The difference between temporary and permanent structures?

A lot of people want us to jump through hoops and when we do and want them to do the stuff they are required to do, they just ignore it

yes bit like singles on handrails instead of doubles they ignore it tom!! recon it throws handrail out but they paye wages so singles it is lol!!! but we no doubles is the law

Yeah and they all take a walk around the scaffold to look at it before they sign the handover cert as well!

Yeah and they all take a walk around the scaffold to look at it before they sign the handover cert as well!

had a fellow the other day tom 22 25 walked round to sign scaffold off didn't have a ruddy clue but as he woz main client and had sat 2 day cisrs basic scaffold course he thought he was god wrong but they paye wages mate. needs addressing some of these courses from cisrs

It definitely doesn't help if they haven't got a scaffold background!

make you right tom but these youngsters no the weights stress of scaffold and load bearings where there fresh out of school so the scaffolder gets lost in figures even thou they ante got a clue 2014 am afraid!!! your never win with the spotty brigade:laugh:

Best argument against them is take the belt off and hand it too them and say........you fecking build it then.

Best argument against them is take the belt off and hand it too them and say........you fecking build it then.

and get another job lol!!!! knobs thou den they just use calculations to throw you so you say yeah ok see where your comeing from but you really ante got a clue:laugh: 1980 IF YOU ANTE SURE BEEF IT UP TODAYS SCAFFOLDING HAS GONE STUPID!!!!

ahaha we have a job with hop up legs in and in a few of the bays there is 5/6 legs 3 for the hop up some time 4 with butt end and 2 for standards and because of this there is more than 2 sleves in the bay the saftdey guy could not see the wood for the trees tried to explain to him to be able to get a stagger in the hupup legs and the standard you would need mulitples of 2 meter tube i ei 2 4 6 8 10 m tube to get over this situation of there been more than 2 sleves in the bay he still wouldnt have it tied telling him the legs a sreparate to the indapendant as its not structural to the scaffold its self and the scafofld its self is staggerd this si the same saftey fella that top me to take me gloves of when smoking raspppppppppppppppp

Cisrs should stop taken funds for courses unless there from a scaffold background the systems ££££ sighns only these days

Or make em look tiny had a sparky on a job who thought he was top boy and gave it the biggun to every one so as he was on a step ladder on the street fixing lights in the hoarding I pulled his trousers down and ran off!!! and it was in Covent garden in the piazza with everyone laughing at him Didn't have any trouble or nonsense from him again same applies I believe lol

and get another job lol!!!! knobs thou den they just use calculations to throw you so you say yeah ok see where your comeing from but you really ante got a clue:laugh: 1980 IF YOU ANTE SURE BEEF IT UP TODAYS SCAFFOLDING HAS GONE STUPID!!!!

You cant do that either thou kev, cos your deviating away from the drawing. As you say pal we cant win either way.
Slowly but surely were all becoming yes men and we dont know it.:mad:

The games fooked den!!! But its all we no spotty fresh out of school wins, scaffolding yo could earn a packet with little brains now you need to be switched on todo the game!!! The rich get richer on the scaffolders back with there BU!L S!IT
regs!!! Glad iam nearly finished with game!!!

make you right tom but these youngsters no the weights stress of scaffold and load bearings where there fresh out of school so the scaffolder gets lost in figures even thou they ante got a clue 2014 am afraid!!! your never win with the spotty brigade:laugh:

Ask to see it in writing and if they would like fries with it! Two gold stars on the name badge

Scaffolding historically has been blighted (in my experience)by the implementation of insufficient ties or the wrong ties into the wrong substrate by people who have little training or understanding of their correct use. That sounded quite sensible for me.

You are correct Dangeruss, most issues in scaffolding are caused by incorrect or inadequate something or the other.

Training was a lot longer and more informative when I started in scaffolding it involved working with talented scaffs as well as not so talented ones and you had to decide which bits were good and which were bad.

Having that knowledge was not what made you a good scaff but choosing to use the right ones did.
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

takes a lot of design and forethought to erect an immovable temporary structure!:amazed:

If it don't bend it'll break!!

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

We all get shown a tie on our courses and some even do a practicle pull test ( ncc b'ham ), and yes we can insert the correct ties into the correct substrate. Now if the ties are fitted correctly and have been proof tested, what gaurentee have we got the struture will hold the scaffold under the said loadings.

Morning Scaffy
If the scaffold pulls a brick out the building the tie still inserted in the brick....whats at fault ??

Assuming you have the correct tie in the correct place and it is tested to the correct load then the building is inadequate to withstand the forces imposed upon it by your scaffold in use.

In an earlier comment I refereed to "The Foundation clause" all my quotes and designs go out with both a foundation clause and a clause that relates the the structure being adequate to withstand loads imposed by the scaffold in use. I also have a note whereby the customer is to approve layout prior to any erection on site.

If your quote and or drawings have these notes you have placed the contractual responsibility with the customer.

regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

The main contractor not giving you confirmation that the building is adequate to take the imposed loadings :D:sick::sick:

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

But then it would be our fault for not getting it in writing first

With the correct notes in your quote and design confirmation can be implied by issuance of an order from your customer

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

I told a h and s manager that we could do the prelim band proof tests but he must ensure that the walls where adequate to sustain the loadings, he in turn told his me this who said I was trying to pass the buck!

