Scaffold step

Just a thought on AGR systems as the purpose is to prevent a fall. How about bracing the end standards in opposite directions and attaching a device something similar to a ratchet strap to the 2 standards and tighten it up, it could be in a reel for easy handling from lift to lift, Dont see how it could'nt work, anyone got any thoughts on it as a solution.

You would still need to get to the point of attaching it. Also how would you get it from one corner to the other?

It would need to be on the inside of the standards then on higher lifts would not be supported on every standard where hemps go, i.e only supported every 4m or so.

Using a 21ft tube above the fixed handrail 7 sliding it in advance of your position is the quickest & only way to proceed to maintain 100% compliance. You are using the equipment you have got!!

Ragscaff

Paddy,
Just something I'm tossing around in my mind, If the first and last outside standards were sway braced in opposite directions, you'd have a rigid connection point both ends of the scaffold to attach a device similar to a ratchet strap encased in a reel, tightened up it would be similar to a lifeline on structures such as piperacks which you can use if you clip on, of course you still have to access the 2 standards to clip on and ratchet, but its only 2 compared to the whole line of standards if you're using the step.You could also take a measurement on the 2 standards as for guardrail height and once ratched up you have a level for your doubles. Once your guardrail is on, it's reeled in ready for the next lift. Note. I would imagine it would have to be certified periodically as is the case with slings and such like. The B. Safe. AGR system seems to be a good system, but expensive, but I also can envisage though not mentioned in the sale promotion, that it too will require periodic certification.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Stewart.
Agree, time wise, cost wise, best to use the gear at hand, see your point with the sliding guardrail but you've still got to put the first 21 in from the lift below before you can access the lift and a problem is some sites wont allow it and you could argue the rights and wrongs all day with the S/O but if his minds set you get no work done unless its done his way and that costs money. The ratchet strap device thing I was thinking about is just something I thought about as a possible quicker, cheaper way to keep everyone happy and of course safe. Your right, it has to be on the inside of the standards, you would walk it on the lift by passing it over the transoms, but you still would need to access the 2 standards but not to fix a tube. The staggered standards would be a problem, could it be overcome?, possibly, with a bit of thought. As I've said in the previous post, I would imagine it would need to be certified periodically but then I would envisage all AGR systems will have go through the same process, after all their marketed as life saving devices, another cost.

PS. A possible advantage with a strap system would be that you would'nt have to hemp over a guardrail, It would be possible to hemp a tube in the normal manner by inserting it in the inside of the strap.

Last edited:
In our method the first rail is installed from the ladder gap. You have to have access on each lift also it would be no different to fitting with the scaff step but its from a fixed position & the board up to the gap acts as extra protection. i.e.

This method statement looks at the current trend to work as a two handed gang.

Also the consideration in regards to progressive work, price work & jobs up to three lifts. In the domestic & Industrial sectors. Taking into consideration uneven ground & traditional build.

Once the base lift has been completed & made safe the first access point should be prepared, from below, the area should be boarded & an internal ladder access point should be installed. With standards to each side of access.
Once the ladder has been fixed lay a tube of the suitable length on top of the boards. i.e for a long run a 6m tube or for a 5m tower a 5m tube etc.
Pick up two doubles & progress up the ladder.
Using the ledger & the board gap as edge protection fix the doubles to the standards each side of the ladder gap. At a height of 1m approx.
Lift the rail into the doubles, close the gates & nip fix one double.
You can then access the boarded section & fix the permanent single or double rail below the advance rail.
You then proceed to slide this rail by first undoing the nipped double & fixing another at each standard.
When accessing the next point of fixing make sure the previous double has been nipped.
You will then be able to tunnel as normal behind the single rail. Clip on when boarding. But again the boarding can be progressed from above or below.
When you get to a hemping point slide the advanced rail up to the hemp. Nip the last double prior to the hemping point. Collect the hemp & access to the hemping point via the near side of the scaffold. Clip onto the inside standard & hemp at the correct angle. Once this has been done you can continue sliding the rail & completing the scaffold in the tunnelling method behind the single rail.
When progressing to the return, clip onto the inside standard fix the first double & install the next rail. When doing this stay within the 1m exclusion zone from the unprotected edge.
This procedure can be used on all subsequent lifts & then the advanced rail can be used as the last bottom handrail.
To strike a job complete the above in reverse.
All ties must be fitted as the work progresses

100% compliance no need for extra kit!
Use the equipment to hand

Steward.
I agree with you on everything in your post, its a common sense approach to the problem of working behind an advanced guardrail, the problem is most S/O's are not experienced enough in scaffolding practises and only see the situation from the ground looking up, if they see scaffolders on a lift that is only partially protected no matter how safe they are at that particular point, they flip. Its a mental thing with them, generated by fear of doing that themselves, much like an over protective parent not letting a child out to play. They dont want blots on their copy books, so they want all angles covered. It's self preservation job wise, theirs.

ok gmanscaff,daddycoolscaff here just posted a thread to voice my opinion on the step an accident waiting to happen,i agree with you its a farse

The idea of the step is so that you can comply to regulation as to what is reasonable as practicably , The step was 1st introduced some 6 years ago in order to help the scaffolder`s and companies comply to the safe working at heights.

Although alot of guys do not like the new systems the fact is it is here to stop, everything moves forward and things change in every occupation at some point.

