Who wants to keep the scaffstep?

The step aint practical.
Its flimsy and awkward to carry and on it you CANNOT fix returns... or erect splays properly.

Reason being is that the top section hooks on the top handrail (or any horizontal tube) and to bottom goes where? - On a standard. So that alone severely limits where and when your able to properly use it.

Its design as usual has been rushed and is untested.
Its f.ucking shiit and if it aint banned, then it needs alot of 'fine-tuning', before its ready for day in/day out usage.

The other type ive seen, but not used is the kind of small step-ladder thing.
This is even worse, as it relies on resting on your boarded lift and your top handrail.
Which means that if your top handrail is even a little bit over/under the 'recommended' minimum height - your f.ucked again and it dont sit right.

Either type ive seen are both shiit.
They are only good on the absolute perfect jobs where everything falls into place and everything worked exactly to SG:04 or whatever regulations.

VERY FEW JOBS IVE WORKED ON DO ACTUALLY WORK OUT LIKE THAT - something always goes wrong and needs to be changed/adapted.

In my opinion.

We have only ever used the Combisafe type with the 3 step ladder attached which has telescopic legs which I have never needed to adjust. I've never found it particularly difficult and at times it does need to be adapted but with a bit of thought and practise I was surprised how simple it has become to use.

I think the scaff step in principle has it's uses but it has limatations, once i got into the swing of it i found it quite easy to use on long runs and once you get yourself into a routine it's quite easy to use, but on the street it is of no use what so ever. ie old buildings with ins and outs and bay windows etc.

Also was on a building site and was told i had to use the step off the floor to put first lift handrail on , the ground was strewn with rubble etc so i said the ground workers would have to make the ground good and stable for the step to sit on he soon shut up.

With all things i think it has it's place but common sense must prevail. Also more time has to be allowed to use the step as it does take a bit longer espically not doing a straight run.

I would say that was fair enough Lambert, it is simpler on the straight runs but even on bay windows the outside elevation of the job is still straight so shouldn't really affect how you do it, or maybe it's just my jobs.:embarrest:

i meant hwere the bay window goes up the front of the building so you can only get a couple of boards in till you get above the bay window if that makes sense the step dont fit in and my boss would not like me making eight board wide scaffolds to get round a bay window just so i can use a step if you get what imean lol

Yeah, I do know exactly what you mean as we did a small tower on a bay window that was tough with the step but as you say as part of a long run you just use the step either side of the narrow bit. I think the last job we did like this is when we changed to sliding an advanced rail just above the permanent one.

Just out of interest just how many are issued with it?

started out 5 lorries 5 scaff steps now 5 lorries 0 scaff steps there all in the lock up lol

haha, they do say never ask a question unless you are prepared for the answer.

Ok, so what about working on a price?
The Step is slower then working by the usual methods, so do you increase your own prices, just because you use it and if so, do you accept that Scaffolders are going to erect/strike slower due to using it?

Ok, so what about working on a price?
The Step is slower then working by the usual methods, so do you increase your own prices, just because you use it and if so, do you accept that Scaffolders are going to erect/strike slower due to using it?

So the companies that don't use the step can come in a bit cheaper?

In all honesty Jason I don't think it is slower it's just in a different order. I have been dragged aside by numerous clever men and told to take a step back and look at what's going on like who is doing what exactly but I will never really be that type of gaffer. I would never ever be sure unless I stood with a stop watch but last week we stripped a fair bit of tube using the step and it came down just as quick as it ever did.

On price I use the pencil method.

Poke the site agent in the eye with it & get on with my job!!:eek::D

Ragscaff

Naw but do have a few steps and IW's.:D

We can have a show of hands all day long on some website , it's what you choose as A -the scaffolder B-the boss C-the client ??
There are a lot of spanners and levels being thrown out of the pram about this,out of the forty odd who are against how many of you use them 1)religiously 2) only when the gaffer/client are about 3) never ???

The step we use is the combisafe 3 rung one and I think it needs improving (which am working on )

It would be interesting to know how the steel erectors views when they were told cherry pickers is the future ??

As said many times before don't like don't use

RV

I have used them.
I think that 'in theory' they are OK, i suppose... but in reality they just dont work.

I prefer the old way.
Walking along a lift, putting my hemps on and putting the handrail in... just like im paid to do, lol.

Its VERY basic stuff and if you cant do that, without being a danger to yourself and others then you should not be doing Scaffolding as a job.

Im 110% a Scaffolders -Scaff, but thats what i think.

Top Bottom