Scaffold step

gmanscaff

Reaction score
Hello fellas, I write this pondering a change of career cryng into my beer....I've just been given the "step" and used it for the first time 2day...I have to say it's the biggest pile of **** I've ever seen in my whole sporting career. If anybody meets the retarded **** dog who made and implemented this idea, please give him a hiding with his own wallet as presumably it's now like a telephone directory...I feel like my job / career has just gone up in flames. Now I'm open to new saftey measures ideas but this thing is sumat else..what are your thoughts fellas ???
P.s. Are u supose to have training with it or is " clip it on ur hrail to put the above hrail in first " from ur supervisor sufficient. Confused, bewildered, sad and amazed :-(

Just taken on a contract where the customer insists we use it. Site, un-even ground so we have to build kicker lifts on the base & step up on the second.

Yes you should have training for them.

I know I have put the scaff step down over the last fwe weeks, but now after using them I find they are as bad as I thought. Crazy idea!!

Thats the way the industry has been led!:cry:

Ragscaff

The step-up device is a step system designed to provide the scaffolder with fall protection from the ledger above the place of work while installing the handrail for the next lift. This means that the scaffolder can erect and dismantle the scaffold safely while being protected by a guardrail which itself becomes part of the finished scaffold structure.

The step-up system is generally used in pairs with two employees working together

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

“SG4:05 Appendix A Interim Guidance on Collective Fall Prevention Systems in
Scaffolding” has been created to provide the industry with information on new and
developing technology available to ensure that all fall prevention methods are considered
before solely relying on personal fall arrest methods e.g. Harness & Lanyard.
This is becoming ever more important to keep our industry safe and has led to the HSE
stating that aspects of “Traversing” or “Tunnelling” contained within NASC Guidance are
no longer acceptable and that their withdrawal from industry guidance will be requested
at the next update.
The Hierarchy of Controls says that where it is reasonably practicable precautions must
be taken to prevent a fall. In order the Scaffolder must consider, 1). Is it possible to avoid
working at height? 2). Can work equipment be used where working at height cannot be
avoided? (Advanced Guardrail or Step-Up) 3). Can work equipment or other measure
mitigate the distance and consequence of a fall? 4). Only once all of the above questions
have been reviewed can an operative continue to work

what with your travelling gmanscaff your not haveing a good week mate good job the suns shinning you tried the disco step my daughter loves it lol!!!

I know Dico I must of been a ******* in a previous life...laughing otherwise mite cry

I know where your coming from pal we had them with Lyndons tryed them once and put them back in the van, felt like we were working against ourselves, handrail, ledger, handrail then tranny and boardout, its like drinking your next pint before you finish the one you got, just not right buddy

I know exactly what u mean ragscaff were on a building site doin loads of timber frames..we get 2 and half days 2 erect a plot (2 men). They have just insisted we start using them and not being pesimistic but I really can't c us doin it in 5 days now...were the same with all the uneven ground...we used it for half a day 2day then it got flung next to the fitting bins...we have instead put a dummy lift in and I would like to know if this wud be accepted as a safe working practice...so use the step to run hrail in on first lift then get up and put ledger in then tranny out top hrail and board out get up and put hrail in again thus having ledger as hrail while on dummy lift. Then drop back down strike dummy lift and then fill in lift with braces and trannys and board out. ( hrail will now be in up above). It sounds long winded but it defo worked faster for us and I still felt like a Scaff as opposed to a gnome stood on a step ladder..I felt like Peter crouch !!

What I am going to try & do on the base is once I have a square up braced & one tranny is put a 5ft on doubles on each standard then get a younmans dropped off & place that on it. Be able to fly that in & out pretty quick & the legers will be the handrail whilst fixing the first lift handrail!!

If you are doing timber frame you would have dog legged braces giving you a brace every standard. You would have to put the outward ones in after the advanced rail + you must be putting an handrail inside & out. Nightmare!!

Trying to work out how to use them putting stairs up with stair treads:eek:

Ragscaff

Only got braces every other pair of standards mate, but yeh double hrail inside and out..a nightmare is an understatement :)

Alrite fellas, just had a bit of a thought...wonder if we cud get away wiv 1 or 2 - 4 ft boards thrown on the hrail as opposed to the step or a dummy lift..but easier to handle and less time than a dummy lift..apparently u have to have short lanyard on front of harness for while ur on step..this cud still be used on short boards..( obviously this only helps if ur having to put inside hrail in) 90% of my work at mo

minimum of 4 boards per 1.3 metre bay plus a single guard rail cape r the worst, hooked on until the last toeboard is on safety guy pulled me for having 1 ft off the ground throwing a tranny over a ledger wots it comeing too:wacko:

Alrite fellas, just had a bit of a thought...wonder if we cud get away wiv 1 or 2 - 4 ft boards thrown on the hrail as opposed to the step or a dummy lift..but easier to handle and less time than a dummy lift..apparently u have to have short lanyard on front of harness for while ur on step..this cud still be used on short boards..( obviously this only helps if ur having to put inside hrail in) 90% of my work at mo

That could work, but as you said you'd need an inside guardrail & also a double guardrail to be able to climb up on the boards safely - So no good on dummy or unboarded lifts.

I don't think it would save you any time mate and would be hard to justify as a SSOW.

You would probably get away it if you used a short ladder clipped to the guardrail to access the boards.

When I Subbied To Interserve We Had To Buy The Ruddy Things, The Way Ahead Yeah Right,(It Sits In My Garage Along With Other Scrap Metal) Useless Piece Of Crap,Yet Another Piss Poor Device To Screw Up Our Lives (Oh A Little Poem There Lol)

Just spoke to my dad up north and the "step" they have been given clips into the hrail but only at a standard as it has a cantilever type bracket on it that goes down to the standard..sort of like a big cuplock cantilever bracket..they step up on to the platform from the lift..there's no steps....so I don't c there is a need for a ladder upto the boards..I reckon 2 x 4 ft boards thrown across inside and outside hrail..then clip on with short front lanyard...obviously doesn't work if no inside hrail

Just spoke to my dad up north and the "step" they have been given clips into the hrail but only at a standard as it has a cantilever type bracket on it that goes down to the standard..sort of like a big cuplock cantilever bracket..they step up on to the platform from the lift..there's no steps....so I don't c there is a need for a ladder upto the boards..I reckon 2 x 4 ft boards thrown across inside and outside hrail..then clip on with short front lanyard...obviously doesn't work if no inside hrail

That's the MK1 safety step. Not much good on towers or external returns.

That's the MK1 safety step. Not much good on towers or external returns.
Your amazing Phil, you've gone from band and plates to Mk 1 steps, what would the forum do without you ? do you have any other tips ?

Your amazing Phil, you've gone from band and plates to Mk 1 steps, what would the forum do without you ? do you have any other tips ?

Yeah, be nice to your mum and don't eat yellow snow...

The short front lanyard causes enough problems of it's own.
It's gonna take a few injuries before they realise this step just wasn't a clever idea once put into practice, and they are definitely coming. Had a few near misses so far

Top Bottom