Beams and Part 2's

Of course they should,if not how are they going to learn,keep an eye on them,and when you're happy let them get on with it,all my lads are let loose on beams long before they go on their advance,you know who's capable and who is'nt,beam's are an integral part of the job,and should be treated as such:cool:

hahahahah yalright steve!!! of course part 2s should put beam jobs in, you do it on your course...

Should part 2's be allowed to do beam work ?? do they even know what a beam is for ??[/i think yes mate anyone should be able to do anything as lomg as they have experience and know what there doin. iv met scaffolders who have gold cards and know f**k all. Its just a bit of paper which sites like to see it doesnt mean they know more than the next person. Met a few scaffs who has blagged there way out of a living, im sure everyone as seen them.

ya talking as if beams are rocket science im part 2 and could put alot ov advanced to shame , should part 2s be allowed on beams get real man its not about the ticket

ive got a 22yr old part 1 with me as my 2nd fix, this boy was born on a beam(i did teach him everythink he knows though!!!):D

unless they are wired to the moon ie drunk or on drugs ofcourse part 2s should be allowed to do beam work i would even say part 1s should have a go because everyone needs a chance to learn .

How do you know when a beam is upside down is the strength still the same with node points on it?

You know when the (pre-fab) beam is upside down when the fish-plates that you bolt together dont sit neatly together as one is on the left side and the other is on the right. If you have one upside down then they will both be on the same side. I dont think it matters if the bracing (node points?) on the beams meet but it looks neater imo.

I hope thats fairly understandable :)

Last edited:
Only on Unit Beams.

Ladder Beams cant really be 'upside down', unless your pissed up, lol.

Only on Unit Beams.

Ladder Beams cant really be 'upside down', unless your pissed up, lol.

Yea thats right, thats why i said pre fab beams. As far as i knew, thats another name for unit beams?

Yea thats right, thats why i said pre fab beams. As far as i knew, thats another name for unit beams?

Unit Beams?
I call them: "Big 'orrible poxxy heavy f.ucking things!" :D

not half!

btw, when i said pre fab, i meant prefabricated (just for the record) :)

Last edited:
I prefer big horrible poxy heavy things myself J.Then everyone knows what your talkin about,feckin hate em with a passion

Ya mate, lol.

In this day and age - with Health and Safety going bonkers how comes were still made to lug 50kg+ Beams about by hand??

Surely its time that Steel Beams were banned and Alloy ones were brought in with more effect?

i agree with mush, SOME & i Repeat SOME advanced ticket holders need to realise that becouse they have a gold card it dos'nt mean you stop learning the job. ive worked with some advanced stuck in the dark ages and have seen basic 2 scaffs piss all over them. Then Mr. Gold card gets pissy and and Shouts, (" I got the gold card ") Perhaps sometimes they should realise they are only there to sign a job off. I stress again some gold card holders.

you shouldnt be using beams if make statement like that of course a beam has right way and wrong way but if you think not think would be best to keep quiet as you dont really know what your talking about.

Never understood the mystery with certain types of our job , i get the young guns to start doing these things early , hangers , canterlevers etc etc as scaffolding is an experienced based job the more experience you get the better scaffolder you become. I have had my own son on temporary roofs and beamed bridges , although he hasn't done a hanger yet he is still only 19 and still only got a trainnie ticket he has worked on maybe 25 temporary roofs with me and countless beam work and really does understand how and why beams work , only one way to learn scaffolding and thats to get on with it.

yatesie;159805Perhaps sometimes they should realise they are only there to sign a job off. I stress again some gold card holders.[/QUOTE said:
Wish I was only there to sign the bloody job off

I asked him. He said:

My Hero... :eek:
:D

Anyway, when i was a Part 1, many moons ago i could read a Drawing and i could use Beams and knew how to use them and why they were used in certain situations.

How comes? - Because i made the EFFORT to watch older/more experienced Scaffolders and learned! Lol.

A Part 2 Scaffolder is legally allowed to work with Beams now, but lets be fair - If, even after a few years of you dont know how and why Beams are used and where to put them, your in the wrong game, as Beamwork really aint rocket science, lol.

Exactly mate. If you're lucky enough to work with a good chargehand OR experienced hand then for crying out loud try to do what they do! I've seen plenty of lads turned into ***** scaffolders because their chargehands didn't give a flying f#ck.

how dare this cala say that part two should fetch the sarnies,im a part two and have been for 12 years.have been in drax,tata works and numerous house bashing firms.and have made gold card holders look like amateurs.so f*ck you

Top Bottom