Going rate

Your obviously one of the more favourable firms then b-safe and if you look after your lads they will stick around. Let's face it a couple of hundred ft if you've got a good run say 2nd lift, handrailed and toeboarded, 2 handed with wagon close can be done in a couple of hours ish or till lunch if your plodding.
If your on price you should get paid for what you actually do and be able to earn bonus if not you lose the motivation

I do my attitude to scaffolding briefly changed a few years ago but only due to family arguements , I enjoy scaffolding , I dont know everything and I have my limits like everyone does , but I enjoy what I do , a bit for this firm
Bit for that , it gives variation and I get to meet a manner of different scaffs some better than others but the ********* I could count on one hand !
I've been on Surreys the past 8 months and had a good time there good lads approachable office staff and some nice jobs , I jus want to stretch my mind and ability a bit more and get back into shores and stuff like I started on , hence my move on Monday
Scaffolding in my opinion is only hard if u make it hard

If the job get's any easier I could get my mother out to pass up they beams.;)

spot on ash 99% of scaffs ive meet salt of the earth and you couldnt have the same crack in any other job no mater where you r from a scaffolder is the same the world over and all mates even if we havent meet yet

Out of the 5 we have on our firm ,
2 have been there a minimum of 8 years
2 have been there 7 years and one has been there 20 years
They all get on well with the occasional lovers tiff but hey we all through them now an again ;-)
All good lads that don't often grumble , and I like to think get looked after by us, we never lay off when work gets slack unlike some other firms , when Ivey good fellas u have to keep em or they might not be there when u want em back

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

A big lass is she?:)

5'9 and about 9.5 stone so no is the answer to ur question pal
( helps that we run all alloy tube though )

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

A big lass is she?:)

5'9 and about 9.5 stone so no is the answer to ur question pal
( helps that we run all alloy tube though )
Although she will carry a 21 steel beam across a site almost as well as most blokes

You're lucky, if I handed any of my crew a steel beam they would probably sue me for constructive dismissal.

No, the firm is just 11 years old and has never owned anything other than alloy. If I did it now they would hit the cobbles.

True u get used to it , we started off galv but u jus can't get enough on the 7.5t trucks to warrant 2 blokes money in galv as u know the weight difference is x 3 roughly which makes em able to do more ! Plus we use dog bones so no ledger braces ;-)
Oh and all our ally has van tiel ends so no poxy sleeves to do up or joints in the way of the lift ,
Hang on thsts why we still have the same fellas were makin they're life too bloody easy lol

You're right, add that to my new impact wrench and I will turn in to the fat controller before the year end.:eek:

They are in it to make money I agree it just seems they wanna make the same money
No matter what price or extras are made meaning it's always the blokes who take it in the pocket
I was on for a firm big one in Essex not mentioning any names
But we all had to take a tenner a day cut till things picked up
A week later the guvners bought the box at west ham and a new bentley

blokes a multimillionaire mr m!!!!!! wouldnt be bothered about a few tenners a hour on the rate hes had the westham stand for years as for the bentley its probably hes run a round you wana look closer to home blokes as straight as they come!!!!!

shouldnt have to work every weekend either to have a decent life style you want your holidays and a bit of flash cash this seems to be what you have to do these days 5 days ante a lot these days once youve paid your bills its only the weekend rates that bump your readys up if you lucky to get time half and double time some only want to paye flat money which is fine if your local and back home by dinner

what you all working for weekends top line saturday sunday 8 hour shift with a early shoot!!!! be interested what the rate is

I think...

Monday to Friday, 8am - 4pm (2 x 30min or 1 x 1hour break)
Saturday, 8am - 4pm (2 x 30min or 1 x 1hour break)
Sunday, 8am - ? (no break, job and knock)

Should be atleast £1000+ a week

Monday to Friday - £150 a day x 5 days = £750.
+
Saturday - £180 a day = £930.
+
Sunday - £180 a day = £1110, per week.

Take out tax (@ about 33%) and your on what?
£750 a week take home?

Not a fortune, considering what we have to do to earn our money, is it?

If a Slinger/Banksman can earn about £850-900 a week and a 'Traffic Marshall' or Security Guard £800 or so a week, then how can Scaffolders, who literally bust their arses every single day, risk their lives and most of the time push a job on, by putting ourselves out, more then we should do, how can we not earn atleast £1000+ a week?

Thats what id think a fair wage, for normal site work, for a good, reliable and trustworthy/hardworking Basic or Advanced Scaffolder.

Last edited:
If I could earn £800 a week as a security guard jase I'd do it !
And say **** scaffolding !
I think you'll find people that say they're on £8-900 a week for jobs like that are lying ******** !
Like everyone has a mate that has mate that has a Nissan skyline running 1000 hp yeah ?!

That's usually how I find it as well Ash.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Security guards that I know are lucky to break the minimum wage.

Just a generalisation.

All im saying, is that we should be on x-amount a week.
Other trades who:

• A. Dont work as hard as we do.
  • B. Dont have to work as dangerously as we do.
  • C. Dont have the qualifications we do.
  • D. Aint as relied apon, as we are (i.e: Without Scaffolding, theres hardly any other trades who can work)

Earn ALMOST as much as we do.

Its not on and its not right.
Thats all im trying to say.

As well as that, i think, £1000+ a week (before tax) would be a fair wage for Basic/Advanced Scaffolder.

Top Bottom