What Impact Wrench do you Use?

lads iv said iv got the hilti and i love IT and the cost of paying the 3rd yr doesnt bother as like iv also said just give all invioces to the fukking tax man it cost nothing to hire or buy 1 of these cuz the tax man pays for it and BY HIRING MINE JUST MEANS I CAN USE AND ABUSE IT oh and iv been getting my sockets from B&Q

I think both sides of the hilti buy or rent argument have pluses and minuses, it's just what ever works best for yourself.... I'm quite clumsy so would prob of been better hiring but I'm trying to get supervisor job so didn't want to be walking about site with a drill on hire hung up in the garage...
Bottom line is that these drills are the future and make the job a lot easier, I can't imagine scaffolding without one.
Only thing that might cause the impact wrench problems in the future is the HSE or nasc or that cu.nt of a site manager who's just done his smsts and thinks he knows it all.

That is very true Yobo.

Why didn't you just buy the long sockets from hilti at the same time as your gun? It's one off the few benefits to having the hilti over the makita, the hilti has a far superior fitting system with the roller balls on the drive where the makita has a pin and rubber ring which when we finally bought the correct makita socket it was fine but with the hilti any 80mm socket will do but the hilti ones are better.

As for the better one the hilti battery doesn't last nearly as long as the makita and stops working suddenly which some people might like but I preffer a bit of a warning so the labrador can go fetch a fresh one before it runs out, it also takes a bit longer to charge them, the brake system on the hilti is also not as good and it is more common to run the bolts clean off the thread when striking than when using the makita and the lights on the front stopped working within a couple of weeks on the hilti, no big deal but someone mentioned this can be the start of all the faults on the hilti where as the makita is like the day I bought it, just an opinion.

Hilti didnt have a 21mm socket in stock when I purchased the wrench, so I thought I'd just buy one from b and q (but ended up buying 4) think i will enquire at hilti and get them to order me one in, I presume you use a 21mm and not a 7/16 one?

Iv also noticed the hilti, when used on the highest torque setting, I can't stop it in time and it spins the nut straight off, much to the annoyance of the labourer who I make search for the lost nut. This only happens rarely maybe once a week.

It happens more than that here but sometimes the pressure is on to get them down and yes it's a 21mm socket.

Has anyone used any of the cheaper impact wrenches on the market today? A friend is looking to invest but doesn't want to spent £300-£400
He's looking more at the £150 range so I thought I see if anyone has used one in this price category and how they found the wrench?
Has it lasted?
Have you had any trouble with it?
I think bosch and dewalt do wrenches for around this price.

Has anyone used any of the cheaper impact wrenches on the market today? A friend is looking to invest but doesn't want to spent £300-£400
He's looking more at the £150 range so I thought I see if anyone has used one in this price category and how they found the wrench?
Has it lasted?
Have you had any trouble with it?
I think bosch and dewalt do wrenches for around this price.
Bought a durofix 18v imPact wrench comes with 2 lion battery's for £190 and a strobe light, same as ur mate wanted to try out a cheaper version before spending £400. What made me have a pop at this one is most iw weigh 1.8kg with battery this version only weighs 1.3kg only used it once but saved me an hour on a 20 ft front and back and had charge left out of the first battery. Don't want to big it up too much but 15 mins fast charge and no problem with it so far for less than £200 hope this helps

Nice one transom, didn't really expect anyone to reply to that one but there you are. Keep us posted as to it's continued durability and see if you can't make it last longer than the hired one's.;)

ive just been told we're no longer allowed to use them on bellway homes sites , ********
turns out a double failed somewhere and there blaming it on the wrench,
anyone else got these issues

Thats not good... id guess that LOTS of guys use the IW's now.

ive just been told we're no longer allowed to use them on bellway homes sites , ********
turns out a double failed somewhere and there blaming it on the wrench,
anyone else got these issues

This is the advent of a new but ongoing problem. If the tool you are purchasing is not job specific then the torque setting will give problems with the couplers. I have read where IW's are set to max torque they spin the nut off, if the IW is set at max torque on doing up the fitting this may be the issue with the "T Bolt" shearing. Your IW should be set to 50Nm if not it is incorrect for the job.

Is anyone using a bosch impact wrench, if so what's the verdict?.

Thing is alan tbh you get more concise & consistent tightening with a IW... in 25+years on the spanners like 99% of scaffolders i've never had a spanner with a torque setting on it nor checked the torque after doing them up, so the argument would be is our trusty spanner "fit for purpose".
The other thing worthy of note is the malita -for instance - has a recorded torque setting of 250kn, a frightning value you may think &;which may over prolonged use indeed damage the integrity of a fitting.- however on closer inspection of the data test sheet these values were reached in a lab bench test setting using a brand new drill & battery & tested on a new 8mm nut & bolt- not a used & worn drill in the rain on a muddy building site dealing with a 21mm nut that may not of been used for several weeks , serviced or not lol.......its not unusal when using an IW that occasionally you have to resort back to the spanner, but brakes my heart when i do have to

makita

Am using a makita ,not the brush less type but it did only cost £220 for the set new which I thought was good otherwise I might have thought about the Milwaukee also I like the fact you can use the same battery's on the radio which is next on my to buy list

A score for what is basically a modified gutter clip but I've not seen anything that works better.
Forget about Bigg Lugg hooks they come off your belt.
Spend £20 on a Gorilla Hook you won't regret it.

Been looking for a while now at one of these as my wrists are starting to go, can some of you please provide me with model numbers, looking closely at the Makita IW's but there are quite a few different types on the market. As I will be buying for myself I would rather buy correctly 1st time, many thanks in advance.

Top Bottom