m
however if erecting a temp roof structure, then once ur past the top brded lift and erecting the additional lifts up to the lid make up- because it was unboarded but needed to be strengthened the trannys would go onto the stds DC-DC
up untill the rewrite of sg4:10 you could still adopt this old method of erecting or tunnelling as they termed it - but now we are unable to erect in this method and have to have the platform fully trannied and fully boarded.
i understand some of you guys believe that transoms must be within 300mm of a std but with the exception of a heavy duty scaffold and 900mm spacing i have never heard of this before nor have i been taught it on any citb course,or been picked up by a inspector or saftey officer i was looking at some of my jobs over the last couple of days and its true sometimes the trannies work out within this surposed 300 tollerance but there are still many that dont, yes the anwer would proberbly be just to put an xtra tranny in, but untill i get picked up , i think i'll stick with the old ways

good post sp. Your right, as you say not always possible to fit trannie that close to to standard. Does everyone sets standards to fit trannies,?as usually trannies set to fit boards.

too much reading for me!!!!!!! whats for breakfast????? contintental or slap up fry????

ya right as it was a discussion about like 10 foot lifts and bracing from top hand rail as apose to above toe board i think finlty is buying breakfast lol

Am I feck! I bet that not having a none load bearing transom next to a none-NODE standard on a 1 lift independent does not make it unsafe! :nuts:

Didn't get my breakfast, not making bets like that again with site agents, they don't honour the bet.

Am I feck! I bet that not having a none load bearing transom next to a none-NODE standard on a 1 lift independent does not make it unsafe! :nuts:

Didn't get my breakfast, not making bets like that again with site agents, they don't honour the bet.

ya right it dont make it un safe its not going to fall down but its not right when making a bet make sure you both understand the bet my fav is coin flick head i win tales you lose you ok with that yeah ok flick i win yeha but its tales well if it tales you lose that means i win :laugh:

I've read that the transoms are to be within 300mm of the standard on a non working lift but I've not seen anywhere where it says they should be installed within 300mm of the standard on the working lift, just at the required spacing?

Or I'm I reading wrong!

I've read that the transoms are to be within 300mm of the standard on a non working lift but I've not seen anywhere where it says they should be installed within 300mm of the standard on the working lift, just at the required spacing?

Or I'm I reading wrong!

No you're not, everyone I know does that. Transom at every standard on none working lifts then fit appropriately for boarded.

Still not had my breakfast! Don't make bets with site agents! Found out he used to be a bricky which might explain it :suspicious:

Foo.king site agents and scaffold inspectors! Ha ha

No you're not, everyone I know does that. Transom at every standard on none working lifts then fit appropriately for boarded.

Still not had my breakfast! Don't make bets with site agents! Found out he used to be a bricky which might explain it :suspicious:
All Bricklayers are double crossing vermin that would ask for a site instruction for the time it took to write a site instruction, they couldn't get up speed if they fell off the scaffold.They are not to be trusted but are suprisingly good at measuring things, like bricks and blocks which they moan about having to place on top of each other yawn...yawn. You have more chance of getting a breakfast off an Eathiopian hunger striker than a brickie.

Or I'm I reading wrong!

like i said earlier bri - with the updated sg4:10 all lifts technically if we are to erect to the rules would be working lifts ,as it states we have to erect from a fully broarded and single handrailed lift, only the boards get raised so the 300mm rule wouldnt necessarily be a prob unlike the old 2 brd run with 1 tranny to a set of stds;)

All Bricklayers are double crossing vermin that would ask for a site instruction for the time it took to write a site instruction, they couldn't get up speed if they fell off the scaffold.They are not to be trusted but are suprisingly good at measuring things, like bricks and blocks which they moan about having to place on top of each other yawn...yawn. You have more chance of getting a breakfast off an Eathiopian hunger striker than a brickie.
Brickies are undoubtedly the scum of the building trade,never met a good un.
I'm so glad I now work on stations/refineries,only now I've gotta put up wi welders who are another bunch of total moanalot gobshites!!

Top Bottom