The difference between temporary and permanent structures?

[/COLOR]

how did you guess, I can hint and advise where I can Tom but commercial knowledge is a sensitive subject.

For most of these notes dig out any drawing from a reputable Engineer they will most likely be plastered down the right hand side of his standard notes. The same can be said for any quote from any of the big players.
regards
Alan

Ha ha, it's always worth a try though eh!!!

Thanks Alan;)

Whilst I had nothing to do with Dragonfly I remember the project. Tindale is in Oz now.

If you were in Northampton with Robert & Gordon I guess Peter Voysie was there then? Another nice guy
I did my first days scaffolding when I was 15 with Pete, we were working in Dunstable for Laing !

I remember Dragon fly, I smile when our lads complain about boarding out. That job had 28,000 boards and 3000 4m unit beams, 125ft up in the rafters of 3 Jumbo jet hangers. Proper scaffolding, SGB gave us all a brand new harness with no lanyard ! still you'd look good on the ground if you fell off. The only job I honestly thought I'd die working on !!!!!

Interesting thread no??
That said, in general scaffolds are not normally designed with the view of sacrificial elements for a number of reasons.
Consider the following:
Sheeting comes Off in high winds lands on the windscreen of the passing number 37 bus with driver George and conductor (Betty), bus swerves runs over passing old dear with mutt (Cuddles). Bus crashes into wall killing George and knocking conductor (Betty) on her ar*e spilling her change bag all over the floor.

What is your defense for detachable sheeting??

When was the last time you got a bus then Alan.:cool:cant remember the last time I saw a conductor.

So if mono has a tie pattern to release in high winds,and you say it shouldnt detatch, why is it fixed to the outside of scaff???

How times have changed in ones lifetime,would you adam n eve it!! driverless trains coming soon. I can see self erecting scaffolds coming next!:amazed:

When was the last time you got a bus then Alan.:cool:cant remember the last time I saw a conductor.

So if mono has a tie pattern to release in high winds,and you say it shouldnt detatch, why is it fixed to the outside of scaff???

1976 was last Bus ride, had the driver ever since,
Never said sheeting shouldn't detach actually I would prefer it did.
That said I can't design in sacrificial elements, you're only as good as the weakest link, but would sooner argue about sheeting coming off than scaffolds going down:)

PS Driver-less trains been in Dubai for the last two years.
I can remember when London had driver-less trains during the 80's strike!!

Surely there must b inspection for large iner city buildings.ffs u build a13ft tower in a city centre there is a mountain of paper work and evry one man and his dog tryin to pick faults.doesnt make sense

If you send your guys onto the roof of a building you must make sure that the Parapets and existing handrails are in good order each time they go up, WAHR 2005. As for the rest of the building , who knows.

1976 was last Bus ride, had the driver ever since,
Never said sheeting shouldn't detach actually I would prefer it did.
That said I can't design in sacrificial elements, you're only as good as the weakest link, but would sooner argue about sheeting coming off than scaffolds going down:)

PS Driver-less trains been in Dubai for the last two years.
I can remember when London had driver-less trains during the 80's strike!!

2009 the Dubai Metro opened.
I worked on the construction of the DLR that had driverless trains and the Victoria Line had them many years before that.

It doesn't say you cant fix it to the inside of the scaffold in TG20:13. It does recommend fixing sheeting to the inside of the scaffolding. It states that "bare scaffold tubes exposed outside of the sheeting attract wind forces and the maximum safe height may be reduced"

Surely there must b inspection for large iner city buildings.ffs u build a13ft tower in a city centre there is a mountain of paper work and evry one man and his dog tryin to pick faults.doesnt make sense

As far as I know, there is no such thing. I know they are still struggling to try and get everything up to scratch in Edinburgh after the incident there, and most street scaffs could take you to a chimney in their area that would fall with a good push.

Top Bottom