Where has the Quality Scaffs thread gone?

Strange one to say the least. Do you reckon the warlords are surfing the forum looking for newbies in the area?:laugh:

FFS.:laugh:

Strange one to say the least. Do you reckon the warlords are surfing the forum looking for newbies in the area?:laugh:

FFS.:laugh:

Come on..........which one of yous is in the taliban,spying on our threads...........i reckon any scaffs turning up on site in a dish dash must be dodgy,haha:laugh:

Lets be honest lads. If any confidential information which could jeopardise the safety and security of men travelling to Algeria was released in a comment (by one of the people going incidentally)on the thread then that comment should be removed not the entire thread.
However if Al Quaida or The Salafist Group for Combat and Call are regularly monitoring the forum looking for potential kidnap for ransom targets they would already have seen the details.
Hundreds if not thousands of westerners travel to Algeria for business purposes every week. As I understand from Jason Gibbs post he has not actually got a visa yet so he would be extremely low on the list of possible kidnap targets. Cape East have people already in the area and many other western owned companies with much higher international profiles than an insulation and scaffolding contractor have loads more people there. Even the original poster said he has not come across any danger or threat.
As has been suggested the thread was full of silly spam comments and "Numpties" applying for a job that had already gone. Well if that is a good reason for the thread being removed then the admin and moderators will be busy removing 90% of threads on the forum.
In fact I request they remove any thread that contains racist, sexist, political, slanderous and libellous comments. There will be nothing left on this forum.
My first thought when I saw the original thread had been removed was that pressure had been brought to bear by Cape due to a comment that they have a reputation for making final payments difficult to receive, or that they had put pressure on a forum sponsor and this would affect the profitability of the forum.Now we know the request was from a forum member maybe who has influence with the admin or moderators.Maybe there are thought police and censors involved throughout the forum but they only censor what they do not like. 1984 and all that!
This is not only about the Algeria thread this is about every single thread on the forum.If it can be removed at one persons request without canvassing opinion from other members then our basic freedom of speech has been taken away.All the guys on here who bang on about brotherhood, unions etc, well have you ever taken industrial action on the order of one person without taking a vote? No I didnt think so.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

As a footnote to the above the address of Cape East offices in Oran, Algeria as well as details of the Operations Director, Finance Director and a lot of senior management are on the internet for all to see. Maybe someone should advise them of the threat to the scaffolders and possible kidnap???

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

Information received via P M,s and on open Forum regarding the Post " Quality Scaffs Required " where concerns for the welfare of the Crew were expressed and a real threat of Kidnapping was eluded too.

Therefore, In the interest of a low profile entry to the Region the ongoing high exposure Post merely heralded the the arrival of fresh meat, it could not have attracted more attention if we arrived with a Mass Pipe Band at our arrival on the tarmac...

Some may think that this is a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted, however, better late than never...

Free speak still applies to this Forum, therefore, anyone wishing pick up the Post "Quality Scaffs Required" is free to do so...

Garry...

Garry, I think a Mass Pipe Band welcoming you on the tramac may be too much for CAPE. From my experience you will be lucky to be met at the airport and will spend the first few hours making phone calls and getting taxis!! After all CAPE is an acronym for "CANT ARRANGE PEOPLES EMPLOYMENT";)

The thread was shiit... what good was it???
Going round in circles, for about 3 weeks.

HSWT: "That job still going?"
Jay: "No, its TAKEN!"
Random idiot: "I wanna go, heres my email."
Jay: "Its not available anymore..."
HSWT: "The Algeria job still going?"
Jay: "Its NOT available."
Random idiot: "Hey, i really wanna work with you guys, ill send you a PM."
Jay: "THE JOB IS GONE!!"

Yawn... after 3 weeks or more it was getting boring and pointless.
It was nothing more then a spam thread.

The thread was shiit... what good was it???
Going round in circles, for about 3 weeks.

HSWT: "That job still going?"
Jay: "No, its TAKEN!"
Random idiot: "I wanna go, heres my email."
Jay: "Its not available anymore..."
HSWT: "The Algeria job still going?"
Jay: "Its NOT available."
Random idiot: "Hey, i really wanna work with you guys, ill send you a PM."
Jay: "THE JOB IS GONE!!"

Yawn... after 3 weeks or more it was getting boring and pointless.
It was nothing more then a spam thread.

That is not the point Jason. And if as you say the thread was boring and pointless why were you one of the major contributors?
The point is a thread should not be removed on the whim of one member. An offensive or derogatory post should be removed if there is a chance it could lead to legal repercussions for the forum owner or the poster. And this only after the poster has been contacted and the fact pointed out to him.
As paddy says the member who wanted it removed alluded that it may affect the safety and security of those going NOT that it was getting silly and pointless.
If you take a look at the Bill Leane thread there are comments on it saying that he and another are "thieving ****". Why has that thread not been removed?
Was it you who requested one of the moderators to remove the Algeria thread Essex perhaps? As I pointed out before the forum is full of boring and pointless threads but they are not removed even when they lay dormant for years.
This is to do with freedom of information and speech and that the forum cannot be run and dictated by a select few who have friends and relatives as moderators or admin NOT about going to ALGERIA.

Not so long ago I worked in a country where the government wanted to ban the use of Blackberrys. This was because they had no control over the server and could not control or eavesdrop on communications over the Blackberry network.
Is this the future of the Scaffolders Forum. A forum where a select few control what the masses can say or read?
Maybe the forum owner can explain his view on this matter?

the UAE do not want any smart phones due to the location of the person being able to be tracked and if you work in the oil & Gas you phone and laptop can not have a camerea on it

Isnt the camera on a phone because its not intrinsically safe. Thats the story put about elsewhere.
Anyway dont get away from the point of freedom of information and speech being taken away by a select few. Who appointed them? Was a secret ballot conducted on the forum? I hope so as in Australia a safety rep MUST be elected in a secret ballot by the workers so certainly someone who has the power to control what we read and say should be.
All the guys on here who bang on about brotherhood, unions etc, well have you ever taken industrial action on the order of one person without taking a vote? No I didnt think so.

They come and go Hswt. Theres been some good threads that deserve to run but threads come thick and fast. There has been some real libelous comments made by some members. Its a balancing act for SF to say the least. Never really got involved in the Quality scaffs thread as it was for quality scaffs.LOL:D

I understand your point,its not the first time,wont be the last. I quite like major enquiry threads like this one. Spices things up a bit. Have you tried to pm SF?

I can understand the reasons given for removing the thread but in all honesty I think it may have gone a bit far in actually removing it.

The security of the lads going to this job is very important but I would find it hard to believe that the Taliban are snooping here in the forum for future victims.

Apparently the reason for removing it was that one member was complaining about being pestered by other members wanting to know more about the job etc.
I constantly receive messages from members seeking advice about working overseas, messages from those going abroad who are seeking contacts etc. I endeavour to give the best advice and help whenever I can.
I thought that was what this forum was all about not a forum to pander to individuals own egos and sensitivity?

Top Bottom