how long to do this

3 of us got five days to do the lot , the first day we had the induction and tipped the wagon so that left 4 days , the second day one of the lads was sent to another job so there was only 2 of us , there was 3 of us on the third day so we finished the first of the 4 scaffolds and started the second . so now we have 2 days left to erect the other 2 and a half jobs and put in the 2000 21 s and the short tube . no we dont get paid for inductions or tipping wagons , we have worked in heavy snow with only one break instead of two for the last 3 days . its a 2 hour drive each way for me by the time i pick people up and we dont get paid travel ,i leave the house at 5.30 and get home at 17.30 .and all this for 8.52 an hour ,if the prices are right i ll be on 8 hours for the twelve i work. is this the worst job in the world

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Are you at Boulmer mate ?
na mate scarborough / whitby way , i wouldnt dare name it they made me sign the secrecy act and they have machine guns

No nae chance, I did think 5 day's to start but who ever priced this has never walked that amount of gear that distance in their life. We did a small access tower round an old ruin a while back, they bought the gear of me and thank f they did as there was no way the boy's would have carried it back for me, in fact I got a call around a year later to say if we would carry it out we could keep the gear, needless to say the stuff is still lying there. Another company came in with a chopper and airlifted the gear in place to go round the whole thing, now that's the way to get gear to a job.:idea:

if its on an airfield,why cant a hiab,or forklift be used.im sure heavier things have been there before,like thirty tons of airplane landing.you must be mad to do this job with them limits on it.if you go in with a 18 ton wagon,the load aloan will be about 10,or 11 tons.someones stitched you up.fekin 60 tons of back weight.let them hump it.:eek:

now and again you get jobs on national grid where you have to walk the gear to the circuits across deep shingle some jobs 50x50 birdcages 3 lifts but normally you have 8 men and then people are still moaning but you get payed probably why the big firms charge so much money.

allan if your from scarborough/whitby way you all use alloy there...lol...

strip the job sell the gear and go to a armer climate lol

yeah wheres the job at allan,who says scaffolding is fooooked.....

I dont know if this will have any meaning relating to the Transport problem here, however,(Another boring army story):wondering:

In 2000 when i was still in the TA, for our 2 weeks excercise, we were doing a loop of the UK with our drops trucks, which at the time, unbeknown to joe public were carring live bombs of all descriptions, to be placed at military establishments all over the UK.

My Team and myself were based at Newquay in a RAF base stuck in a empty hangar, waiting for the pacs of trucks coming in and out at the rate of about 4 pacs of 3 per day.

Anyway, on arrival at the base, we were screened for over 2 hrs for 1 lwb land rover and 2 x4 tonners. The reason being, Stones,grit,sand etc in the tread of our tyres, which in turn could lead to the RAF plant, which has never left the airfield in its entirety, tracking foriegn bodies onto the Airfield (Before you start, dont go there with the foreign bodies jokes);).

When our trucks came to be refueled,unloaded and serviced etc they were allocated a 'Isolation area' out the way, where we had to go to them. waffle,waffle,waffle:sad:

You know Paddy, you're dead right

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

It was just another boring army story:toung::D:D

You're worse than uncle Albert.:laugh:

right oh then AOM i thought you were my mate. Better than talking about GOLF, beat you with a walking stick and a tangerine;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NoW08CHNRs]YouTube - Only Fools and Horses - Funniest Uncle Albert Moment[/ame]

Brilliant, funniest thing ever on tv.

this one should keep you busy for a while alan,how long dose the price allow you??
5 days for erecting the scaffold and putting all the kentlage in . every wagon tipped by hand . we lost most of the first day having an induction and tipping a wagon , by the time we walked some gear through the building we only had an hour erecting .so basically we had 4 days . and there was only 2 of us on the second day .so that leaves 3 . the worst thing is they cant see how wrong they are . and my supervisor just agrees with every thing his bosses tell him . i think if i was getting paid well for it i could maybe do it in 10 - 15 days depending on the weather .but im not getting paid well for it

Allan, It is what it is, it takes what it takes, gaffa probably knows your squad are good grafters, thats why you got it.
Don't accept price, if he give you one?
put the "scaffold" up in the normal time it takes you.
ask for some laboures or more help to put in the crazy ammount of kenteledge.
Just plod on pal if you weren't there you would be somewhere else doing the same ****, don't let it get you down,

by the way 3 men 14 days by my reckoning (but humping gear is very hard to get right) but if i went to price it thats what i would put in + 1 day for buggeration,

Oh and nothing to strip because i wouldn't be there;)

grim mate thats some hike and 2000 21s
Tell your gaffer you want extra labradors and he pays for them it will take a fukin week to get all
Gear to job wi 3 men 80 hrs sounds a bit shi t to be honest if I was gaffer I'd give 2.5 weeks to do it in but thing is the price he's put in to get the job cos sum firms are buying work now

cant get extra labradors as we are the only 3 with military clearance and asbestos ticket . thanks for the replies now i know for definete their taking the pi$$ . had a phone about and got a few irons in the fire for next week . didnt want to leave cos it was a decent job but they have done it twice now so can ram it.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

i will name them all next week when i get another job ,including the designer who for me should never ever be allowed to design scaffolds and i know most of you lot agree

Alan, agree with you that designer is useless, and for the firm to accept it they must have wanted as much gear as possible on the job for hireage. No account was taken of the manual handling requirements which state that gear must be brought as close as possible to the job to cut down on excessive carrying. As your not allowed a forklift, extra hands should be employed' the firm having won the contract should have advertised for lads with the neccesary clearance to man up the job. Cheapskates come to mind.

Top Bottom