walkout on lucite billingham

£145 a day - would be ok for a long term job or a job at home but no good for us travellers.
Be ok for 1/2 days graft like today though. :)

I rest my case,

This is why i decided to join this thread, to try and get people (scaffs) not to just jump on the bandwagon when someone wants to cause "trouble" and realise that most of the time they havnt got a leg to stand on.

It was good to see all the trades to stick together,but where has it got them?
without CONCRETE points to make, nowhere! except a few days less pay and 14 off them payed off before they were due to be, who probably would have got 4-6 more weeks.

Its a shame the lads didn't get reinstated but it was on the cards from the beginning.

again this is just my opinion, so don't start all the slagging off again, just put your points below and give the reasons why you joined the walkout and you think it was right, lets have a proper debate and we all might learn something.
then again we might not.

welcome shak

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome gents.

My mate doesnt want to join the forum - I've tried to tell him to but he wont have it, he's useless on computers, better with a spanner. haha He's a bit miffed to say the least joining in with this. All well and good fighting a cause but the lesson he's learnt is to make sure theres one to fight in the first place.

firm is hertel on there an everyone is on a diff rate for example adv scaff 10.36 plus 2.50 bonus **** i know cordell 14.50 plus bonus!!! i was informed every shutdown/outage was blue book plus new build?

Last edited:
firm is hertel on there an everyone is on a diff rate for example adv scaff 10.36 plus 2.50 bonus **** i know cordell 14.50 plus bonus!!! i was informed every shutdown/outage was blue book plus new build?

if its like the shut downs they have on b.a.s.f monsanto at seal sands for hertel the maintenance lads get a reduced bonus over the shut down period so hertel dont have to pay the temporary lads there full bonus ive also heard that once the temps have gone they get there bonus made back up and back dated .well thats the rumour

if its like the shut downs they have on b.a.s.f monsanto at seal sands for hertel the maintenance lads get a reduced bonus over the shut down period so hertel dont have to pay the temporary lads there full bonus ive also heard that once the temps have gone they get there bonus made back up and back dated .well thats the rumour

seems a strange way of doing things thats for sure

After reading the content of those letters, it looks like (as has been said before) the whole situation has been blown out of proportion. If the letters are correct, it seems like there has been some false information spread from the start.

If it is true that there had been a reduction on manpower planned then it seems hard to believe that men were finished for asking about their rate.

Maybe next time something like this happens, the lads involved should have the union involved from the start, not halfway through.

I'm all for lads sticking together to make sure they are treated fairly or to get what they have been promised. I fail to see what these lads thought they were going to achieve by holding an unofficial strike and one based on what looks like hearsay.

a lot of facts of this dispute are getting mixed up, we now have a directive from the union which we are now following . and as a result will recieve full union backing.

Get back to work you cant just walk out i bet

sort of andy they have asked us to return to work and serve a 2nd grievence letter with meetings happening today and early tomorrow all i can say on the matter is 90% of the lads stuck together united we stand divided we fall

The Unions will work within the law, or be fined large amounts in later court cases

The lads involved will be picked off one by one for various reasons and it will all be forgotten before Christmas

I have not commented on the thread before as in my experience a full picture of the dispute is very rarely put forward,wildcat walkouts are a thing of the past, Maggie pulled all the teeth out of the unions when she was left to defeat the miners while most of the other trade unions looked the other way

Am i the only person reading this and finding it increasingly confusing.

The allegations

14 men sacked for asking for the correct rate.
Grievance procedure letter submitted.
No company inductions.
Full union support.

The facts as they are now known

14 temporary workers laid off with one weeks leiu of notice after a reduction in work scope.
No official grievance procedure started.
Part of hertels employment procedures are that a signed statement stating that the men have been inducted must be forwarded to payroll before payments can be made. part of that procedure is the rates of pay. Hertel as a company would not miss this out.
This was an illegal action that has no backing from the union.

Now one other thing that ive thought of is that the men who were paid off are the only peolple who have made money in the last week. Is this money being divided amongst those who went on strike i suspect not. How many of those men would have went on strike if they had known the truth not many i reckon.

Solidarity is called for and i would agree with that but only once everyone knows the honest truth not the smoke and mirrors that have been used here.

The other thing that everyone should realise is that lucite have incurres losses in the last week that they will want to recover. This is likely to cost some innocents theyre livelyhoods.

And before anyone accuses me of being from Hertel or Lucite i am not but i have been in the game 25 years and have seen all this before.

No Scotontour you are not the only one.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Welcome to the forum

Top Bottom