What Impact Wrench do you Use?

haha, no.:rolleyes:

Maybe give the gate a knock to open or close it but that's it. I just pull them plum now and I know what you mean about levelling Dan but as with everything else you get better at it.

Na, don't use the wrench to hit anything, maybe use the socket to open or close gates, but that's it. Even when using the socket to do that you don't wanna pull on it too hard, over time it will damage the bit the socket connects to - the bloke from hilti said that's the most common repair they have to do and 9 time out of 10 its owned by a scaffolder. Jus one of them things you have to develop a teqnique for and over time it will becom second nature I suppose.

Last edited:
i use mine to plumb the standards phil after all its on fukking hire so who cares i say i pay hilti to hire it and service it so aint been fussed if i brake it and horrellsm just hire it off hilti on a fleet its a ton for deposit and im paying £3.50 aweek and they loan you 1 wen its broke and i brake mine alot lol i dropped it from 70 ft and they just replaced it fella

Check the warranty, I went with the hilti as its got a 2yr warranty at £370
Some of the other brands only have 12 months. If the dewalt falls into this category and breaks after 13 months it'll cost you £250 * 2 to get 24 months use out if it?
think hilti will fix their tools outside the warranty for a discounted price (£75 rings a bell) so maybe try to find out if dewalt offer something similar.

Never used dewalt but looks ok, does it have a 1/4 inch drive? Think hilti, Makita have 1/2 Inch drive. Not sure what difference this will make if any.

I'm no expert but good luck with any you decide to get. I think on an earlier page I found a bosch that was under £200 if your trying to get a cheap one.

I was using my 2 week old hilti the other day in wat I would describe as light drizzle. Erecting 2nd progressive 1.5m lift for brickies, trannying out a set of boards then lift that set, tranny out next set of boards then lift them, etc. progressively around the house,
Gloves were wet and getting the wet grit you get from lifting wet brickies boards covered in mortar, this grit got all over the hilti as I switched between lifting boards and trannying out.
As you I was using the hilti knocking the switch between clockwise and anti clockwise, grit got in the mechanism and it got really stiff.
Now carry separate gloves for lifting boards and erecting/using the hilti in wet weather.
Pissed it down today so had to leave it in the car...
Any of you guys that hire them had any trouble in the wet?

yobo had similar probs with the git and dirt getting in the impact drill but i use mine in all weathers and as i said above if it breaks just send it back tell them its not working proprly and they will check it out afterall its there property

It was probably one of steady 29's old ones, with a new plastic handle. Lol!
When I went into the Leeds branch, they had sold 3 hilti's that same day so he wouldn't budge on price.
Are you sure that was including vat and 2 batteries?
Did you get one then?

scaff2010 got his number?? i'll have to get on to hilti see what they can offer me

Stopped working because it had grit in it and was damp !!!£500!!!!!!
My MAKITA never had ANY problems and used it in heavy rain a lot of times .£380

Hilti fleet manageent is way foward. You pay them for a tool that works. If it breaks down its for them to repair or replace, thats what YOUR paying for. Had my hilti nearly 2 months now and can't imagine a days work without it! No battery fade, it either works or it don't. Hopefully he other companies will offer same deal when they realise what a killing hilti make from the fleet management. Plus at the end of the contract, you give the kackard tool back and they re-emberse you with your deposit, which you put back down on a brand new tool. Happy days.

I may be wrong but do hilti provide this service because there units cost a lot of money and it's a case of "when" it breaks not "if" ??

RV, we have both the makita and the hilti, you own the better off the 2 by a fair bit but both ours have had no problems to date. It maybe down to like most things if you own it you look after it as it has cost you cold hard cash, if you rent it you don't give a fcuk and treat it like any other part of your kit you have been supplied with.

I gotta say one thing back in the day when I was on the spanner( couple of weeks ago haha) before getting my hilti i would be absolutely nackerd coming home from work. God it saves a lot of strain on ur body n makes the job a hell of a lot easier to any doubters still out there.
No probs with hilti as yet n had it about a month.

hilti all the way with a bihex box, big in the game

Agree with hilti but haven't used anything else so a bit biased.

Questioning the bi hex box, I used one for a week but started to notice it was damaging some of the nuts on fittings. I noticed that my spanner was sticking on the 'damaged' bolts and it would take several precious seconds of effort to removed my spanner from these nuts....
Iv switched to a proper impact wrench hex socket and haven't had any trouble since.
The first one I bought was very short which I thought would be ideal for tight space between standards and wall.. But it was too short for the tread sticking out past a tight nut...
Second long one (I bought at same time as the first) when I pulled tag off noticed I'd bought 1/3 instead of 1/2 ....
Third one is mentioned above and was damaging nuts...
Fourth one is a red one designed for car garages so is too long...

Any advice on which one to get next would be helpful, I think the link on first page posted by red Viking doesn't work.

@redviking the hilti siw 14v wih charger, 2 batteries cost £370 including vat.
I though the hilti's 3 torque settings along with two year warranty, 2 free services and fact that theres a depot near me where i can get advice from, would give it the edge over the Makita but according to Aom this is not the case, I hadnt used either or an impact wrench full stop when I bought one 2 weeks ago, think it was your videos that made me buy one!

@ people who hire the hilti. Think it's a good way for lads to get one but at 3.50 a week thats 182 a year or by the time my 2 year warranty runs out you will have paid £364, at this point you will still have another year to pay the hire and will have already paid for the thing.
The bit that put me off was giving it back after 3yrs and getting a new one on hire for the next 3yrs.
In 6 years you will have had 2 new drills (but given them back)
To buy outright over 6 yrs you could have bought a new one every 2 yrs for same money, thats 3 drills in 6yrs plus you've sold the old ones for a couple of hundred quid!

To hire over a 30yr career it would cost approx £5460 (not taking into account inflation or leap years)
Still think hiring is a good system and if my 'bought outright' one gets stolen within 6 months il post on this tread and you can all give me some stick......

the hilti hire deal at first sounds like a good deal - especally iif you havent got the capital to buy one outright ,the thing that would worry me is if i fell out of work and would still have to cough up the hire,it may not seem a lot but if you were not working,everypenny in the pot counts _- where as if u bought it outright its an asseset that you could always sell and the IWs really hold there monet, as for breakdowns we now opperating 4 macs and the only thing we've had to do is replace a set of brushed which took 5mins &cost about £3 -personally my macs comin to the grave wiv me no way would i now go back to a spanner :)

@ yobo84 -
The hilti fleet management is over two years (mine is and everyone I know with one is two years too)
That means we pay about the same as you over two years, with any repairs if needed, then give the used tool back in return for you initial deposit, which varys from person to person.
That means thers not much difference between hire or buy the tool, except I'm not gona be trying to get rid of a knackard toll later down the line.
Just my point of view...

Top Bottom