can you tell me what lenght a tower stops being a tower

There aint really any price work anywhere stledger mate , but for pricing a job an old fart like me still uses squares ( not square meters) 10 foot long x 10 high is a square so about 3 square meters a square , if that makes sense :worried:

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

So which ones on holiday Aom :wondering:

That must make me an Old Fart Too!! I still think in the old scaffold square, with an average days work per 3 man gang at 24sq per day ( 8 sq per man x 20GBP = 160GBP )
What ever happened to the old Scaffold Hours that was used in SGB days? I think 1 scaffold square equated to 3 scaffolding hours? Anyone still use these for rates??:wondering:

4 legs = tower

6 legs = independant

2m x 2 m with 9 legs =

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

max standard spacing on a tower is 2.4m,max height internal static is 12m undesigned or 4x sbd,max height external static is 8m or 3.5 x sbd;)

Max spacing of 2.4m would indicate there could be more legs in a line?
The SBD to which you refer is for freestanding what about tied?

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

I am having this same discussion (Row) with a customer at the moment.
"Tower" makes more referance to height and purpose rather than base dimension or leg content.
A tower is usually built for specific purpose ie: to give vertical access to a point in space.
An Access scaffold may be similar but gives access at various levels and lengths.

I have designed and built many towers with more than 4 legs and many towers greater in size than 13ft.

Here we work using scaffold request forms where the scaffold description and size is given by the customer who then signs for this information. The sheet is what we then charge against. If the customer askes for a tower of any size we call it a tower on our invoice and charge accordingly.

It is however good to hear differing opinion on the subject.

Last edited:
For me anything over 2.4m long is an independent. If I'm rite all system ledgers stop at around that mark before needing the next one and then you need a new standard.

2m x 2 m with 9 legs =

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Max spacing of 2.4m would indicate there could be more legs in a line?
The SBD to which you refer is for freestanding what about tied?

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

I am having this same discussion (Row) with a customer at the moment.
"Tower" makes more referance to height and purpose rather than base dimension or leg content.
A tower is usually built for specific purpose ie: to give vertical access to a point in space.
An Access scaffold may be similar but gives access at various levels and lengths.

I have designed and built many towers with more than 4 legs and many towers greater in size than 13ft.

Here we work using scaffold request forms where the scaffold description and size is given by the customer who then signs for this information. The sheet is what we then charge against. If the customer askes for a tower of any size we call it a tower on our invoice and charge accordingly.

It is however good to hear differing opinion on the subject.

9 legs = a birdcage.. or an unfinished independant..lmfao

max height of first set of ties on tied tower is 6m alan,amount of legs dont determine if its a tower or not,however 1 leg is defo a pogo stick !

This is exactly the point If we the Scaffolding Experts cant agree on what things are called how do we convince others to pay for it?

checked mine from part 2 revision sheet,not about agreeing its whats correct,now who defines whats correct is a whole new ball game and if you hold nasc down i will kick em ;)

Is it just descriptive then? You may need towers to bridge openings supporting main scaffold. Theres one outside Goodge st station. Has a series of dollys to bridge over openings. 1 dolly ledgerbraces are all sleeved, 6ft and 2ft to make up to 8's.:amazed:

for me mate a tower is 2.4m or less with plan bracing at the kicker,every other lift underneath the working lift and braced on all four sides all the way up,heights and base dimensions as stated in regs,anything else is for me is an independant or birdcage,birdcages can be mobile as long as you adhere to the 1 up 2 across principal,all this is covered in your part 1 and 2,hope that helps ;)

Surely an independent covers one side of a building and a tower covers a section

think about it lads, u should all of erected a 13ft independant on your part 1,maximum bay size is very light duty at 2.7m(9ft)

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

joebag has got it bang on, a tower is classed as a lightduty scaffold which means the maximum size it can be is 2.4m x 2.4m

In a portfolio you're required to fill in your "tower" and "independent" scaffolds separately, so they should be noticeably different?

Isn't a 'true' tower, technically a square rather than a line? You base it out as wide as the length (unless you want to add some elaborate buttress to it, then make it wider) or am I thinking of something else?

A tower has 4 legs.. FFS.. end of...

fact Joe... can't believe were discussing this.. A TOWER HAS 4 FUKIN LEGS U THICK *****...lmfao..

i think flinty nailed it , its gotta be a square , if that square gets bigger its gonna turn into a birdcage , i think , im just a trainee

ill ask someone next week , lol:p

Last edited:
Top Bottom