Who invented the scaff step

Paul you know i value your opinion mate, however, pal, do you really use the scaffstep to instal your handrails on the 1st lift.

Paddy

I get what you mean paddy but the work I do at the company I am at the majority of jobs have a kicker in them so yes if not we use the wrappa sling , blue bag and we have the haki wands for the staircases .

Scaff steps were made for to be used with 2m lifts, so there was always a handrail at 1m height as you were installing Ledgers and Guardrails.

The Scaffstep was not designed for Brickie lifts on 'Newbuild' as typical lifts are 1.5m and top lift 1m. On a 1 m lift not a problem, reach up and instal AGR. However, 1.5 lifts if using the scaffstep are dangerous,as the ledger is 500mm below height to act as handrail.

Enter SG4:10 for newbuild bricklaying scaffolds, the scaffstep is not suitable, however, a 500mm platform can overcome this problem:eek::eek:This is not a quote mind.....So another bit of kit to lug about.

Why not ask Simian if he knows anything about scaffstep?

Used it for 1st time this week,not much choice,its just a pain in the backside.Be interesting to know whos getting the money for it.All I can find out is its a combisafe invention.

RV you seem to be one of a very select few.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

The SCCR are putting a report together on the use of scaff steps and we need your input.

1. Does your employer or their customers insist on the scaff step being the only method used on their sites?

No, but they do like the step and enjoy taking lot's of pictures while we work.(I hope they are not pervs)
2. What other methods of advanced guard rails do you or your company use and what is your opinion on them?

Slide it, but mostly step.
3. If you use a scaff step what type is it, does it sit on the guard rail or on the standard, does it have a ladder to the platform or not?

Combisafe step which clips on the guard rail with the ladder attached.

4. If you use a scaff step do you feel safe using it, do you hemp while standing on the step?

I feel perfectly safe. It seems age has a direct link to attitude to this step. The older you seem to be the more effort you have to put in to change your working practise but the young team took to it like duck's to water and are now quicker than us oldies at erecting simple jobs. In the main we don't hemp off the step but it does come in handy sometimes if using system and you come across the odd 3 lug topper. Never come across the need to hemp from the step when using tube.
5. Do you think that the scaff step causes extra strain and fatigue to the body?

In a word no. We have to be physically and mentally fit to do the job anyway.
6. Are you happy with hemping over the guard rail, do you consider this dangerous.

This always concerned me. Unfortunately still does. Most can do it but it is certainly more of a struggle than before, the young team will have to settle with doing it with 16's.
7. Do you use the scaff step on base lifts, if so how do you manage with uneven ground conditions?

Foot tie on the first 21, board out and hand rail. Slide the remaining lengths.

8. How are the scaff steps transported from site to site?

Same as everything else, truck's or van.
9. Do you consider them dangerous in wet or muddy conditions?

Haven't felt them slide in the wet, mud is a concern for any scaffolder regardless of how you work. Common sense tells you to keep your equipment clean.
10. Have you or have you witnessed an accident or near miss due to the use of the scaff step or hemping over the guard rail?

No. A couple of deep red faces though.
11. Do you feel that your job is at risk if you complain about using something you consider unsafe or puts extra strain on your body?

As a working employer I would listen to any concerns. We phased this in over time, firstly the big straight runs then it just became a natural evolution. I'm not saying we have reached perfection, I still have to check now and again it is in use.

12. Do you think the SG4:05 traversing rule was adequate?

I do but after attending a few different seminars on the subject accept and understand the pressure exerted by the hse to come up with something to comply with the work at height regs.

All answers by P.M. or on this thread would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Swifty

I hope I have answered all frankly and honestly.

PM sent , my own opinion with the like/dislike of the steps is that of when you go on your Hols : You have a great time ,top booze , missis got a tan , kids loved the pool etc.....You come home tell yer mates and family end of

You have a bad time , you come home and moan and complain to abta atol the company you booked with and you jump on the Internet and type all through the night on trip advisor !!

I know loads of lads who have not got an issue with the step and they like it it's just they don't all feel Compelled to jump on here singing its praises as do the ones who don't like it (which they are entitled to do)

To return to a question I asked ....Has anybody opened their wallet for
Fast Guard Benefits - fast guard benefits for scaffolders, scaffolding collective fall prevention, scaffolding collective fall protection, advanced guard rails, advanced fall protection, advanced fall prevention, scaffolding safety systems, scaffoldi ?????

its a bit like the tv advert revels the coffee one you either love it or hate it think most would go with the chinese gezzer. i cant comment as i havent used it but 90% hate it unless your a shareholder then its the bolloc!!!!!!

Thank you RedViking for your PM.

From the many replies sent to me from this forum, the SCCR website and Scaffmag it is a very small percentage of the people that actually use the step that do not consider it to be dangerous.

Around 75% of replies from people that use the step claim to have seen near misses or injuries caused by hemping either off the step or over the handrail.

Is the step doing the job it was meant to? Is it making a safer working environment?

Apparently not.

Last edited:
Sorry RV, never used it or likely to spend the cash on it, I could see that lying at the back of the yard.

Sorry RV, never used it or likely to spend the cash on it, I could see that lying at the back of the yard.

With all due respect Alistair, what do you do to comply with SG4:10 then, and the Scaffolders safe zone.

I am not being pedantic or critical, just being nosey, moreso with you being a NASC member.

Just a mixture of the step, slide an advanced rail and harness. You don't really need any new fancy equipment to comply.

Just a mixture of the step, slide an advanced rail and harness. You don't really need any new fancy equipment to comply.

Just the foresight and balls to put it into your method statement.

Top Bottom