Who wants to keep the scaffstep?

Cala, I have a theory which going by my track record is usually wrong but I feel aversion to the step is age related. The longer you are used to doing things a certain way the harder it is to accept change but like Agnews, there is always change if you work at heights.:smile1:

SG4:05 Paddy! :eek:

For Clarification, it was there then, before SG4:10 reared it's ugly head. Really i am talking a load of sh1t i fecked up, good on youTomp you cant, now p1ss off mate.;)

Rigger you should be QC officer at NASC mate, however, that will not happen, as you speak to much,sense and can intrigate with all.

Regards
Paddy

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Alistair.

The step is a c+nt i did a 120' x 40' x120' x40 with 2 loading bays and 2 x skip towers and 4 internal 28' scaffolds, using the step to affix the AGR.my Knees were fecked for 3 days afterwards, and i am only 51.:eek:

Paddy

"as you speak to much,sense and can intrigate with all."

cheers Paddy it is a compliment, :unsure: is it not

Swifty, I think in answer to your question.........1, me.:toung:

aom "What would you use Rigger?" why can't I be excused like Paddy :(

If I were in your shoes I would by law have to ensure the Health Safety and welfare of my employees so far as is reasonably practicable while at work.

That is the law.

I would be obliged to use all the safety kit available,and safe systems of work to this end, follow all guidelines and SSW. We are where we are with an over the top H&S cuture within the Construction Industry.

Legislation is being forced upon us by accademics, I have read reports and papers by these people that refer to scaffold tube as scaffold poles So what chance the guy at the coal face of being consulted

You can't be excused as you are not half blinded with mullewgram.:D

So in short would you insist on any man working under you use the step?

Also, consultation is fine well and good but progress would be slow and where would it stop, sometimes decisions have to be made in all walks of life.

good point regarding the harness aom,it is now second nature to scaffolders to wear 1 although they might not hook on all the time.
regarding consultation would you think that 21s would have been on the go since the inception of steel scaffolding if we were consulted i dont think so if the step saves 1 life it will be worth it no matter how much of a pain in the ar$e it is

And despite much gnashing of teeth and stamping of feet the step or something very similar will become second nature also.

aom
"So in short would you insist on any man working under you use the step?"

YES if it was company policy to use this method of avoiding a known Hazard

I have given warnings to guys setting out, for not wearing harnesses, As it was company policy that scaffs wore harness all the time they were on site.

My wages and the scaffs were paid by the employer and as such we were all reponsible to work to the company H&S policy and guidelines (stupid as they were) or find another employer

Used one before never again!!

Knees won't last much longer, hemping over the handrail puts unesesary strain on the body. Also the thought of hooking on whilst stood on the thing:eek::nuts: Slip & lose your teeth.

Mad, mad idea.

30 years doing this trade & its getting worse.

Never felt more unsafe.

Happy to work off the boarded platform & progress my handrail as in SG4 05.

Never understood why it was changed!!

Legislation also indicates all lifts boarded double handrail & toe board that will never happen!!

When needs must, get the training right & let us do our job:(

Ragscaff

Legislation also indicates all lifts boarded double handrail & toe board that will never happen!!

Ragscaff, you were at the same meeting as I was when the hse said that this would never come to the fore or is my memory not what it was?

Rigger, are you sure your not a politician?:bigsmile:

What if you were responsible for writing company policy? Sorry for haranguing you.

Thats my point. Why enforce one section not the other.

No evidence of anyone falling off tunnelling so why change that?

Its safe working to SG4 05 why change it?

Ragscaff

aom "What if you were responsible for writing company policy? Sorry for haranguing you."

I must refer my honourable friend to my recent post

"I would by law have to ensure the Health Safety and welfare of my employees so far as is reasonably practicable while at work."

It doesn't matter how successful 05 was it doesn't comply with the regs. I know you know that but that's it in a nut shell it must be impossible or as near to it to comply. The 05 regs were never truly accepted by the hse but a concession until agr systems could be developed. I truly don't know what if anything we are doing different from others but knee problems are the least of my worries.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

aom "What if you were responsible for writing company policy? Sorry for haranguing you."

I must refer my honourable friend to my recent post

"I would by law have to ensure the Health Safety and welfare of my employees so far as is reasonably practicable while at work."

Like your style Rigger, I feel a seat in the house of lords is awaiting you should you ever decide to retire.:toung:

i dont see the big problem myself throw the 21 over the handrail,then straighten it up and in to the sleeve she goes.you dont need to stand it up and then hemp over the handrail.
sorry lads but you cant stand in the way of progress,its here now and inbedded in the safety culture like ot or lump it

steps the quickest way to build beats the one meter lift method hands down but when youve got forty hemps to do over the rail it can have its disadvantages using 21s,been using them with cape a lot recently boys prefer the step.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

but am still not a fan of it.

I cant see what the problem was, with traversing 6m/length of a 21ft tube, without handrail?

Its not even 2 fleets of boards.
Who, i mean who has ever fell or would fall, whilst doing this?

I mean, lets be fair. We all know what this job is... Its hard and dangerous.
Its part of the reason why alot of us do it. For the thrill of doing what others aint got the balls to do.

Can these HSE guys just not let us do our jobs?
That we are all trained and experienced and capable to do?

Ragscaff: "Knees won't last much longer" that's not down to the step that's "30 years doing this trade" ?yes??

Could you explain more on " Never felt more unsafe." as it is only a step up to put a guardrail in so how are you down a hanger ?? Fine I presume as 30yrs counts for a lot so why uneasy on a step ?

As you all know I like the step , if I didn't I would leave my current employer and start slashing it up with gay abandon in shorts and trainers .
WHY ??because we all have a choice don't we ?
It is not law , it's down to your employer and their clients so jack in and be taxi driver or be one of them fellas in the cafe that's says "I've done a bit of scaffolding " or stacking shelves in ASDA....oh hang on forget the last one you'll need the traverse method to put the bog rolls on the top shelf as opposed to the step !!!!

RV

Top Bottom