Swivels?

aom

Reaction score
After Frederik kicked me all over the load bearing question I just got to wondering, how many still use them for jobs like roof saddles?

I used to...back in the day?? Now would tube across with doubles.
reason???? The load factor on the pin/rivet of swivel.
Personal opnion

We still use swivels.

I did not know about the method of using a tube and doubles until I did my part 2 a couple of years ago. To me it just seems easier to use a swivel but thats probably because I have never given the other method a chance.

One of the old time scaffs even uses singles for the ledgers on the saddles. Again I did too until I did my part 2. I now use Mills Doubles and am the source of amusement for it but don't care. I find it funny when I wrench the life out the fittings and they have to strip my jobs. :toung:

Swivels are just a piece of our kit Aom , dont see the problem to be honest , we have used to use them on loading bays for gates before the new ones came about , and i never seen a problem with them , always use them on braces how else you gonna put in your sway brace ? I think there is to many people telling scaffolders that this aint know good anymore or you cant do that its dangerous. and yes i have used them on roof Saddles to brace the legs and never had any problems :)

We always use them for bracing Phil and have occasionally used them like Dass for small domestic roofs but anything on a biggish scale always get's punched from a ledger at gutter height using doubles. I don't see the problem either but do remember a lot of discussion about the capacity of the center on a swivel.

Might just be me then GM, it won't be the first time I have to be honest.:embarrest:

Load of old rubbish if you ask me AOM , how many swivels you seen failed ?
all temporary roofs use swivels as plan braces , i never seen any problems until the last few years with all this SG20 and designs for everything and still have yet to see a problem with the way things where always done , and always will be on some firms ;)

Aye, fair enough Phil and in answer to your question I have never seen a swivel fail. I'm not even sure where I got that information from exactly it might even just be one of these urban myths we keep hearing about but honestly I have been punching up full heavy saddles for a few years now, might just go back to the old swivel and the ridge up the erse.:eek:

When your in a Training Centre, your taught how to erect a chimney scaffold/saddle using doubles. The pin on a swivel is the weak point of the fitting, but we've all done it so right or wrong....?

Every man to his own AOM if you are using doubles instead of swivels and your happy with the way its going stick to what you like i think it comes down to personal preference

Every man to his own AOM if you are using doubles instead of swivels and your happy with the way its going stick to what you like i think it comes down to personal preference

It must be one off the few things that still is GM but you may be right. If I'm honest I would still be happy using a swivel and sometimes still do but always try and get a ledger in at the bottom off 2 standards as well. I wasn't trying to kick off a hullabaloo but I may have.:noworry:

Swivs on the saddle tube,then band and plate on the ledgers,which sit nicely on your short board...........quick,easy and i have'nt seen one fail yet,and i've seen some so overloaded it's a wonder they dont go straight through the roof,it should be obvious to the feckin brickies not to stack tons of brick on em,and then they moan when all the slates are cracked when you strip it ffs:cry:

I have seen me run beams from back to front on the first lift above the apex depending on how daft the fekin brickie looks.

After Frederik kicked me all over the load bearing question I just got to wondering, how many still use them for jobs like roof saddles?

Aww,Alistaire,was all in fun. :noworry: The original question being,are swivs load bearing. Seems they are,but the application is down to interpretation,or what your comfortable with. Personally,prefer to see doubles. Phillios,General and bigfish make it a balanced debate.

The only way i have know other than a couple of saddles but not for stack for gable end it was done on doubbles every othetr job is swivels and then unfortunatly singles on the inside ledge doubble ender off standard down and maby ocasionally sometimes tie the standard to the saddle by swivel and then mat it out to the indapendant if its less that 13 if more we bang up a walk way ruff as fek i know but i no other way really that how the lads do it and ya knpow wt its like when a part yan fires ideas its quickly disregarded lol

You mean for the 'Scissors' over the roof?
Sometimes... but i prefer using Band and Plate, as i trust them more then a Swivel.

I know they have supposedly been upgraded to the same as a Double - 6.1kn or something, but i trust a Double more then i trust the pin in the middle of a Swivel, lol.

Top Bottom