Scaffold step

They whont let the other trades work inside on step ladders but its ok for scaffolders to work outside 100ft up in the air on them like ive pointed out to numerus safety men you have to stretch to put the next handrail in and that my freinds goes against manual handaling but gueswhat the safety man didnt have an answer so he didnt whant to know

They whont let the other trades work inside on step ladders but its ok for scaffolders to work outside 100ft up in the air on them like ive pointed out to numerus safety men you have to stretch to put the next handrail in and that my freinds goes against manual handaling but gueswhat the safety man didnt have an answer so he didnt whant to know

They'll just say that you have to use alloy tube for your AGR.

You are not supposed to mix alloy with steel on a structure unless its been designed. So how do you change that alloy tube for a steel one? Or do all scaffold structures become designed ones now.

Ragscaff

You are not supposed to mix alloy with steel on a structure unless its been designed. So how do you change that alloy tube for a steel one? Or do all scaffold structures become designed ones now.

Ragscaff

I don't think that is true with non-structural elements such as guardrails.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, as I don't actually know for sure.

Not 100% myself just something I have always been told.

Think part of it is on a site you may be tempted to use one as a ledger if thats all you got left?

Ragscaff

Not 100% myself just something I have always been told.

Think part of it is on a site you may be tempted to use one as a ledger if thats all you got left?

Ragscaff

Well of course there are many temptations and opportunities for scaffolders to cut corners.

That is probably one of the reasons why scaffolding is so over-engineered in the UK.

They'll just say that you have to use alloy tube for your AGR.

they always have clever answers for there shooting from the hip aproach to safety (eg every one else is using then so we should ) but whats safe about the 5ft 2inch scaffolder standing on tipee toe wether he is using alloy or steel half the time the main contractor is telling experianced scaffolding companys how to put scaffolding up and lets face it half the fu^ers who run the sites would strugle to get a job fliping burgers so is it about time the scaffolding companys got some back bone and actually put there foot down and try to educate them because ime really geting tired of trying to explain something to a site agent and his reply being its company policy the nurembergh trials proved that following orders is not a defence thank for listening thats my rant over for this month good night

That was the problem with the little SG books going out to all & sundry. Should have put more time into working to SG4 05 before changing the goal post.

Its reckoned not even 20% of companies were working to SG4 05!

I see a few scaffs losing their front teeth with this front lanyard system...

And Safety Officers,Site Agents,Supervisors, The List could go on and on.Had a look at one of these steps,BIGGEST LOAD OF BOXXXXKS i seen in 40 years.

scaffstep

Ragscaff

After you fix your first section of hand rail you fix an alloy 2o to two standards,above the handrail,then slide it through.You can then go out on the lift and fix your permanent handrail +carry on along the lift.

Not on the sites I am working on. Have fixed sliding rail on like that from the ladder gap for ages now. Have a method statement setting it all out. But we have to use the step up to fix all the handrails. Not allowed to use that method!!

Un-even ground we have to put a kicker in & fully board!

Nightmare! Takes a lot longer but that is the way the customer wants it so thats the way we do it :unsure:

Ragscaff

And Safety Officers,Site Agents,Supervisors, The List could go on and on.Had a look at one of these steps,BIGGEST LOAD OF BOXXXXKS i seen in 40 years.
bob you whant to try using them with the g.k.n double enders (bones) because the tranny is already in it cuts the step in half and you are usually left standing on one legg its even worse when your a larger chap like myself:)

scaffstep

Not on the sites I am working on. Have fixed sliding rail on like that from the ladder gap for ages now. Have a method statement setting it all out. But we have to use the step up to fix all the handrails. Not allowed to use that method!!

Un-even ground we have to put a kicker in & fully board!

Nightmare! Takes a lot longer but that is the way the customer wants it so thats the way we do it :unsure:

Ragscaff
we use scaffstep but the alloy tube A.V.G. is always an option and is still in the SG:4 10 regs .

I know that is the part we got involved in from my HSE meetings.

I'm 90% sure the rule for mixing alloy and galvy is you can put alloy on top of galvy but not other way round, for example do 2 lifts of a tower in galvy then the 3rd all in alloy. As long as you don't mix it together.

Scaff steps are dangerous. On site we're putting up 10 ft lifts for the formwork so to put the handrail up you have to use them off the dummy lift???!!!! The mong job of a site agent is happy with that, so i told him to get on it and use it!! funny enough he declined!!! Now i've got a running line. Nice one boll***chops.

They are all good at telling the scaffs how to work,but very few have the knowledge of scaffolding to be competent in thier instructions

Worked with open edge for over 30 years without ever falling off,then again our minds were on the job,not under the influence of drink or drugs or too busy texting to keep safe

Just a thought on AGR systems as the purpose is to prevent a fall. How about bracing the end standards in opposite directions and attaching a device something similar to a ratchet strap to the 2 standards and tighten it up, it could be in a reel for easy handling from lift to lift, Dont see how it could'nt work, anyone got any thoughts on it as a solution.

Just a thought on AGR systems as the purpose is to prevent a fall. How about bracing the end standards in opposite directions and attaching a device something similar to a ratchet strap to the 2 standards and tighten it up, it could be in a reel for easy handling from lift to lift, Dont see how it could'nt work, anyone got any thoughts on it as a solution.

Need more info mate, heed a bit fuzzy, getting fuzzier by the minute, Apologise, for being a tad behind, when i can see the full picture, and comphrehend your idea, i will respond mate.

Top Bottom