ECITB and CISRS Assessed Route

Should ECITB and assessed route scaffolders be treated the same?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I was trained. They should not be allowed to scaffold so the money will go up.

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
As a result of some interesting posts on the subject of competency. Thought I would post a poll to see where members thoughts lie on the issues of whether assessed route scaffolders who have not been trained should be deemed competent. And if so why didn't the CITB allow the ECITB guys the same privilege?

I was on the CISRS Assessed Route.
I passed and only allowed to do it, due to having sufficient on-site experience... and i passed = fully qualified.

Not too sure about the ECITB scheme, dont know much about it.
Only know alot of guys had to resit the CISRS course from scratch, after ECITB went invalid.

Theres good Scaffolders without tickets (too lazy/too arrogant/too stubborn/to tight) to get their tickets? sure, and bad Scaffolders with tickets.
But like i said in the other posts, this aint 1985 anymore and things have changed and LEGALLY you CANNOT walk onto a site anymore and start slapping up jobs without the correct training.

I was trained too.
Trained by watching older Scaffolders work miracles and f.uck things up, by working my own miracles and f.uckng things up myself.

10 years it took me to become 'grade 3'.

So no... like any other training course in the world.
If you pass - then LEGALLY you are entitled to do the job, with out question, does it mean you are good at that job??? not necessarily.

I held the old citb advance also the ecitb advance,plus 20 odd years experience in industrial and chemical/gas installations working with some very fine old scaffs,the assessed route was touted as a way for the ecitb cardholders to change over to cisrs without too much grief,though it seems many were'nt informed about the change over and missed the deadline,i was already a very experienced scaffolder merely moving with the times to obtain the relevant card that the industry required,the assessed route contained exactly the same TRAINING only condensed into a shorter period as confirmed by the course tutor,and it does get tiresome being told from scratch how to do a job that you've been doing for 25 years,but the instructors are desked up observing you and marking down any mistakes,we done a dropper,rake and shore,falsework and a couple of other advance works and then the dreaded portfolio when you got home,and there were no early darts so we did'nt even see a pub as has been suggested,so to even suggest that these ecitb boys are in any way inferior just adds insult to injury,the way that sector of the industry were treated by the the powers that be was a disgrace,so in my opinion,for what it's worth,it's the ones who did'nt get extensive experience in a wide range of scaffolding disciplines and took the so called normal route and went from zero to hero in two years who are the less trained,and does'nt it just show in the finished product:mad:

All ecitb cardholders had the chance to do the accessed route and those who didn't only have themselves to blame penny wise pound foolish is a phrase that springs to mind!!

Yes some ECITB lads couldn't be ar$ed until it was too late for them ,I know one who had to do a part 1,and he was gutted.

There is no CISRS ASSESSED ROUTE OF ENTRY. Its ecitb or citb.
God I hate when inexperienced scaffs start a poll and then ruin it by actually talking about it.

There is no CISRS ASSESSED ROUTE OF ENTRY. Its ecitb or citb.
God I hate when inexperienced scaffs start a poll and then ruin it by actually talking about it.

Ok so it was the CITB assessed route of entry then? So as it was scrapped in 2006 and CISRS cards have been in existence since long before are you saying that guys who did the assessed route did not get CISRS cards ??

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

The NVQ and portfolio system did not apply to people who started training before I think 1989. I don't know if assessed route guys had to do a portfolio. Maybe Jason Gibbs will know?

Assessed route was a 5 day course with a written test at the end no portfolio needed

Yes assessed route did portfolios and had to prove experience by completing forms and questionnaires prior to being accepted. 9 years on the tools before I did mine so I did training prior to the assessment. 9 years of learning. Is that better or worse than an 18 year old attending a Part 1 with 6 months site experience?

Yes assessed route did portfolios and had to prove experience by completing forms and questionnaires prior to being accepted. 9 years on the tools before I did mine so I did training prior to the assessment. 9 years of learning. Is that better or worse than an 18 year old attending a Part 1 with 6 months site experience?

What training did you do Tom?

I did my part 2 assessed route at 19 and didn't do a portfolio just like you say a questionnaire and a written test at the end

I did my part 2 assessed route at 19 and didn't do a portfolio just like you say a questionnaire and a written test at the end

How did you manage that mate?

You needed 5 years experience to do the part 2 ARE and 10 years to do the advanced.

HSWT I did Part 2 assessed route in 1997.
Portfolios were introduced in 1996 to achieve NVQ's. still to this day do not know why we need an NVQ.

Top Bottom