lashing of ladders

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
Never seen them myself but I most certainly dont like the look of them.Whats wrong with simple blue lashing never failed to do the job in my eyes.Also if they arent on the course they are not legal and Im sure the correct way to lash a ladder is on the Part one.

Never used lashings on any of my courses, alleys had to use the ladder hooks. We weren't even shown how to use one, but every site I've worked on uses the blue bt lashings & personally I wouldn't use anything else. It grips tighter than my mrs with my bank card in hand. :p

Last edited:
whilst I agree Paddy especially the wallet bit, the centres have been using these things and even singles to fit their ladders ever since the inception of fibre glass and the red steel coated ladders. I still use 18ft of blue bt rope as per my training but things are moving on in that regard as well. I would say the rope would be stronger but I have an inclination I might be wrong. Who would have thought we would be hooking on to a wrappa sling?

I have been saying that SP, the young team always tell me the training centres always use the clips or hooks to fit their ladders. We always have and always will use the blue rope but that doesn't mean it's the only way.:idea:

Is there no Guidance from NASC on the subject of Lashings ( Ladders and Boards ) ???.

Perhaps the teaching of and implementation of the preferred method of securing a Ladder has been devolved to the Scaffolding Service Companies to decide which method to include in their Scaffolding Manual and Procedures.

Is there a record and regime of Inspection for the Maintenance of the ratchet mechanism ect ect...

If I had the shout, I certainly would not deploy these straps on a Project, but , then again what the feck do I know :nuts:

There will be guidance and you can bet your bottom dollar it will give you a few examples of different techniques without recommending any of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturers of these straps could produce reams of data explaining how much stronger they are than bt rope.

New technologies Gary, things move on a pace. Yes it will mean that some of the younger ones will have no idea how to fit a ladder should someone forget to throw the straps in the truck but loosing skills such as this is nothing new.

Have you ever installed a Generation crash deck? We have done a few with these straps and the only thing you really have to watch for is overtightening them as they will put a belly in the wall, something I do now and again just to piss of the brickies.:cool:

Last edited:
Alistair

I have no resistance to New Technologies, indeed I have Championed a few in my time, however, I would need a lot of convincing that anything other than a B.S. applied knotted and boxed Lashing could afford the same security, longevity and fiscal attributes as a conventional three fathom Lashing...

There is a place for all New Technologies one must evolve and move with the times and as you have mentioned there is a place for them, however, for the securing of Ladders I reserve the right to embargo...

Very best regards :love:

Garry...

I concur Gary but go on the ladder web site and you will see these things are in common use, I don't know how to break this to you but even cable ties are being mooted as a restraint system for ladders.:eek:

yes I have seen cable ties used but only the thick 1's.

yes scaffolders using thick cable ties about 450mm long

Only kidding Steve, to be honest I'm already very aware of the attributes of cable ties as we use them to lash our boards with in conjunction with the retainers. It's probably old fashioned but I would never use them for a ladder.

Alistair

OH my God :cry:---what is it coming too---Ah well I'll just have to accept it...

Cable Ties, how do they account for the recycling of spent cable ties, they are not degradable and would add to the Scaffolding Organizations Carbon Foot Print and the expense of non-retrievable parts---tut tut, it breaks a Scotsman's heart---at least you get value for money with a Traditional Lashing and it is more secure IMO :cool:

Garry...

aom....I can remember thick cable ties for securing ladders being issued by SGB some 20 years ago. You could actually pull the clip and loosen and reuse them. Can remember a few of us old boys breaking the odd fingernail doing that...... would be a reason for a medical treatment case and a day off for some of the youngsters these days??? lol

You won't get an argument from me on that score Gary. I also think Sp who is well within his rights to use these things is missing a bit of a trick in regard to security. I remember years ago I was fed up with fekin brickies ripping my jobs to bits so I built half with system and half with tube. I know you are not meant to mix but it was just a wee experiment and as I was only an employee I wasn't overly concerned. I wish I had taken photo's as the system, on my return resembled a bag of knitting and the tube was mint. It was there and then I realised if they need to put the slightest effort into moving it they will think again. It doesn't work all the time as we still get ladders being removed and sometimes never see them again but I reckon it would at least be doubled should we ever fit them with cable ties.

aye, I believe a chipped finger nail is a reportable incident now a days PMSL...:eek:

Some of these cable ties are reusable aint they?

:idea:Set the foot of ladder into concrete and tackweld the top. Sorted;)

aom....I can remember thick cable ties for securing ladders being issued by SGB some 20 years ago. You could actually pull the clip and loosen and reuse them. Can remember a few of us old boys breaking the odd fingernail doing that...... would be a reason for a medical treatment case and a day off for some of the youngsters these days??? lol

There you go, so it's not a new phenomenon? I would never have guessed but just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I'm still going for the blue rope though.:cool:

Reminds me of a question I got wrong on the course I was on last week but I'd better start a new thread.:idea:

Fredrick

Iv never seen re-useable ones---if anyone can expand on this please do so ???.

I remember that you can apply them if you use the non serrated or (Ribbed :huh:) side, the retched cannot connect and they slip out.

Cant see who you can disengage the ratchet system when under stress, can anyone explain ???.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Alistair

Start the new thread :idea:

I remember using the plastic that strapped the bails of bricks together,would be lynched if i done that theses days

They are about Gazza,dont know how to desribe them. Hswt also mentions them. Got an easy release mechanism. Seen them a few years back for tying nets to goalposts.

Top Bottom