Yes, would have been the correct answer to his statement, you are looking to pass responsibility back to your client for a building about which you know nothing. You are not structural Engineers you are scaffolding contractors.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

If you're in any doubt about the integrity of the building its essential to do preliminary tie testing before a deign is sought or a scaffold is erected. This will give such information as type of tie, tie pattern etc.....If the substrate isn't adequate then another form of stabilisation could be required and a different approach may be needed.

Nice quote from the book Dangeruss, however tests prelim or otherwise will only test the substrate of the building and not the building.

Consider a concrete cladding panel 6m x 6m fixed to the building in 4 corners with a hilti fixing in the middle.
Your tester will test the anchor as a local test but will not test the panel in a global sense. When tested by applying the load on the panel without being propped locally to the tie you may find the panel could break or become dislodged.
regards
Alan

Nice quote from the book Dangeruss, however tests prelim or otherwise will only test the substrate of the building and not the building.

Consider a concrete cladding panel 6m x 6m fixed to the building in 4 corners with a hilti fixing in the middle.
Your tester will test the anchor as a local test but will not test the panel in a global sense. When tested by applying the load on the panel without being propped locally to the tie you may find the panel could break or become dislodged.
regards
Alan

I remember reading an article on something similar. It was about a bridge giving way inside a shopping mall in so far off place. They had a bridge at high level spanning from one side to the other at the top floor. This was supported at either end and had stays from the ceiling to support the middle. The subsequent bridges at lower levels had the same arrangement but where there was no ceiling to support the middles, they hung from the bridge above. All was well until there was a ceremony in the centre and the bridges were full. The high level ceiling supports gave way leading to a vertical domino effect killing loads of people in the process. The same kind of principle with hangers on hangers on hangers.
PS Rob and Gordon said to say hello

You are correct Dangeruss, most issues in scaffolding are caused by incorrect or inadequate something or the other.

Training was a lot longer and more informative when I started in scaffolding it involved working with talented scaffs as well as not so talented ones and you had to decide which bits were good and which were bad.

Having that knowledge was not what made you a good scaff but choosing to use the right ones did.
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

If it don't bend it'll break!!

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Assuming you have the correct tie in the correct place and it is tested to the correct load then the building is inadequate to withstand the forces imposed upon it by your scaffold in use.

In an earlier comment I refereed to "The Foundation clause" all my quotes and designs go out with both a foundation clause and a clause that relates the the structure being adequate to withstand loads imposed by the scaffold in use. I also have a note whereby the customer is to approve layout prior to any erection on site.

If your quote and or drawings have these notes you have placed the contractual responsibility with the customer.

regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

With the correct notes in your quote and design confirmation can be implied by issuance of an order from your customer

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

Yes, would have been the correct answer to his statement, you are looking to pass responsibility back to your client for a building about which you know nothing. You are not structural Engineers you are scaffolding contractors.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

regards
Alan

Thanks Alan, I don't suppose you fancy publishing your notes and clauses?,:cheesy:

regards
Alan

I remember reading an article on something similar. It was about a bridge giving way inside a shopping mall in so far off place. They had a bridge at high level spanning from one side to the other at the top floor. This was supported at either end and had stays from the ceiling to support the middle. The subsequent bridges at lower levels had the same arrangement but where there was no ceiling to support the middles, they hung from the bridge above. All was well until there was a ceremony in the centre and the bridges were full. The high level ceiling supports gave way leading to a vertical domino effect killing loads of people in the process. The same kind of principle with hangers on hangers on hangers.
PS Rob and Gordon said to say hello

Morning Dangeruss,
two of the best scaffs I ever had the pleasure of working with and taking the p1ss out of. Hope they are well and still working, would love to talk to them, give them my regards
thanks
Alan

---------- Post added at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Thanks Alan, I don't suppose you fancy publishing your notes and clauses?,:cheesy:

how did you guess, I can hint and advise where I can Tom but commercial knowledge is a sensitive subject.

For most of these notes dig out any drawing from a reputable Engineer they will most likely be plastered down the right hand side of his standard notes. The same can be said for any quote from any of the big players.
regards
Alan

I work with them most days Alan, They still take the p1ss if they can. I met them when they left Cambridge SGB and moved to Northampton. We all worked on the MK theatre together, and kept in touch ever since. Now we all work at a massive food plant together every day. Can you remember Project Dragon fly in Cardiff I worked there for 5 months erecting , I think Alan Tindale was the designer ?

I work with them most days Alan, They still take the p1ss if they can. I met them when they left Cambridge SGB and moved to Northampton. We all worked on the MK theatre together, and kept in touch ever since. Now we all work at a massive food plant together every day. Can you remember Project Dragon fly in Cardiff I worked there for 5 months erecting , I think Alan Tindale was the designer ?

Whilst I had nothing to do with Dragonfly I remember the project. Tindale is in Oz now.

If you were in Northampton with Robert & Gordon I guess Peter Voysie was there then? Another nice guy

Top Bottom