lashing of ladders

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
S

scaffoldingsafetyservices

I did an inspection with a major company this week and they wont accept blue lashing and wil only accept the red strap ties.
has anybody got the calcs on the proof of these straps cos im very concerned that a little sprung clip is holding your life in the balance.
These pics were took on the same site on the same day.

Attachments

• 17-12-11 021.jpg
    17-12-11 021.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 17-12-11 020.jpg
    17-12-11 020.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 128
Never seen them myself but I most certainly dont like the look of them.Whats wrong with simple blue lashing never failed to do the job in my eyes.Also if they arent on the course they are not legal and Im sure the correct way to lash a ladder is on the Part one.

I would say the ladder lashing has a greater swl than those things. Those buckles look like wouldn't take much force before failing. :sad:

Surely, the Blue BT drawcord, lashing is far superior to that red sh1te thingy. If you want, you can make the BT cord have a bite like a 'Rotty' or AOM on his wallet, without fear of slipping.

whilst I agree Paddy especially the wallet bit, the centres have been using these things and even singles to fit their ladders ever since the inception of fibre glass and the red steel coated ladders. I still use 18ft of blue bt rope as per my training but things are moving on in that regard as well. I would say the rope would be stronger but I have an inclination I might be wrong. Who would have thought we would be hooking on to a wrappa sling?

Lashing: Three on the top, three on the bottom and 3 round the back, for each rail - if you know what i mean. ;)
Total length of each lashing: 3 and ½ times the length of your arms - fully stretched.

This is the CORRECT way to lash a ladder - thank you. :)

Nylon Lashing: Its also, not only easy to use, but its hardwearing and adaptable.
Better then any other type of ties out on the market, currently.

6mm blue rope mate.... WTF are those red things..lol

same here never seen the red strap thingy we always use the green lashing bit like the blue rope but stronger and it dont frae. think your quite in your rights to argue that one mate

I did an inspection with a major company this week and they wont accept blue lashing and wil only accept the red strap ties.
has anybody got the calcs on the proof of these straps cos im very concerned that a little sprung clip is holding your life in the balance.
These pics were took on the same site on the same day.

I'd tie them as per training.

6mm blue rope mate.... WTF are those red things..lol

The use of 4 to 6 mm thick polyproplyne rope (wire lashings offshore) is fine and is an acceptable practice. (Unless otherwise stated by site safety check this out first and ask for clarification in black and white and ensure the document is signed). Ladders shall be tied top and bottom up to 6m. Ladders over 6m shall be tied top middle and bottom.

Looking at the pictures though, you want to look at where the ladders are located. Looks from the photos some of the tubes (stop ends etc) are located in between the rungs of the ladder which is not acceptable, thus leaving a potential slip or trip hazard. All tubes at the ladder access points should NOT be located in between ladder rungs and should be located parallel with to the rungs, leaving a clear footing for access and egress. Thats my two pence worth hope this helps. Oh, never seen those red thingies b4. I would ask the on the construction manager and the on-site HSE/Safety manger what the F**k are they and who allowed them to be used. That'll put the crap up em.

Scaffs don't scare and good luck.

Scaffs don't scare.

lashing

scaffoldingsafetyservices had this problem 2009 test came back at 5KN breaking strain
just downloaded this for you type in 6mm blue rope

Size Approx Breaking Strain
6mm 550 Kg 220m coil 10.85
8mm 960 Kg 220m coil 22.25
10mm 1425 Kg 220m coil 25.10
12mm 2030 Kg 220m coil 44.50
*16mm 3500 Kg 220m coil 114.75
*18mm 4450 Kg 220m coil 129.50
*24mm 7600 Kg 220m coil 197.00
90' x 10mm Wagon Rope c/w Eye

I'd tie them as per training.

my thoughts exactly but this is what you will come across if you have to deal with Laing o'rourke

This baffled me totally but this is now there company policy. I asked for justification and im still waiting.

I thought the ***** had outlawed wooden ladders on site...

The red straps look far to easy to undo, It makes it easier for other trades to come and borrow the ladders. At least with abit of blue lashing it takes a bit of undoing.

The red straps look far to easy to undo, It makes it easier for other trades to come and borrow the ladders. At least with abit of blue lashing it takes a bit of undoing.
Aom ok bud you had me finkin 4 a bit...wondered if I owed him some wonga...lol

Top Bottom