Which Association should I trust and follow?

He's the first owner of a scaffolding company and other businesses I've ever come across that wants more unions and union membership.:amazed::amazed:

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Good on you Rachet, a Scaffolder's Union get it going mate.

Not such a bad idea, especially if the collective voices actually have "something" to say. The only voice in the industry is The NASC like it or not. The rest seem happy to have a couple of annual meetings, moan & groan about everything, then simply do nothing constructive at all. I think its called paying Lip-Service? It's great having a badge, followers/members & splendid association acronym, but when are they going to actually "do" something within the industry?

What changes would you like to see Wummer?

What changes would you like to see Wummer?

1. Input from scaffolders & installation companies into CISRS training course content & accreditation processes.

2. Lobbying to change WAHR's to make provision of design criteria & accurate Clients Brief specifications a mandatory responsibility of clients/main contractors.

Will do for a start.

ha ha, thought you may have opened up a wee rant.

Are these things not already on the books through CDM just rarely followed? I am especially thinking of the accurate client brief.

ha ha, thought you may have opened up a wee rant.

Are these things not already on the books through CDM just rarely followed? I am especially thinking of the accurate client brief.

Spot on within CDM Regs. AOM......and a very good specification is available within TG20 too. As you say, very rarely followed.;)

Maybe the revision will have more of an effect.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Here is another way of looking at it, what about supporting the existing available associations and instead of on-line discussions trying to be as proactive as possible to ensure compliance?

Tough when you see some of the jobs and work methods most are pricing against but if even half the hot air was turned into action we would be almost home and hosed.

I personally do not think so. There are plenty of NASC members that currently do not fully embrace the content of TG:20, much less the so called "unregulated" (NASC's description) contractors. It could be argued that the updates are not much more than a fantastic marketing opportunity for CADS. Providing a few more designs & calculations for some structures, that currently fall outside the remit of what are currently considered Basic configurations, (accompanied by a DVD) maybe an advancement. Although the percentage of non-regulated contractors & clients referencing TG20 within their procurement & tendering processes is too small to have an overall improving effect.

The standards & requirements of the scaffolding & access industry are client driven. Maybe CADS are hoping more clients will buy their software packages? That would improve client understanding of client brief & design content? An interesting perspective.

Why don't you join the SCCR Wummer?
Any organisation is only as good as it's members and the level of commitment they're prepared to put in.
You want to change things for the better so come aboard.

I must admit, educating clients does become tiresome after a while. Not sure you can blame anyone but them for that though. They bring in scaffolders as we are supposed to be the experts but they really should have even a basic understanding of what's required and why.

Cads involvement is probably just another statement of the world we live in, and pretty much why I invested in their system. I know you never took to it but unless certain clients can see the pretty picture they have no idea of the job they require.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Any organisation is only as good as it's members and the level of commitment they're prepared to put in.

My point entirely Swifty. The SCCR is a different animal and membership of one does not preclude the other. The main problem for me is I could in no way match the commitment of the current committee.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Here is another way of looking at it, what about supporting the existing available associations and instead of on-line discussions trying to be as proactive as possible to ensure compliance?

Tough when you see some of the jobs and work methods most are pricing against but if even half the hot air was turned into action we would be almost home and hosed.

I agree & there lies both the simplicity & complexity of this quandary. All Association's management need to have both the ears of the legislative decision makers & of course, a respected industry standing to achieve the former.

The NASC are so successful & established within these facets of legislative influence, they are beyond reproach & challenge. A highly professional approach is necessary to set up a credible alternative Association. Most industry movers & shakers have already thrown their allegiances behind The NASC. A leader is required to gather the masses together in a true William Wallace manner.....:D

haha, nice one. I agree with that but reminds me of Scottish football, SPL, SFL and SFA which means too many chiefs and not enough Indians which is why I reckon supporting existing is the way forward.

To the original poster, I would say if you are unsure which, I wouldn't go with any until you have the full picture which is harder than you might think.

I agree & there lies both the simplicity & complexity of this quandary. All Association's management need to have both the ears of the legislative decision makers & of course, a respected industry standing to achieve the former.

The NASC are so successful & established within these facets of legislative influence, they are beyond reproach & challenge. A highly professional approach is necessary to set up a credible alternative Association. Most industry movers & shakers have already thrown their allegiances behind The NASC. A leader is required to gather the masses together in a true William Wallace manner.....:D

The NASC have proved themselves on many occasions not to be beyond reproach or challenge.
The difficult bit is to get them to keep to pre-arranged meetings
They probably feel as the SCCR and most of it's members are not in their club there is no need to get around the table and discuss some of the implications of their guidance, press releases and propaganda.
The HSE have even told them they need to talk to us but they consider themselves far too important.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Well Wummer?

Can't change anything hiding behind a pseudonym.

haha, why not not, everyone else is?:amuse:

Now you see what iam talking about Ratchet " Ignorance is bliss " best to leave these associations as they are and buy kit with your money ,
employ good lads ,pay them well and do what i do and enjoy your life , because lifes to short to worry about meaningless crap ;)

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

A tune for the NASC

Carly Simon - You're So Vain (with lyrics) - YouTube

You walked into the party , like you were walking onto a yacht , one eye in the mirror , as you watched yourself go by , and all the scaffs , dreamed they'd be your partner , they'd be your partner ......youre so vain , your probabaly called the NASC , youre so vain ,,,,,,you probabaly think this song is about you,,,,,,youre so vvaaiiinnn , :D

it seems their problem is ignorance of other associations who would like to be involved in the industry , if they are ignoring the SCCR.

great post Phillios , great tune

will an association made up of the working class ever gatecrash these institutions full of people who think your not clever enough to have any input ?

Last edited:
I thought that the main thing in all this was that nasc had been adopted by the hse as a way to stay within regs etc. I know that if you can prove you are working to an equal or higher standard your ok. Then it's just he principal contractors you have to deal with who say they want nasc members only.

Sorry Bri, I'm playing catch up with this thread but this is bang on.

Top Bottom