Unit transoms, easyfix, readylock and bones

I always found them a bit awkward to base out with (having a 21ft standard with a bone attached for a 2.00m high lift the bending down to pick up the ledger) especially when there is no wall to butt up to, for a example on a timber framed house. but the 2nd and 3rd lifts was a doddle. we didn't even use a level, just a stick and a bit of chalk to mark of the lift height.

use them as a foot tie(on the ground) like an 8' tower, dont try and base them off with a 2m lift, they will make the best scaffs look foolish.

they are great when wanting to stck on lifts ,,, just hang on ledger

not a big lover of them especially as they are 5 and a half boards wide which leaves big gap for debri to fall thru which in itself is a safety issue. before anyone jumps up and says the reason for the gap is to allow for tolerances in differences in board widths i already know as i also know ive never come across 5 boards yet that were wide enough to fill the gap.

They are quite heavy and can be bit awkward to load an unload by hand and especially pass up lift by lift while erecting or dismantling.

As for bracing it is very rare i dont brace anything , I like to go home at night knowing what ive put up isnt gonna come back down before it is suppose to, so even if i have drawings stating no braces if i think the scaffold doesnt feel right i brace it ,

They are measured an extra 4" I think its so a toeboard can fit down either side of the platform between the boards on the lift and standards. When I started using them years ago in manchester, the scaffs used to call them animals lol. We also had the single inside board transoms that we used to call walking sticks, hockey sticks or board bearers. A speedy bit of kit. No need to brace unless the job aint tied.

No need to put in a kicker lift lads.

-First make up a goal post using 2 standards and a double arm
-One scaffolder can then hold this.
-The second scaffolder then lifts in a ledger, and the first scaffolder wraps it off.
-Then the second scaffolder fits a temporary dummy standard to pick up the loose end of the ledger.
-Fit the rest of the double arms to this ledger and offer up the standards.
-Drop in the outside ledger.

Hope that was clear.

The problem with these items is technical specifications and manufacturer
There are various forms and suppliers of bones/ animals etc but not all have any test results and are of varying quality,as an engineer,we have problems verifying them.
The consensus was previously that if they had no form of sheeting or netting and were tied at 4m x 4m then they were ok - but can anyone find them in TG 20?
No! So they require design input but if as engineers we can't get high quality technical information,how can we satisfy ourselves that we are acting correctly

There is some manufacturers instructions for the use of these from S.G.B, i think there was original 2 mqanufactures GKN mills and S.G.B, the only guidnace for these i have seen is what has been issued through S.G.b

The problem with these items is technical specifications and manufacturer
There are various forms and suppliers of bones/ animals etc but not all have any test results and are of varying quality,as an engineer,we have problems verifying them.
The consensus was previously that if they had no form of sheeting or netting and were tied at 4m x 4m then they were ok - but can anyone find them in TG 20?
No! So they require design input but if as engineers we can't get high quality technical information,how can we satisfy ourselves that we are acting correctly

Morning Diane,
for the benefit of all
There is a previous thread on this subject search Readylok and it will come up.
In answer to your question Diane, they are in TG 20, page 64, 17.2 Proprietary components.
17.2.2 Transoms with couplers attached
Two couplers, which would be used to connect a transom and two standards, are replaced by two half couplers fixed to each end of a transom member.
Intermediate transom members are also available without connections for standards.
Provided that the couplers have equivalent strength to the couplers they replace, a direct substitution may be made. In all other respects the provisions of this guide including bracing and tying recommendations shall be adhered to or the scaffold shall be specially designed.
This almost answered you question about the designers plight right up to the last seven words.
This is something that even SGB have been doing in their brochures for the last 40 years or so they refer you to the design office who they have failed to provide the information to?
In the absence of adequate information and/or suitable test data neither you nor the industry are in a position to do anything other than to follow the code and add bracing.
An argument I have been having for many years rumbles on it would seem
regards
Alan

Absolutely agree Alan - we have no choice but to brace without comprehensive technical data.
My worry is that if one of these scaffolds collapses-god forbid, not because of lack of bracing but say because of tie failure,it leaves the contractor open to scrutiny of why it wasn't braced and lack of data to back this up.
There are so many of these unsheeted,unbraced scaffolds erected.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

