better tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scaffytax - keep it all 100% rebate

I remember many years ago in the helli port before we went off shore there was some people claiming to sort your tax out and all the lads got ££££ back then got proper fffuccckked over off the tax man and had to pay the % the company took.
I am not saying this will happen with better tax my Q how can people claim this if the working man is not getting it anyway ? If that makes sence ????

Well said Rigger,tho not all of us are good at paperwork,myself included. Ive been in trouble with tax affairs in the past. Went through a few accountants,where things seem to get worse.Untill my present accountant who I wouldnt be without.

I remember many years ago in the helli port before we went off shore there was some people claiming to sort your tax out and all the lads got ££££ back then got proper fffuccckked over off the tax man and had to pay the % the company took.
I am not saying this will happen with better tax my Q how can people claim this if the working man is not getting it anyway ? If that makes sence ????

Was that around 15 years ago Andy?

I do remember a rum lot called tax back uk who were claiming back thousands for the boy's travelling to and from fixed sites like Nigg Bay. I quizzed my own accountant about it and he told me it would end in tears as you could only claim if they started you on one site and asked you to travel to another not from home to the original fixed site. I wasn't happy at the time but was more than a little delighted when I met the same boy's on the hook up and they were telling me all the cash had to be re-paid. That's one of the main reasons I still use the same guy and whilst some might say he isn't as creative as some if ever an inspection came my way I could turn on the computer and tell him to fill his boots and go and do a days graft happy in the knowledge all is above board. A good accountant is worth their weight in gold.

Andy
" how can people claim this if the working man is not getting it anyway "

Quite simply..... thay are not claiming for expenses they are entitled too.When you get your tax return you will also recieve a booklet with a step by step guide as what you can claim for.Study this document.A little bit of nosing around the HM Revenue & Customs web site can also be of help when looking for explanations and examples

If you were out of work and do not Claim jobseekers Allowance you will not get any payment

Same with the tax man he may owe you thousands of pounds,but will not refund your over payments until you make a claim for them

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Think I must make it clear that I am talking about my own personel tax returns in this thread.

When ever I have owned companies I have always had the best company accountant I could ,they have saved me a fortune over the years.

Accounting is a black art as far as I am concerned

I knew that Rigger, maybe mixed my stories up a bit there but the tax back uk thing was for personal, it was also the explanation for staying with the same accountant when the firm came to pass.

tax back lol still hear guys talk about them....they just closed and disappeared loads of guys were left with heafty bills if a can mind you dodged a bullet that day aom.

the O.I.L.C pamphlet has an article warning of tax rebate companies claiming they can get you this and you can claim for that,and basically advising all members to steer clear and dont call the O.I.L.C when it does go tits up.
i am impartial in this debate but thought i would add this as it was only the other week the pamphlet appeared.
i notice andy speacking of the guys at the heliport,the lads that went to the bonga job also got bit in the arse.the thing with the taxman is he pays out the claim and then he scrutinises it later with a very nasty demand
the O.I.L.C is an offshore union that started out in the late 1980s after piper alpha and has a big membership although the oil companys refuse to talk to them due to their hardline stance

[the oilc sat in have the sccr got the balls to call a halt to every site in britain.i would love it if they could;)b][/b]

i never implied the sccr was a union,it was your good friend aom.i only stated thet if they could bring the scaffs together they would bring every site in britain to a standstill.
i am a member but i dont think it will ever get to the stage when they will be in the position to do what they have the potential to do,due to the apathy and the i will take feck giving of the trade these days :sad:

Your right Dafty on all counts,Sccr has massive potential,but needs scaffs to wake up from their lethargy.

the oilc has never really been recognised as a union,it has only gained that status recently through amiglimation with the RMT,but they have achievied some great results as in holiday pay and holiday time through the courts as the shells and bp etc wont talk to them.
i personally am not a member and never have been,due to working on shore quite regularly but they do pack a punch and in jake malloy they have a true gent.
much like the sccr and rag tec;)

Sorry folks..I know wrong thread...dont know where else to continue this chat..

AS you know Dafty,the Sccr would like to achieve changes through consultation.This has more clout with numbers.Sccr is in its infancy,it has an agenda and issues to bring forward to the table.Hard work by the founder members has had a response. And albeit slowly,numbers are growing.What is the oilc if not a union and RMT?

Last edited:
If the pamphlet being referred to is the recent RMT one about claiming/not claiming tax back, I can tell you that we are in full agreement with them. We've read it and it is specifically in relation to sea-farers tax.

This is in no way related to what we do, what our clients have claimed for. Our clients claim for expenses incurred on products & services exclusively used as part of their job.

Not sure if we've spoken to anyone on here about it but if we have, they'll be well aware that we're clear about the rules regarding this.

Here are the rules for claiming sea-farers tax. If you don’t tick ALL of these boxes, you DO NOT qualify.

1. You must be located a minimum of 12 miles from the British coastline (i.e. on the Continental shelf)
2. You must be directly involved with a) the exploration or the transportation of a mineral or oil (basically, working directly with the drill head).
3. You must be offshore for a minimum of 183 days ‘consecutively’ (Unite are currently disputing this in European Court but as yet NO decision has been made.

We have 100's of offshore clients and not a single one qualifies.

Hope this helps, cheers.

Ricky

SCCR is not a union.

Hi Frederik, as I posted that I thought someone might mistakenly think that was what I meant. I was in fact referring to the fact that no one would talk to them as per Ragscaffs recent posts. I'm not involved now but I was one of the few that made the effort to the first meeting in Birmingham so I am aware of what the SCCR are trying to achieve.

Cheers Aom,I should have read the post you made prior to Dafty's. I must pay more attentionX100

having the SCCR as a union just for scaffs like unite would be great but unfortantly alot of scaffolders wouldnt join and would rather spend the money on beer, prostitutes, drugs, then trying to make our trade better then what it is.

Has things ever been any different...?
Thats why WE are behind other trades by about 20 years, with Union representation and stuff and it takes a few guys to put their own time and money to change it (The SCCR guys) - which they should not have to do... we all should have sorted this out ages ago, imo.

Anyway.
I phoned BetterTax yesterday and asked them a few minor questions, to which a guy called called Steve answered them all, as best as he could and gave me some great advice - BEFORE he even knew/asked if i was registered with them, which i am.

He helped me, without even knowing my name - which in this day and age is very rare.

Imo - BetterTax are spot on, very helpful and very fair and ill be conituing to use them as my Accountants. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom