Scaffold step

text book or not - you have to work as per the company instructions and giving such a strong opinion to a safety officer face to face can get you thrown off site!!

Ah of course, if someone who has to work with a system they believe unsafe and say they are unhappy about it, chuck him off his job, why not, problem solved.....

the scaff step is an accident waiting to happen. i would like to see a safety man try and top out on one off these. if u lose ur balence u dont have a lot of room to rectify this problem. so u ether lose the tube or fall in a high street enviroment this could be fatal. but if the man says use them use them . but on his shoulders lies the blame.

agree to some point but i remember not too long back toppin out on tube or one board no sg4 in reebok classics, the step offers a lot more foothold than that!:laugh:

Sorry to drag this one back!!

Its all good & well having an opinion on things.

I have now been using a scaff step for a couple of weeks now. The problems I have found with it are as follows.

Location, Housing site work. Client & Customer insist these are used. Working two handed. Step is a clip on type with fixed steps.

When basing out I build the frame with the braces & a 5ft next to it & sway. I then have to run a tube at around 950mm off the ground to attach the step up to. When progressing along a long section to access in you have to duck under the rail!

Problems we encounter are the ground being uneven.

When stepping up & down stepping onto loose material, (twisted my knee last week).

Its bad enough stepping through braces with your belt & harness catching let alone dragging the step through.

The lift heights are normally 2m or lower. when lower than 2m the ledger when on the step is lower than 950mm!!! Thought the idea was to do it this way to have a handrail (ledger). Handrails have to be 950mm minimum.

Second lift, One site we have stairs so getting them up is no problem, but when you get a ladder access no chance. Rope it up the outside along with the fittings & short gear!!

Again housing site work is short lifts the ledger is below 950mm when on the step!! Brick guards have to all be removed & then replaced as the site wants them on for plasterers!! Again it is very rare for the lift to be cleaned off so you are stepping on debris.

Am I doing something wrong!! Other than using one.

Wanted to work off a temp dummy lift off the bottom rail! Not allowed!!

Just as well I got my A card & over 20 years experience!!

Ragscaff :mad:

i thought the step had been introduced for 2m lifts?

I know its a ball ache but couldnt you overcome the h/rail being too low by putting both the top and intermediate h/rail in. i know its not ideal but wouldn't that keep you with the protection you need?

Its the ledger that acts as the handrail that is too low. In order to reach the bottom hand rail on the next lift I would still need to stand on something!!

Its the ledger that acts as the handrail that is too low. In order to reach the bottom hand rail on the next lift I would still need to stand on something!!

what size lifts are you working on?
is it possible to put the intermediate h/rail on from the lift your stood on?

or more practical to use another system?

Last edited:
what happened to letting scaffs get on with their job, cut the prices and give them more work to do, are steps practical ?

The lift heights range from 0.5m to 2m depending on the design of the plots. The roofing lift is easy cause you can complete all ledgers handrails etc from the boarded lift.

I have asked if we can use dummy lifts but we have to use the step up because the client wants us too.

I am 46 years of age & my knees are f**ked so it is taking a toll on me, but if you want to work you have to do it.

Thats what gets to me, experience in these circumstances count for nothing because you are not allowed to work to a safe procedure, you have to work to A procedure.

Been the same since site agents started reading SG booklets!!:eek:

They know more than me.

RAGSCAFF

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

what happened to letting scaffs get on with their job, cut the prices and give them more work to do, are steps practical ?

NO they are not :eek::eek:

Ragscaff i couldnt agree more. site agent goes on courses for a couple of days and tries to tell me my lads are doing it wrong - BEHAVE mr site agent

Hi Ragscaff,

The step was introduced to be used on 2m lifts, which would mean the ledger and the guardrail is roughly at 1m intervals.

The step is not the only type of equipment that should be used although i know this sounds health and safety orientated , but it is down the employer to seek the right type of collective protection method/ protection - When all else fails then you can work to S.G.4-10.

The step although practical in some ways is not practical in other ways - hence small lifts etc.

Although the step can be place on the floor if the ground is not acceptably on building the building site then get the main contractor to sort it.

The H.S.E do accept reasonable measures and not just the step, although sometimes scaffs say that this impacts on price work - then as a whole the scaffold company`s need to reflect on the price given.

But overall the step , advanced guardrail or the short lift system of work is there to try and protect us. When i was on the spanners there were not as many rules then as there are now, which i would find a bit frustrating if i was scaffolding now, it is hard to change the mental attitude of habit.

All the best

Top Bottom