The new guys that come into scaffolding (trainees) will not complain as they do not know any different , it is hard to get used to change but we all i have to accept it at some point . lol

Well done outward bound spoken like a true safety officer or a supervisor who knows jack ****...we know it's hear to stay, still a bad idea tho....all we get on sites is trades asking for a scaffold because they are not allowed to work off a ladder, so what do we now have to do...work off a ladder.....what's 10 inches long and hangs infront of a ****....a safety officers tie

Just had a bit of an idea...what about when u have based out a job, surround the scaffold with them "bags" that roofers and other trades use in case u fall...not sure how high ur allowed to fall for them bags NOT to work but it would work a treat on the jobs were on...nothing higher than 3 lifts and timber frame so could put bags in the middle and around the scaffold ??...the roofers use them on our site when there putting the trusses on...they fill the top floor of the house up so if they fall off the trusses they land on the bags...suppose it's a cheaper alternative to a birdcage / crashdeck..any thoughts ??

The idea of the step is so that you can comply to regulation as to what is reasonable as practicably , The step was 1st introduced some 6 years ago in order to help the scaffolder`s and companies comply to the safe working at heights.

Although alot of guys do not like the new systems the fact is it is here to stop, everything moves forward and things change in every occupation at some point.

The new guys that come into scaffolding (trainees) will not complain as they do not know any different , it is hard to get used to change but we all i have to accept it at some point . lol
The term is reasonably practicable. You would think a safety officer would know that, even me a lowly scaffolder knows that.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Just had a bit of an idea...what about when u have based out a job, surround the scaffold with them "bags" that roofers and other trades use in case u fall...not sure how high ur allowed to fall for them bags NOT to work but it would work a treat on the jobs were on...nothing higher than 3 lifts and timber frame so could put bags in the middle and around the scaffold ??...the roofers use them on our site when there putting the trusses on...they fill the top floor of the house up so if they fall off the trusses they land on the bags...suppose it's a cheaper alternative to a birdcage / crashdeck..any thoughts ??
Not reasonably practicable, they would only be in the way of the bombing on the strip.

just read outward bounds thread,were in no doubt about change but it seems unanimous that this change isnt for the best,and i agree theres alot of bxxxxxks in ur thread and were all aware of txt book scaffolders running sites but they dont have a clue on the practical side of scaffolding.were does all this new safety come in when ur 400ft up in the air slinging a hanger in and anyone who is familiar with hope valley cement works will know that there is areas on there where good old fashioned brawn an balls is the only way to access these areas so where does advanced handrail come in then and the stupid step anyone gives me a step theres every chance they will wear itGIMMICKS MAKE IDIOTS RICH COMMON SENSE KEEPS US ALIVE

the truth is you do not like the truth - and the truth is even a scaffolder either on a construction or on here should have professional attitude if they want to be taken serious, nothing big or funny about saying things like no **** !!!!

had over 20 years scaffolding experience on all stages.

Just wondering but what is your current job position?

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

not been funny but , it is true what u may say in aspects, but the fact is it is what it is - i was giving my opinion and instead i got a comment saying what a load of b---- etc.

text book or not - you have to work as per the company instructions and giving such a strong opinion to a safety officer face to face can get you thrown off site!! just stating a fact before everyone wants to slag this opinion off .

Fact of life guys

Fact Of Life Is This, Our Industry Is Being Run By People With No Earthly Idea Of How Our Job Is Done, The Regs Are Being Changed On What Seems A Weekly Basis, Harnesses,Glasses,Step(What A Howler That Is) All Being Interpreted By People Who Have Never Picked Up A Double In Their Lives.What Next? When I Started Scaffolding In The 1970s I Dont Remember There Being That Many More Accidents, Or Is That Just Me?

Fact Of Life Is This, Our Industry Is Being Run By People With No Earthly Idea Of How Our Job Is Done, The Regs Are Being Changed On What Seems A Weekly Basis, Harnesses,Glasses,Step(What A Howler That Is) All Being Interpreted By People Who Have Never Picked Up A Double In Their Lives.What Next? When I Started Scaffolding In The 1970s I Dont Remember There Being That Many More Accidents, Or Is That Just Me?

I would think there are more accidents now.

Mainly other trades, mostly roofers off ladders.

I would also say the pressure on all trades to complete on tighter schedules would be a main factor. Never had so many near misses with 21's as I do now! :eek:

What does it matter what position we are...everyone is entitled to an opinion...if they want to improve safety then wouldn't it be best to consult the lads who are actually doin the job day in day out instead of some bright spark who knows fook all...if ur heating breaks down do u ask a roofer to sort it out (safely)...if ur lights won't work do u ask a plumber to sort it out (safely) so why if u want a scaffold putting up (safely) they get Tom, **** or Harry to come up with an idea that beggars belief

Outward Bound.
Quote. Giving such a strong opinion to a safety officer face to face can get you thrown off site.

Its just as well this site is not run by the safety police then, or we would'nd be allowed to have an opinion.

Why are most safety people involved with scaffolding not from a scaffolding back ground , surely this would make there understanding of the job a lot easier when it comes to dealing with scaffolders on site, and they would be in a better position to come up with alternative solutions then someone whose trade was a chippy .

More than likely they all fell off before they got their two day inspection ticket!!!
:nuts:

Just a thought on AGR systems as the purpose is to prevent a fall. How about bracing the end standards in opposite directions and attaching a device something similar to a ratchet strap to the 2 standards and tighten it up, it could be in a reel for easy handling from lift to lift, Dont see how it could'nt work, anyone got any thoughts on it as a solution.

We did a job about 8 years ago on a steel framed building. The safety officer let us do this with a ratchet strap tied to the steel columns. His only stipulation was that he wanted the strap to have a 2 ton breaking strain.

It worked very well

the scaff step is an accident waiting to happen. i would like to see a safety man try and top out on one off these. if u lose ur balence u dont have a lot of room to rectify this problem. so u ether lose the tube or fall in a high street enviroment this could be fatal. but if the man says use them use them . but on his shoulders lies the blame.

Top Bottom