Unit transoms, easyfix, readylock and bones

simian

Reaction score
I like to start a bit of a debate and gain some feedback on unit transoms from the scaffs.

1. Who uses ledger bracing with unit transoms?

2. Who has the manufacturers instructions for them?

3. What do you think you can do with them with regard to height?

If

I like to start a bit of a debate and gain some feedback on unit transoms from the scaffs.

If

1. the company i used to be CM for used them with no bracing, mainly timber frame, but they were well tied,(with drawing)

2. front brochure from generation only.

3. took Northern rock 22 lifts up, with the only the bottom 6 braced, it went up 15 lifts without a brace, but was tied every 4m2,
the job was also a splay with 26 4m bays and was standing for almost 1 year complete.

dog bones lets be honnest some cant scaffold with out them

Working for Interserve at the mo & we always brace em. Firm before that used them but that pri*k thought braces were for holding his tweed breeches up!!!
Not my favourite bit of kit if I'm honest, prefere plain old tube & fittings.

Always just braced the base lift myself, then ties thereafter if it's going over 3 lifts.

If

Morning Simian
HJA started a similar thread under the heading "Readylok Transoms"
Some varied opinions there may help you here.
regards
Alan

not a big lover of them especially as they are 5 and a half boards wide which leaves big gap for debri to fall thru which in itself is a safety issue. before anyone jumps up and says the reason for the gap is to allow for tolerances in differences in board widths i already know as i also know ive never come across 5 boards yet that were wide enough to fill the gap.

They are quite heavy and can be bit awkward to load an unload by hand and especially pass up lift by lift while erecting or dismantling.

As for bracing it is very rare i dont brace anything , I like to go home at night knowing what ive put up isnt gonna come back down before it is suppose to, so even if i have drawings stating no braces if i think the scaffold doesnt feel right i brace it ,

Did a 200 foot chimmney last year , just sway brace ,, went up a treat ,, ready lock are a great job

If

1. Only if ledger bracing is specified in drawing ,no drawing no ledger braces assuming correct tie patterns fitted.

2. I can't read Chinese.

3. Do you mean lift heights or height of completed scaffold?

fast as fook and great for tower blocks, never braced either but ties were specified at 2 lifts by three bays.
their all the rage in bristol but you'll find that blokes who've used them all their lives are fecked when it comes to pipe and clamp?

worked for gkn about 20 years ago and we had the same debate some peaple said you needed them and others said you didnt to settle it the gaffer got the safety man to check up on it as it turned out the manufactures recomended you use doglegs with them

I have always used ledger bracing with them.
Isn't it funny what other people call the. In Hull we call them Crabs and Board Bearers...

Pipe and clamp, are you for real ?

nooo, i'm takin the piss. lol

if yer gonna use a bone make sure its a gb mk3, imo the best, though recently there has been some snide bones that are twisted and for some stupid reason the idiots have allowed the nickel plate to get into the ledger housing? and so the bolt ends up seizing so youve gotta extend yer winder with a butt!

the worst bone ive used is the mills, the standard(upright) bolt tends to be a bit too long for yer box, so you end up twattin yerself if yer in a hurry!!

Top Bottom