Who invented the scaff step

It's in all our's, and if memory serves it's in the guidance. It was certainly discussed at all the seminars. You cant use the b-safe contraption when saddling a chimney or use the step from a roof either. As long as your RAMS are robust enough and you have done it enough times to give you the experience to explain to any potential knockers why you still need a harness I don't see the problem. Being a NASC member company doesn't really come in to it, I just want to be doing all I can to do it right, admittedly not always successful but a strong attempt is always made. Probably not good enough for some but everybody has to start somewhere.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Sorry mate jumped the gun, just read your answers to the step-up questionaire, my apologies.:embarrest:

No problem Paddy, I try and be honest but am very aware you can either come across as a total tos ser from perfect scaffolding ltd or a cowboy who does what he likes, I think we are somewhere in the middle trying to be better.

It's good to see some common sense aom, my experience of Swansea based NASC companies is step and step only, regardless of how unsuitable it may be for the job you're doing.
Asking them to amend the RAMS is like asking them to cut their arm off with a blunt knife.

It's like I said earlier, we are policed by people who have no real experience and demand everything to cover their own erse. I just read the guidance and developed a good working practise around it. I haven't got the guidance to hand but does it not say whereby all other means have been exhausted, a harness may still be used. I feel anybody expecting everything to be done from the step is unrealistic at best.

I hope I'm not being read the wrong way.

I have recently been working in Birmingham for a London based NASC member, 20 floor tower block everything was 100% spot on, the HSE could have watched us all day and not found one thing to complain about purely down to good management and planning.

Why can't they all be like that, is it because they feel they can monopolise certain areas and feel untouchable? or is it the wrong people in charge?

I don't think I'm reading you the wrong way Swifty, it's just my belief that most of the problems are caused by ill informed clients more than scaffold managers. Most scaffold managers come through the ranks in my experience and know the pit falls quite well but I have met plenty managers who got a "My first Big Site" for Christmas and are still enjoy playing with it. There are also a growing number of remembrance threads on here for scaffs and whilst I don't want to sully any memory I would suggest there would be less if more used the step. Just a humble opinion, if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

the harness that has saved lifes!!! i wore one a few years a go on a street job and to be honnest i got a bit of stick you dont need one on here mate bla bla bla but i felt comfortable being 70 foot up in the air. blood and eyeballs dont look good if you fall off. most indusrial jobs you go on the harness has to be put on when you leave the cabin to work. as for the step its not that imposed yet!!!!

Hi just a quick line about the step.I work for a Croydon based NASC form .We have been using the scaff step for 18 months and are now gazing it out because of its limitations and the fact it does not stop you falling back or sideways.we are testing a new version of advanced.ce guard

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Iam on the road every day in London and have yet to see ANYONE using one.

In fact the only scaff steps i have seen where in Scaffys office

the dreaded step has finally reached cape been using them since last week instead of advance rail im well used to it but most other guys just look at them like a piece of sh1t lol,i asked what was wrong using the advance rail didnt get a printable answer lol.

A few years back,there was a tool called a cripple,painters and plasterers use to use them. A very similar design to the scaffstep. You would lean ladders against a wall,same angle,10-12 ft apart and hook the cripples onto the ladder rungs. Double up the scaffold boards and you had a tempory platform,no handrails. Paint or plaster section of wall then move ladders along. (Wished I had a picture to post.) These got banned.
So now they been reincarnated as scaffsteps.
So what was the testing criteria to sanction this tool? Were these tried tested and endorsed by scaffs? ...... If so, where and when?
Were results published?....On scaffolding courses,are the tutors showing trainee's how to use these,Hemp with them,etc. So many questions!! A 3 board temp would serve better,surely!?!?

The inventor will probably never reveal himself as I would love to wrap a scaff step around his ******* head.

I too suspect there is a convienent business deal to explain the scaff steps sudden rise...

I saw one get wrecked the other day as it fell to its doom. It brought me much joy and when no-one was looking, I danced.

Sorry its late and I'm in a funny mood, better get my head down before I make a prat of myself.

Phillios - exactly that mate and they have never ledt the yard as noo ****** wants to use them !!!

The croydon based nasc member is that the one based in whyteleaf or beddington

Interserve have patent pending.If you know about patent pending,its a priority date for for new inventions. Once you have patent pending,you start manufacture of invention while prossessing full patent. If patent application is only logged in Britain,some bright sparks could in theory start making in other countries. As its a tool for working at height,it should carry a kite mark of some sort,at least to British standards. Does it????I dont know,never seen one. I have seen it on interserve website,but info is sketchy!!!

Never really looked to be honest Fredrick, I will check tomorrow though.

Top Bottom