Transoms next to standards and incomplete signs

And ledger brace?

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Site agent! Only so much you can take before you start challenging silly corrections. I didn't put the scaffold up, it rarely works out the transoms don't sit next to standards but in this case one had been placed just past the standard, beyond 150mm to catch the end of the board.

I've never in my life been pulled on that before, and never been told by anyone that a standard requires a transom.... on singles.... to hold it in place.

ledger brace ??? you meaning no more than 300m from node point

unboarded lifts need to be fully transomed not three to a 13ft bd, but minimum every 1.2metres to coinside with regs and yes you can go on top with aberdeens

So this 300mm rule for being close to the NODE, is infact for aberdeens, not board bearing transoms?

That's my understanding, yes.

Heres a good one though....would need to check but sure it says somewhere that transoms should not be placed in the middle 1/3 of the span of the ledger...:weird:

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Might want to check what SG4 says.....have a feeling there might be something in there.

ledger brace ??? you meaning no more than 300m from node point

No mate, a NODE requires a ledger brace as well. They're the strongest points of the scaffold, and triangles are stronger than squares!

unboarded lifts need to be fully transomed not three to a 13ft bd, but minimum every 1.2metres to coinside with regs and yes you can go on top with aberdeens

Yep I hate seeing that done

That's my understanding, yes.

Heres a good one though....would need to check but sure it says somewhere that transoms should not be placed in the middle 1/3 of the span of the ledger...:weird:

Thank you.

You sure that's not sleeves/joints? They're supposed to be kept close to the standards.

abberdeans are better underneath after base lift saves putting swivels on,

i was under the impression node was ledger tranny standard and as it say something along the lines of a brace should be situated no more than 300mm form a node also,

abberdean have to go on the standards av neevr no or seen them go on the ledgers so that really wouldnt need to be said if that makes sence abberdean standard to standard on doubbles

Last edited:
This is what happen when you show a little respect

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

caps lock off fucin internet enters without finishing post

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

i call them pinchrods i only put them on the standards when they are used as check fitting so i will never again call them an ABERDEEN

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Lost in terminology

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Might want to check what SG4 says.....have a feeling there might be something in there

I cant see why technical guidence would be in safety guidence

I think it depends on what your doing flinty as to how far from the written rules you venture , if your doing a 3 lift house front compared to a 12 lift block , but i was taught its 30cm from a standard and a brace every other standard. I only use " Aberdeens " as tie points under slung on ledgers , or as checks on beam work .

No mate, a NODE requires a ledger brace as well. They're the strongest points of the scaffold, and triangles are stronger than squares!

Yep I hate seeing that done

Thank you.

You sure that's not sleeves/joints? They're supposed to be kept close to the standards.

Ah yes Flinty that's right, thanks

Hey philo its a Pinchrod on ledgers aberdeen goes on standards or does it?

To be honest seveo i never heard of a Aberdeen till i came on here , they re just trannies on doubles , would use them on a temporary roof support scaffold . But have never used them on a independent only for tie point.

I think it depends on what your doing flinty as to how far from the written rules you venture , if your doing a 3 lift house front compared to a 12 lift block , but i was taught its 30cm from a standard and a brace every other standard. I only use " Aberdeens " as tie points under slung on ledgers , or as checks on beam work .

I only use aberdeens where the design says to, or it's a sheeted scaffold. This is more to do with board bearing transoms. As you say the size of the scaffold will influence what you do!

The whole thing seems kind of pathetic as the scaffold is definitely NOT unsafe, it's 1 lift off the ground (not even 2m) and it's over a single transom. But I have run ragged for the past couple of weeks correcting this and that.... and then to be told I've done something wrong with this, is a bit much. I'm a do-er, but not a yes-man, and if I think someone is telling me something incorrect, they'll get told :unsure:

I have never come across what you are saying about the transoms maybe the old way of doing it before ties or the very latest cutting edge from NASC towers
i normally trannie ever 900 anyway

I have never come across what you are saying about the transoms maybe the old way of doing it before ties or the very latest cutting edge from NASC towers
i normally trannie ever 900 anyway

isnt 900 heavy duty ?

aye well we only use readylock very really use tube and fit if i can use tube and fit i will happly enjoy it really depending who am working with coz some of the lads dont understand the consept of it lol

Why you lot trying to complecate things. So long as the boards got tranny each end it dosent matter TG4 &SG 20 whats all this 8ollocks. sounds like you guys put scaffold up in court room

Think i'll start campaign to bring real scaffolding back
Who's with me

Why you lot trying to complecate things. So long as the boards got tranny each end it dosent matter TG4 &SG 20 whats all this 8ollocks. sounds like you guys put scaffold up in court room

I think a board needs more than one at each end. But I'm no expert what do I know :notrust: It's got complicated because thats what the customers want, complication, regulation and over burdening H&S.

Thanks for the replies everyone else. I'll collect my sausage and bacon roll Friday.......

if you only put tranny each end of board i think you may find your self in a court room marra :laugh::laugh:

if you only put tranny each end of board i think you may find your self in a court room marra :laugh::laugh:

I did that once and I did'nt find myself in a court room
I found myself on the floor
Trouble was I had to climb back up the 3 lifts I just desended from--up the sway brace, no ladders back in the 80's.... good ole days:unsure:

Top Bottom