Palmers bites the dust

aussiebob

Reaction score
Well guy's another iconic firm is going to the wall. Palmers is closing up shop and heading for the hills.

The game is changing and not for the better I fear.

RIP Palmers

Yes that's correct but I understand they had sold quite a lump some time ago and it's these new investors who are pulling the plug on Palmers, apparently they are losing 5M a year. All their gear is being sold as scrap to an Asian firm.

my info is coming from a guy who has worked for Palmers for 18 years, he was asked to stay on and run down the current contracts, he did not, got his payout and is now with DSL. He said letters were sent out or going to be sent out to the contracts that had not yet started saying they could not offer a scaffold service. All ongoing contracts will be run down and no others entered into. Shame

no worries andy, hope all the guys on there find work. I'm sure if a company approached Palmers they may even take on some of their contracts...if they are worth it, that is.

thats not clever , indeed palmers did sell an acre of gear to generation bout 3 years ago

Shame I thought they were making a comeback .... I thought they were in both heath row and gatwick airports with some of Sgb no sorry harsco s management team .....
All very strange

If they employed GB's old management that's why they have gone skint. harsco are pulling in the rains as well at the mo. I was a site manager for GB's in 2007, the writing was on the wall then. Oh well that's life, it will give the DSL, Interserve etc a bigger slice of the market.

Shame I thought they were making a comeback .... I thought they were in both heath row and gatwick airports with some of Sgb no sorry harsco s management team .....
All very strange

Do they still have a depot in Shoreham Tim?

knew this ages ago
jumped ship back in august last year they all knew then
yes they are still in heathrow but from what the lads in the have told me it basic hours

will be a shame to see them go but yes the writings been on the wall for a while

No the shoreham depot went years ago .... It's flats now ....
I never heard a good local word for them so they were never one I wanted to work for ....
I would be interested in how others who worked for them felt but I was always told they knocked hours all the time ....

When you look at the last few years with SGB and now Palmers, you have to wonder if the big boys have had their day.
Is it just a sign of the times or have the big boys been to resistant to change?

I used to work for SGB years ago and they were a cracking company to work for but the high-ups didn't seem to understand about the day to day things.

They still had the mentality that they were SGB and if you wanted them to do your scaffolding, you would pay the price regardless.
They were obsessed with weekly and monthly meetings and reports.
Saying that, it is sad to see how they've virtually disappeared.

pannett was a pric k , arthur i thought went to d&r or was that harry , used to do labour only work for them years ago - then barry westbrook took the depot over he was fine

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Southern Division
The Southern Division of D+R Scaffold was established in 1992, strategically located in Horsham, to serve East and West Sussex, Surrey, and the western fringes of Kent.

Branch Manager:Arthur Parsons
Telephone:01403 274802
Fax:01403 275038

Cape have just lost the term contract to C&D Kaeffer on the Sellafield Nuclear Plant in Cumbria havining also lost numerous smaller contracts locally this will have a major impact on Cape in the North of England however most of the lads will TUPE so no big implications that way.

All the big players seem to get the chance of these big contracts and then **** up big style over the term / duration of these awarded contacts.

Top Bottom