lashing of ladders

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
I remember using the plastic that strapped the bails of bricks together,would be lynched if i done that theses days

haha, I think if were honest digsie we have all done that.:embarrest:

Well its better than nothing,maybe,kinda then again,im not sure

i know what u mean about the large zippie ties, being easy to use but as i remember the only way to release the ratchet tab was with the tip of a knife,which normally damaged the tie and allowed it to slip when reused, or was simpler to just cut it away and use a fresh one,no probs when i wasn't paying for them -but now i am and time and motion v costings will always take over, lot easier to lose apacket of them to light fingers lolo
the straps are very strong,easy reusable,quick and foolproof to use- but hey hoe like i said before its horses to courses, if u guys prefer the rope method then fair enough - but guys dont fubar a tried and tested bit of kit just because you haven't tried it, i just wish i was the one who thought about it in the first place £££ cha-ching£££ lol
abit like the wave clip for ci sheets when it first hit- everyone was saying how much it cost,how bulky it was, but i bet most people prefer its use now

Some of these cable ties are reusable aint they?

:idea:Set the foot of ladder into concrete and tackweld the top. Sorted;)

Yes, they can be reused of your able to stick a knife in the little clasp at the back/top of the Zip Tie and release the catch/clasp. :)
You should be able to slide the Tie back through the 'Zip', if you know what i mean.

You'll need a real knife though - something strong, as i usually find that if your rough and not gentle that you can easily snap a Stanley Blade doing this.

A few weeks ago I would have disagreed but now it seems you may be right depending on the ladder you are using.

wire or rope for me,heres one for garry after tieing ladder with wire seen people putting the spare of the wire into the corral tube double would this have an effect on the perfomance of the double would you think????

We used to have some of the re-usable cable ties & would use a nail or something like that to free the ratchet.You could use your own finger nail to free them but if you slipped it hurt like hell.

Celtidbhoy

Are your referring to putting the gash of the wire lashing into the gate of a fitting and doing up the fitting ???which would be acting as an anchoring point ???.

If so, then this practice would effectively render the wire lashing unserviceable in future use due to the crimping and perhaps severing a % of the wire rope, together with reducing the friction surface of the gate to the tube thus reducing the friction stress somewhat, the rouges yarn with runes through the center core of the Lashing would be subject to deterioration due to atmospheric and environmental conditions thus denominating the Lashing to quarantine...

Garry...

Still done it plenty Garry.:embarrest:

And was the quarantine you speak off the big blue skip.:cool:

Alistair

Yip the big blue skip---OR a saltwater test send them to Neptune Scaffolding Co. ;) PMSL...

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Done it plenty in the past too Alistair, lashing boards---until I used a lashing and got a fechin needle in my finger--- it feckin festered, I went to the Medic and had to fill out an accident report, what a feckin carry on :(

haha, call that a carry on, worst trip to the medic was with ring sting working near the flare all day. Felt like a wee school child when she asked me to bend over.:eek:

Alistair---aye RING STING PMSL---if I wanted a day off just put a wee strand of tobacco in yer eye and take it oot with a fag paper, then go to medic and say that you got a flash from the welder, worked a treat every time---and there was always the North Sea Stare, a vacant look that resembled a mild form of lunacy---that one got you a chopper and an I love me jacket though...PMSL :nuts:

Don't laugh Gary but I saw the stare once. It was really up to the squad how long we did and no one was wanting to do any longer than a bog standard trip as we were all just back from holiday and as rough as, but this one boy wouldn't shut up about doing a 3 weeker or more as he was so skint so eventually the chargehand (Big Gaz Formerly from Muchalls) agreed. As soon as he did this fella hit the floor with depression and got the stare so bad the OIM confined him to barracks until he could get him a chopper which took a good few days due to weather. That's why I always tell the un-initiated to be careful what they wish for.

A sqaure faced single fits over modern stiles perfectly,then can only be removed with a spanner,there is a nasc guide on ratchet straps,sg25:06 section 3.7,for ladders and they must be approved and tested;)

Alistair

Aye, my last communication with Big Gaz he was working in the LOGGS with RBG, now resides in Edinburgh---worked wi him at Aberdeen Scaffolding ( favorite saying as I recall was RAM IT---lol...

haha, still is.:laugh:

I worked with him at Maritime and we were well suited as I wanted to get stuck right into everything and he couldn't be ersed doing anything so we made a great team. Actually he taught me loads as I had never been off shore before so he would stand there saying put that there and put that there and that was it, a far better education than any of the centres could offer.

I still speak to him from time to time, not quite as often as I once did but he is still full of it, living the dream with no real great desire to go back out there to earn a living and to be quite honest I can't blame him after years of it.

Top Bottom