The difference between temporary and permanent structures?

I don't suppose anyone has jobs standing in the storm affected area's?[/QUOTE]

Only had a couple of sheeted jobs up, one was a 100' long by 50' wide temporary roof, been up for about 6 weeks, built to design. Sheeted and Not a thing moved.

And the other job is in the centre of the Ribble valley, fully sheeted and no design but built to table 4. Just lost a bit of sheeting that was on the top lift as the wind was blowing over the roof, but that was it.

Both jobs in exposed areas

Ties all tested as heavy duty, all boards safelinxed down, sheeting installed to manufacturers recommendations.

At the end of the day, if the jobs done right in the first place then it eliminates a whole host of problems. I'd like to know how many ties are tested properly by lads trained in how to use the testers.

I've seen it in the past at places i've worked when i've watched lads test ties and they've not got a scooby what they're doing. ' oh look at this, i've got 20kn on all mine'. I've failed to get 6.1 on mine, so i've asked him to test another and when i've watched him, he's had it adjusted that much that the d ring was pulling against the body of the tester!! No wonder he was getting 20kn!!

I know Clophill, That's where James Hanratty killed his girlfriend on the A6 layby down there. Are you looking at the job on the old abandoned church ?

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

If it was built correctly and the sheet detached due to high winds would that not be an act of God ? After all in the fitting instructions its designed with that very purpose in mind.
I suppose what needs to be considered is damage limitation. Tons of scaffold crashing down in a busy road or area , (the exact type of loacation that would lend itself to needing monarflex) or Monarflex coming off and hitting somebody. Its more likely that the scaffold would injure, kill or do more damage than the sheeting coming down. If you look at damage likelihood this must be why Monarflex is designed to detach in the first instant, otherwise it wouldn't matter. Just a thought. sorry to hear about Cuddles...again.

My point exactly, if you build it as it is intended to be built that is your defense.
We are not in a position to estimate which would cause less damage the scaffold collapse or the packed number 37 bus running into a crowd of shoppers. Thus we can only consider building the scaffold without sacrificial components.
If the sheeting then comes off and leaves your structure intact you will be able to sleep in the knowledge that you did what you needed to.
regards
Alan

So, insurance companies labelling some events as an act of God is essential in our trade? Nobody can be expected to cover all eventualities, like the storms this winter and even properly designed and installed structures have a fail point?

takes a lot of design and forethought to erect an immovable temporary structure!:amazed:

Even the permanent ones are under pressure.

Nothings permanent. Got a 14 pounder that will back me up,and a 5',as a wrecking bar

My point exactly, if you build it as it is intended to be built that is your defense.
We are not in a position to estimate which would cause less damage the scaffold collapse or the packed number 37 bus running into a crowd of shoppers. Thus we can only consider building the scaffold without sacrificial components.
If the sheeting then comes off and leaves your structure intact you will be able to sleep in the knowledge that you did what you needed to.
regards
Alan
Scaffolding historically has been blighted (in my experience)by the implementation of insufficient ties or the wrong ties into the wrong substrate by people who have little training or understanding of their correct use. That sounded quite sensible for me.

We all get shown a tie on our courses and some even do a practicle pull test ( ncc b'ham ), and yes we can insert the correct ties into the correct substrate. Now if the ties are fitted correctly and have been proof tested, what gaurentee have we got the struture will hold the scaffold under the said loadings.

If the scaffold pulls a brick out the building the tie still inserted in the brick....whats at fault ??

We all get shown a tie on our courses and some even do a practicle pull test ( ncc b'ham ), and yes we can insert the correct ties into the correct substrate. Now if the ties are fitted correctly and have been proof tested, what gaurentee have we got the struture will hold the scaffold under the said loadings.

If the scaffold pulls a brick out the building the tie still inserted in the brick....whats at fault ??

The main contractor not giving you confirmation that the building is adequate to take the imposed loadings :D:sick::sick:

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

But then it would be our fault for not getting it in writing first

ought den just seen you smashed me off the thanks list lol!!

I told a h and s manager that we could do the prelim band proof tests but he must ensure that the walls where adequate to sustain the loadings, he in turn told his me this who said I was trying to pass the buck!

If you're in any doubt about the integrity of the building its essential to do preliminary tie testing before a deign is sought or a scaffold is erected. This will give such information as type of tie, tie pattern etc.....If the substrate isn't adequate then another form of stabilisation could be required and a different approach may be needed.

I told a h and s manager that we could do the prelim band proof tests but he must ensure that the walls where adequate to sustain the loadings, he in turn told his me this who said I was trying to pass the buck!
Tell him he's a cock

Top Bottom