Which Association should I trust and follow?

So are you saying all of them are just out to rob you blind Wummer? I was going to say something really awful then but ill check wi my pr lady 1st.

Oh yes, the PR lady :D anything to prevent questions being answered, or truth being told Ratchet! You are not from Brum by the way??........and yes, they all promise the world, deliver little & you pay for the privilege!! Anyone fancy an AGM in Barcelona!?;)......or the Cotswolds.

Last edited:
Daniel Craig the actor lived there but moved away when he was 4.

Just heard from a showbiz insider that Bob Carolgees (not his real name) and Cilla Black (not her real name) were in Barbados to film a one off special of the hit television series Surprise Surprise. Apparently the set up was that a well known London scaffolding manager would think he had gone to Barbados for a quiet Xmas family holiday. Bob and Cilla would then bump into him in a bar and Bob would ask him to play a round of golf. The surprise would be that on the 18th green SF Admin, Roger Nutkins and Themaster would jump out and award him a coveted moderators badge. Hope I havent spoilt it for millions of viewers?
That's not gonna happen , I heard bob and cilla had combined forces and started a show called "spit on a blind date". The pilot was a flem-fest but the Barbados sun dried out the contestants nicely

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

But I was hoping for an AGM in Algeria :(
That's not gonna happen either

Ever the optimist eh Russ!
The last time the words "Algeria" and "scaffolding" were uttered in the same sentance all hell broke loose.

On a brighter note though, if there is to be and AGM in Algeria there are some hardly used visas ( seven to be precise) going begging, oh and some factor 30 sun tan lotion (un opened)

So if there are all these associations what has each association actually achieved?
I've seen the NASC mentioned
I've seen the LASC mentioned
I can see the SCCR mentioned on here.
Another in the north west
I have also heard of the scaffold association as well, hang on here I'm getting very confused. So who does what and what has each done in return?

When I did my courses I was always told the NASC. Lets look at each association and break it down in sections then things may become clearer.
1) how many members( do each association release this figure if not why?)
2) what is the AIMS of each association?
3) what do the paying members get in return for there membership?( what's in it for me culture)
4) benefits?
5) technical information?
6) health and safety advice?
7) training?
8) disputes or concerns and do they get dealt with correctly?
9) continued personal development
10) 24hr advice?
11) why not just carry CHAS as a minimum?

We may be able to compile who is the best association after answering the 11 points above.
This is not a slagging match at anybody by any means, neither is it me being militant, but with so many associations it is very confusing so any good association will have a full structure in place and the weaker 1's won't. It's 2013 FFS and it time to out the s*it and up the anti on the good companies! If it means we end with 1 overall then so be it.

Moderator swifty has the Sccr all over his profile. Are u a commitee member? If so what have you actually achieved in that time? It cannot be much because he is always on here moaning about 1 thing or another!

None of them

Unfortunately The Scaffolding Association did not get off the ground. The so called founding member realised that his "Emperors New Clothes" venture, wouldn't make him rich after all. Therefore he decided not to go ahead with it......he managed to enhance his personal profile though, resulting in his H&S consultancy company being nice & busy now, thank you very much!!:eek::D

A total waste of many people's time & all pie in the sky I am afraid gents!

That has got to be some sort of poetic justice surely? Threatening to start another confederation as you suspect the current bunch are feathering their own nests only to crumple like a cheap suit as soon as your own nest has been sufficiently feathered. Oh the irony.

That has got to be some sort of poetic justice surely? Threatening to start another confederation as you suspect the current bunch are feathering their own nests only to crumple like a cheap suit as soon as your own nest has been sufficiently feathered. Oh the irony.

I couldn't agree more Imk. It raised a load of people's suspicions as the founder wasn't anything to do with the scaffolding industry. Why would a high voltage electrical worker want to ahem,.....raise the standards of the scaffolding industry?:confused: The gadgy involved is Robert Candy of Cotswold Safety Solutions (?) & hasn't ever made a statement about the SA publicly.

I thought there were quite a few followers of this new association or what ever you want to call it and the fact that someone spent some time outside this or any other industry should not preclude them from progressing in their chosen career. In other words, who cares what they did before they obviously have the ear of the real movers and shakers of this business as sg4 seems to be catching on.

sg4's " Technical Author" was simon hughes , who is the MD of Simian Risk Managenment , a company only started in 2005 and doing very well it seems , they provide scaff training and have recently won a contract in Iraq , sadly it seems they'll be training people over there to do the scaff work.

Now you see what iam talking about Ratchet " Ignorance is bliss " best to leave these associations as they are and buy kit with your money ,
employ good lads ,pay them well and do what i do and enjoy your life , because lifes to short to worry about meaningless crap ;)

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

A tune for the NASC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6UAYGxiRwU]Carly Simon - You're So Vain (with lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

sg4's " Technical Author" was simon hughes , who is the MD of Simian Risk Managenment , a company only started in 2005 and doing very well it seems , they provide scaff training and have recently won a contract in Iraq , sadly it seems they'll be training people over there to do the scaff work.

I know simon,and he's been in our game a lot longer than 2005 when simian risk was set up,he's one of the good guy's and definately on our side,a very clever guy,though i have not spoken to him for a while now as he's alway's in iraq lol,he also does a lot of good stuff for charity involving bike rides,we have caravans down on the welsh coast which is a 70 mile drive each way,he does it on a pushbike in training for these sponsored rides,so for a bloke as busy as he to find the time to do such stuff i take my hat off,deffo a good un:cool:

So overall all these associations are not worth a **** then is that correct. They are there just to take your money for nothing in return. Is that correct. Well if that is the case why does everybody advertise the sccr on here because as you've all said its all bollox. Your either 1 side of the fence or the other side, or your all 2 faced b******s.

So am I correct if we said we required our own working at heights union instead then?

I thought that the main thing in all this was that nasc had been adopted by the hse as a way to stay within regs etc. I know that if you can prove you are working to an equal or higher standard your ok. Then it's just he principal contractors you have to deal with who say they want nasc members only.

I thought there were quite a few followers of this new association or what ever you want to call it and the fact that someone spent some time outside this or any other industry should not preclude them from progressing in their chosen career. In other words, who cares what they did before they obviously have the ear of the real movers and shakers of this business as sg4 seems to be catching on.

Followers? What are they following? A name registered at Companies House? The point was missed about coming from outside the industry. Obviously Mr Candy could not convince key industry personnel to join his venture. As for SG4, yes indeed! One only has to take a drive through most cities in the country to realise that it is far from a being a fashionably adopted process.

Strange thread this one, there seems to be four different conversations going on.

Rachet are you Steve Gregory or do you just happen to be close neighbours?

So overall all these associations are not worth a **** then is that correct. They are there just to take your money for nothing in return. Is that correct. Well if that is the case why does everybody advertise the sccr on here because as you've all said its all bollox. Your either 1 side of the fence or the other side, or your all 2 faced b******s.

So am I correct if we said we required our own working at heights union instead then?

Because the SCCR is not like the other organisations. It is run by scaffolders, with the intention of giving the men and the smaller companies a voice in the industry. I've tried making it clear to you but I'm starting to feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall here? :suspicious:

He's the first owner of a scaffolding company and other businesses I've ever come across that wants more unions and union membership.:amazed::amazed:

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Good on you Rachet, a Scaffolder's Union get it going mate.

Top Bottom