Transoms next to standards and incomplete signs

Flinty

Reaction score
I've got a breakfast bet on this

Can anyone answer me:

-Do transoms need to be placed within 150mm of a set of standards on boarded lifts? Example, placing your transoms for boards, and to catch the end of the board you place the final transom past a set of standards by about 400mm, do you now need to put another transom in back behind the 'final' transom next to the standards to comply with regs?

-And are "Incomplete Scaffold" signs a legal requirement? Is there some law or is there same way someone can be prosecuted by law for not having an incomplete sign on a job?

Transoms should be within 300mm of standards node point to comply on any lift working or non working lift

Any set of standards should have a transom within 300mm been pulled a few times for this on railway work also confirmed it on advanced inspection course

Any set of standards should have a transom within 300mm been pulled a few times for this on railway work also confirmed it on advanced inspection course

See thats where I think this problem has come from.... it's only ever been heard of from inspection courses.

That's how I've always understood it Flinty.

As have I. Checked my TG:20 handbook and it makes no mention of anything about this. The diagrams in the book show boarded lifts without transoms right next to the standards.

See thats where I think this problem has come from.... it's only ever been heard of from inspection courses.

As have I. Checked my TG:20 handbook and it makes no mention of anything about this. The diagrams in the book show boarded lifts without transoms right next to the standards.

I agree myself mate but just trying to pass on the info I've been told

Stick a few more transoms in n We can do away wi boards!!!

in reply to your incomplete signs any good solicitor should or would go to any of UK's finest street job's

If you have Aberdeen transoms under your working lift the intermediate board transom can be anywhere as long as the spacing does not exceed 1.2m or to the drawing. That said best practise is within 150mm next to the standards.

Also Scafftags are not strictly a legal requirement, but using a visible tag system to supplement inspection records is one way of recording that the scaffold has been checked before use.
Info from
Frequently asked questions ? Scaffolding

sure there was a threa don here how ,manny tyransom to a board and to comform to the 300mm for a standard /node 99% of the time you needed at least 5 trannys its is 300mm away from any standard flinty as a standard should hae two points of contact tranny/abberdean ,ledger every standard should be a node if ya get me sererm like you lost your bet wee or no ?

The incomplete sign is a legal requirement under the work at height regs.

sure there was a threa don here how ,manny tyransom to a board and to comform to the 300mm for a standard /node 99% of the time you needed at least 5 trannys its is 300mm away from any standard flinty as a standard should hae two points of contact tranny/abberdean ,ledger every standard should be a node if ya get me sererm like you lost your bet wee or no ?

I still struggle to translate you sometimes :laugh::nuts:

Not every standard set needs to be a NODE, I am sure of that! Every other set should be.

Not sure if I'm buying breaky or getting fed yet....!

I still struggle to translate you sometimes :laugh::nuts:

Not every standard set needs to be a NODE, I am sure of that! Every other set should be.

Not sure if I'm buying breaky or getting fed yet....!

node point were trannsome meets ledger meets standard,
a standard should never only have 1 doubble so there fore needs a abberdean tranny in so there for it makes every standard a node point and a tranny needs to be with in 300mm of a node point so basically every standard should have a tranny with in 300mm simples lol not sure about the sign crk never seen 1 lol

always tranny next to the standards
were made to do it on Aspire jobs for years and im sure done it on my course

whose the bet with flinty?

node point were trannsome meets ledger meets standard,

And ledger brace?

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

whose the bet with flinty?

Site agent! Only so much you can take before you start challenging silly corrections. I didn't put the scaffold up, it rarely works out the transoms don't sit next to standards but in this case one had been placed just past the standard, beyond 150mm to catch the end of the board.

I've never in my life been pulled on that before, and never been told by anyone that a standard requires a transom.... on singles.... to hold it in place.

Tranny no greater than 300mm from a standard that's what you get taught, I would have to try and find it to get it in black and white though!

This is my interpretation of TG20....

Board transoms fixed on non-load bearing couplers do not need to be within 300mm of a standard.

BUT!

Aberdeen transoms are required if:

The scaffold is netted or sheeted
The scaffold is not sheeted or netted and is more than 15m high (I think - would need to check exact height it says)

The Aberdeens required at all lifts at ledger braced frames - and are required to be within 300mm of the 'node'. The node here being where the ledger meets the standard on the ledger braced frame.

So....unsheeted (or un-netted) scaffolds under 15m in height do not need Aberdeens.

Last edited:
This is my interpretation of TG20....

Board transoms fixed on non-load bearing couplers do not need to be within 300mm of a standard.

BUT!

Aberdeen transoms are required if:

The scaffold is netted or sheeted
The scaffold is not sheeted or netted and is more than 15m high (I think - would need to check exact height it says)

The Aberdeens required at all lifts at ledger braced frames - and are required to be within 300mm of the 'node'. The node here being where the ledger meets the standard on the ledger braced frame.

So....unsheeted (or netted) scaffolds under 15m in height do not need Aberdeens.

So this 300mm rule for being close to the NODE, is infact for aberdeens, not board bearing transoms?

Top Bottom