Question

Was taught on my course & by every other Scaff I've worked with, first brace always in as it pulls the structure into the building.

Ya.
Unless you want your Scaffold to look like this: :eek:

scaffolding-collapsed-on-shields-road-byker-447111819.jpg

I think Essex put that one up. :laugh:

Why would you want to pull an independent scaffold into the building?

You would find it hard to brace out on the first lift of a putlog scaffold.

Not really... not if you want your job to look like this 'fine specimen'. ;)

images

Fukk striking that, eh!

That looks as if the braces are going in on the 1st lift:laugh::eek::eek:

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Am I the only one on this thread that understands the definition of "Independent"?

Not so the independent is into the building. Been taught that by bracing towards the building the initial bias of the structure is leaning towards the building in the first instance.

That looks as if the braces are going in on the 1st lift:laugh::eek::eek:

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Am I the only one on this thread that understands the definition of "Independent"?

Independent: (pro. In~deep~pend~ent)

Scaffolding that is cantilevered off the edge of a building and dropped down the face and hung/left hanging of said building for repair works and replacement of windows.
Usually built up high and hung down from the top, as when there is no safe place below to build a 'Structure Scaffold', which is the most common type of Scaffolding built, usually from the ground and that has braces that face outwards, even on the base lift.

Am i right? ;)

Imagine a tower erected in the middle of an empty car park. What difference does it make if the 1st lift of ledger bracing points North, South, East or West?

Now imagine the same tower erected next to a glass, limestone or marble clad building. Why would you prefer the ledger bracing going inwards?

My scaffolds don't move do yours?

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Independent: (pro. In~deep~pend~ent)

Scaffolding that is cantilevered off the edge of a building and dropped down the face and hung/left hanging of said building for repair works and replacement of windows.
Usually built up high and hung down from the top, as when there is no safe place below to build a 'Structure Scaffold', which is the most common type of Scaffolding built, usually from the ground and that has braces that face outwards, even on the base lift.

Am i right? ;)

No

Brace in base, out every lift on any independent scaffold unless there is good reason not to....when levelling outside standard with brace you are able to force the transom into the wall giving a more solid frame when levelling back inside.....obviously if its free standing or up against a glass building you would adapt to suit....

If you are forcing the transoms into the wall of the building then it's not really that independent is it?

I am talking about independent scaffolds against the facade of a building as the vast majority are. How u put your scaffold up is up to you but if im putting up 1000 square of "independent" around a block of flats im bracing out and butting the wall where possible when running the lifts in.....

That reminds me of the old days:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Had to get this one out there or I wouldnt have been able to sleep (sad c##t or what)
Anyways I've seen this been done both ways and was wondering if there is an official correct way or if it doesn't realy matter.

When you have based out and the first lift is a working lift would you put your dogleg braces facing in or out? I've been taught and always done mine facing in (and all the other lifts facing out) because I like to think they act as a mini buttress (exept on loading bays) I've worked at a company recently and the lads always put them facing out no matter what lift it was.

Cheers.

It doesn't really matter Gaz

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Just don't trip over the braces.

Brace in base, out every lift on any independent scaffold unless there is good reason not to....when levelling outside standard with brace you are able to force the transom into the wall giving a more solid frame when levelling back inside.....obviously if its free standing or up against a glass building you would adapt to suit....

100% agree on this Vertigo

Top Bottom