R.i.p sgb

sprint was crap lol,wernt long in punting it to hongkong.nobody and a mean nobody wanted to go demonstrate it,your quite right mate major cockup.done most things right though.

Used it in Berlin for their sister German company OGB but it was hard to handle compared to the existing German frame systems.
Got a call to go to UK to demonstrate Sprint down south and they wanted it put up on a bay fronted georgian building.....hilarious

Totally agree , sprint and cuplok 2000 were absolute nonesence . Like a lot of guys I learned a lot from sgb so still sad to see them gone .
The fact the yanks have taken over is worrying and if I was an employee I would be making alternative plans , if they cannot pay their investers a dividend after 12 months the meat cleaver comes out and thats the way it is another piece of Britain gone .

yea mate there are many managers who have had enough,many have left for better things,many are on the brink.its created a experiance drain they are certinly nowhere near the outfit they were,as yous have mentioned to many hairbrained schemes ie sprint cuplock3000.

sprint! was one off the first lads with sgb who used the crap. nightmare to put up n nightmare tae bring doon

sniper you and scott hunter methinks were the first to have the privilage lol.didnt mr bobby gow smash the original sprint hoist????into a railway bridge lol happy days.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

yea scaffarobbo the decks would jam if there were stones or grit nightmare.

Remember reading somewhere sgb were the originators of steel scaffolding, and the b/p was the origional fitting. Anyone remember a system sgb brought out prior to cuplok called anglok. They marketed it as the 1'st british made all metric scaffolding, conforming to b.s.1139/1964. Tightened ledger an transom same as cuplok, but with a podger. Have an old brochure on it, there's a good estimating table in it can be used for cuplok as ledgers, transoms, standards are same sizes.

Showing my age here but I used it . Was alright if new , very much like cuplock but if the screws on the standards seized up you stuck the transom and the ledger in and hoped it didn`t pop out .You could only do buttresses the width of transoms due to only two locating lugs . Ah the memories .

My oldman use to work for SGB back in the late 60's early 70's when they had a yard in Bournemouth, I think he did his advanced card with them too, he still has it! Looked like a right hippie back then:D

My oldman use to work for SGB back in the late 60's early 70's when they had a yard in Bournemouth, I think he did his advanced card with them too, he still has it! Looked like a right hippie back then:D

bet he has a right old laugh on todays issues regfenster!!!!

bet he has a right old laugh on todays issues regfenster!!!!

LOL...errrr...no, In context he'd learn't his trade from scaffs with 30/40 years experience, scaffs that would have been on the tools in the 40's and 1950's, maybe even earlier, there is a pathe video from the late 60's of Michham citb training centre i believe this where he did his courses, I showed him this the other day on this site, his exact words were" thats how you erect a scaffold, max 2 boards, no tunneling ect, fcuk harnesses etc".

I suppose a leopard never changes its spots, and nor does an old scaff!
T0 be fair to him mind he does know his job, and can can up with some genius solutions with tube and fitting, the sort of knowledge that probably isn't taught today but passed down through generations of scaffs.

earnt some good money on sgb on the power industry was only young wallet full of cash
25 pound house keeping dad called me champagne charlie shame it never lasts lol!!!

Started with SGB from the Army at Mitcham as Supervisor but Went on OJT for the experiance Started in the yard then on the wagon deliverin. got in with a gang as a labrador and worked up and got my advanced years later(Thats what your thumbs are for) Going to be me signature if i can put it on. lol
Gave a job to advanced last week gave him B+P didnt know how to pick a 21 and b+p and put it on a standard
paid him 8 and didnt see him again

sadly andy the b+p is becoming one of those components that young guys ask me what is that for,i just tell them the truth,that its the greatest fitting ever produced.sgb seem to be crashing into the power station sector in a big way of late.

you just dont see many bp or dh about , when i done my ticket back in 97 we had to use these and was given product familiarity , most our guys cant use them or mills 90s

you just dont see many bp or dh about , when i done my ticket back in 97 we had to use these and was given product familiarity , most our guys cant use them or mills 90s
My opinion of the b'p with working thumbscrew best an fastest fitting ever. Agree young scaffs dont like them, but it's not their fault as they have'nt been reared with them so to speak. Mills 90 great fitting, but as before you have to be used to them.

true brandy,but why has the b+pjust seemed to have vanished.there isnt a fitting like it so it hasnt been replaced or became obselete me personaly i belive its the cost of them compared to the double,mills 90 super fitting too.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

ps do you remember the bit that slipped inside to prevent slippage the chair they called it.

i got a couple of old chairs for paper weights celticboy most young scaffolders wouldnt have a clue what it is for mate :)

probably the only fitting that you can do up with the standard against the wall never seemed to find one with a button they always seemed to be missing.

quality phil keep a hold of them,not seen one in near 25year.mind we boxed the set and put the chairs with em memories lol.

Top Bottom