What I didn't say in my original post was that the consensus was unsheeted/no netting = no bracing. That's the problem! I was aware of unit transoms as a transom element in TG 20. But try to convince a scaffolder........old habits die hard,and we are trying to help,not hinder

Absolutely agree Alan - we have no choice but to brace without comprehensive technical data.
My worry is that if one of these scaffolds collapses-god forbid, not because of lack of bracing but say because of tie failure,it leaves the contractor open to scrutiny of why it wasn't braced and lack of data to back this up.
There are so many of these unsheeted,unbraced scaffolds erected.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

What I didn't say in my original post was that the consensus was unsheeted/no netting = no bracing. That's the problem! I was aware of unit transoms as a transom element in TG 20. But try to convince a scaffolder........old habits die hard,and we are trying to help,not hinder

All you can do Diane is point them at the code.
Read the other thread it may help
regards
Alan

ready lock transoms are not in tg20, there for all scaffolds erected to tg20 must be braced according to nasc. if you use them and don't brace! then you need a drawing.( from a family member in HSE)

We kinda knew that Carl but welcome to the forum anyway.

Always brace em, most street jobs I see up here are'nt braced though when using arms..

Weather you brace or not one things for sure, boards won't fit unless you drop a toeboard in both sides!!

I like to start a bit of a debate and gain some feedback on unit transoms from the scaffs.

1. Who uses ledger bracing with unit transoms?

2. Who has the manufacturers instructions for them?

3. What do you think you can do with them with regard to height?

If

They are crap try using a couple of doubles and a tape much lighter!! Bones 5 and a half boards wide leave it out

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

I like to start a bit of a debate and gain some feedback on unit transoms from the scaffs.

1. Who uses ledger bracing with unit transoms?

2. Who has the manufacturers instructions for them?

3. What do you think you can do with them with regard to height?

If

I always found them a bit awkward to base out with (having a 21ft standard with a bone attached for a 2.00m high lift the bending down to pick up the ledger) especially when there is no wall to butt up to, for a example on a timber framed house. but the 2nd and 3rd lifts was a doddle. we didn't even use a level, just a stick and a bit of chalk to mark of the lift height.
Don't base ouut with a 20 then!! ever heard of an 8 foot. you blokes ever base out with a temp and a butt!!

The mac 62
So true, one firm I've had the privilege to work for, ran out of easy fix, they were all fcuked as no one could base out without easy fix.
I thought " every dog has his day"
No one had a measuring tape,
Felt like an instructor at the scaffold course, lol.
I even got asked " how can you base out without using a butt on your standard ?"
"That's what the 5 ft. Transom does u muppet "

Seems these ready locks/bones are quite popular with a lot of scaffs. Ive seen the extenda types but dont know too much about them,so just for debates sake,can you answer these questions.
An earlier post by mousehouse complains about lack of data.
So how can you include them in your drawings with out this information.
I know you said you compensate by adding ledger bracing.
So why bother with double arms if your ledgerbracing.?
Isnt the point of double arms to do away with ledger bracing.
I would stick my neck out and say a doublearm transome would be less likely to come apart in high winds with debris netting, than standard single tied trannies. (I know nothing!)
You also say you would be more worried about Scaffold collapse, not through lack of bracing but through ties failing.
Then the tie seems to be the most important part of this design,for system to work. Ties are supposed to have a pullout test arent they.
Looking at the double arms logically,its practically an aberdeen tie,all round.
Am I Waffling? Sorry if Ive misunderstood something.
Jakdan and others have built these without ledgerbracing,:unsure:

extenda and bones totally different are,nt they, bones are much more a structural component whereas the extenda is more a transom that extends out for inside boards.

most use bones to erect without braces but use ties in a certain pattern to accomadate lack of bracing, designers wont do drawings that show scaffolds without bracing due to lack of data available more on big jobs I think than general timber frame scaffolds upto 5 lifts or something like that.

not an expert on them myself . so could be talking total fcukin ******** mate :nuts: Im sat at pc now Fcukin Spannered :laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom