walkout on lucite billingham

No I'm not management as many on here will varify.
It just seems to me that you have your issues confused, you (well Jim anyway) has taken a job without knowing what you will be paid.
I feel sorry for the lads that have lost their jobs but I can't see why you think it's blue book from what has been posted here tonight.
And I've had problems with Hertel in the past too.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Which union is dealing with this?

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Which Union?

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Hello

as i earlier posted some companys will pay "blue book rates" but the site may not be a designated site.
I was on a pharmaceutical plant shutdown 2 years ago babcocks were payed blue book but we were not,i knew that when i started thats just the nature of the beast.
The men should be reinstated i have no doubts about that.
Then yous will have to note your greivances and ask for parrity with the rest of the site workforce.
Make an issue of the 2 tier employment scenario but by the time yous go through the process the shutdown will be over.
Your actions might get the rate up for future jobs but i wouldnt hold my breath,as long as there have been men in there before you accepting the rates then they will still have men willing to take the jobs.
As stressed before back the steward and best of luck

I may have got carried away people mocking and winding up it's not clever in a situation like this the main point in lads back in work then the rate will be sorted

as i earlier posted some companys will pay "blue book rates" but the site may not be a designated site.
I was on a pharmaceutical plant shutdown 2 years ago babcocks were payed blue book but we were not,i knew that when i started thats just the nature of the beast.
The men should be reinstated i have no doubts about that.
Then yous will have to note your greivances and ask for parrity with the rest of the site workforce.
Make an issue of the 2 tier employment scenario but by the time yous go through the process the shutdown will be over.
Your actions might get the rate up for future jobs but i wouldnt hold my breath,as long as there have been men in there before you accepting the rates then they will still have men willing to take the jobs.
As stressed before back the steward and best of luck

Good point Daftscaff,

I have worked for Hertel on few occasions over the years and unlike DSL Capes etc the don't pay Blue Book rate on industrial sites unless the site operates under the NAECI agreement .

http://www.unitetheunion.org/sector...onstruction/naeci_wage_rates__allowances.aspx

As mentioned the sparks and mechy lads might be receiving the blue book rate on the forthcoming shutdown but its something they have agreed with their employers and not a cross site agreement.

What Hertel do do however (at least on non Blue Book sites i have worked on) was pay actual time and a half and double time as opposed to overtime A and overtime B rates as per Blue Book, also lodge and travel (radius) where in line with the NAECI agreement . Coupled with the various site bonuses then the take home pay (the important bit) wasn't much different than blue book when working 7 a 10hr shifts, once the job went to the basic 38hrs it was time to move on :blink1:

Don't fall into the trap of sympathising with the smog monsters , mob the job out then bring it to its knees its the smoggie way . On a personal note I would never cross a picket line even if i didn't agree with the dispute :mad:

Last edited:
podger i agree with you. smoggies are notorious for causing strikes so they get no sympathy when some of the lads are **** on wether they are right or wrong, i know a lot of firms avoid employing boro lads now.
i have lots of mates from boro, good lads but too militant for their own good.

no ones asking fo sympathy mate.. if you got nothing constructive to say why bother , your head is obviosly full of cotton wool..

I was on the line yesterday,

When the big lad said at the end their was going to be a meeting later that day what happened because we all went home after that.also he said their is a face book page does anyone know how to find it on their.cheers.

well said the podger NEVER CROSS A PICKET
AS FOR THE SMOGGIE BASHING IM NOT GETTING INTO THAT,ITS LADS THAT HAVE BEEN LAYED OFF AND SHOULD BE REINSTATED IS THE REAL ISSUE.
THE RATES AND THE REST IS FOR ME ANOTHER ISSUE,1 I DONT THINK THEY WILL WIN AND THE BACKING OF THE OTHER TRADES MAY DWINDLE AS REGARDS TO THAT.
BEST WISHES AND STICK TOGETHER TO GET THE LADS BACK IN

how the fook did a miss this thread , need to get on here more . i cant believe a smoggie walked . the loyalest most trustworthy people in the world . great scaffs . i just wish there was more of them . without these great people we would have to do a full week at work , be without the great parmo , be to breath clearly and have no threat to dish out to our children when there naughty

well i thought that this site was about us all sticking together, how wrong was i!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

no wonder i don't get involved!!!!!!!! enjoy!!!!!!!

We should all stick together fella but many folk in the game now have there own agenda which may be of a monetry nature related directly to the individual in question !! To cross a picket line no matter if you agree or not is a brave move and not one I would undertake personally ! Bully's if allowed will continue to bully unless you stand up and be counted and that takes a bit of doing in certain places as you may be alone but folk need to realise that further down the line kids coming through will benefit from fighting for rights and conditions !!

We should all stick together fella but many folk in the game now have there own agenda which may be of a monetry nature related directly to the individual in question !! To cross a picket line no matter if you agree or not is a brave move and not one I would undertake personally ! Bully's if allowed will continue to bully unless you stand up and be counted and that takes a bit of doing in certain places as you may be alone but folk need to realise that further down the line kids coming through will benefit from fighting for rights and conditions !!

Its part of the 'rules'.
Even if you dont agree with what is going on, if your on a Union run, Blue Book site and they call a strike - you ALL go out the door - Unified and as one.

Its something that id have thought was a gentleman's agreement, as soon as you agree to work on a Union job.

Of course you do fella but as stated earlier in the post some fellas decided to go to work and unless unified the fight is divided !! It's usually down to local man who forsees years o work ahead against tarvelling man who maybe see's things are all wrong and could be better but needs back up to change the current situation which in turn will help local in the long term !! Hold back on a couple o penny's to gain real pounds longer term on better conditions I say !!

some of the comments regarding working men on strike are way off the mark and in my opinion a fecking disgrace.
rightly or wrongly the right to withdraw labour is all the ordinary worker has.
if and i do hope the lads win their case will the comedians be as quick to applaud these men i dont think so.
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL
OR IS IT IM ALRIGHT JAK:eek:

Scaffolders in Billingham sacked over pay rates call

Oct 2 2011 by Stephen Cape, Sunday Sun

INDUSTRIAL action has hit a construction site after workers were laid off following a pay review request, it has been claimed.

In total 14 scaffolders lost their jobs at the end of last week.

A picket line was set up immediately outside the site in Billingham, Teesside, and other trades such as fitters and electricians walked out in sympathy, calling for the men to be reinstated.

Although the walk-out was illegal under employment law, workers claimed the picket line swelled to more than a 100 outside the old Cassel Works site. Management insisted the numbers were nearer to 60 people.

Union officials from Unite and the GMB held talks with the company in a bid to get them back to work. However, no deal could be brokered, according to one official at the negotiations.

The first one to lose his job was scaffolder Tony Seaman, an activist for the UNITE union.

He told the Sunday Sun that he had taken a letter of grievance to the management last Wednesday wanting to talk about increasing pay.

The worker claimed he was asked to leave the site, along with another 13 scaffolders.

He added: “I think it is wrong and we are very angry about this.

“All we wanted was a review into our pay. We are on £10.46 a hour and under the blue book agreement we wanted £14. What is wrong with that?” The chemical site was formerly owned by ICI but is now in the hands of Lucite International. The work involves a range of key jobs including changing old pipework.

A skeleton picket line will remain on all weekend and Mr Seaman claimed that 90% of the workforce now supported their bid for reinstatement. The full picket line will return tomorrow.

It’s understood that union officials and the company agreed on Friday to take the matter to the conciliation service ACAS, but a condition was that the picket line should be removed.

However workers refused to call off the action until they were given their jobs back and on Friday the matter was deadlocked.

Regional UNITE official Bill Green said: “The unions have told the men that they are on their own because the walk-out is illegal. The company claimed they never received a grievance letter. This is an unfortunate and regrettable matter that needs to be sorted out.”

The Middlesbrough-based company at the centre of the dispute said it had ended the temporary contracts of the 14 men.

HR and Communications Director at Hertel UK David Massey said: “Due to changes in the scope of the work we are carrying out at Lucite, the company was in a position where it needed to end a number of temporary contracts.

“This has involved 14 men, all of whom were employed as temporary scaffolders and labourers. The process was managed in accordance with standard procedures with appropriate notice issued to each of the affected employees.”

Talks are expected to take place soon.

Top Bottom