Part 2 Not allowed to do Pull test !

haha, it is to us. Could you run it past us again, what kind of plate is drilled next to the tie?

Is it me being stupid here or what.is testing the tie sideways on not a shear test.

A shear test would test the bolt to destruction,i,e shearing,i would imagine this to be done under controlled conditions,i may be wrong allan,but this was'nt covered in my training:unsure:

RWell im possibly wrong calling it a shear test but i was first shown how to test a tie sideways on a good few year ago.maybe u and fatfish are a bit clueless alistair.iv probably got a picturr of it being done on my old phone.sorry but it wont be black n white or brail

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

So is it not a shear test pulling sideways on

thats ok if colour is all you have it will need to do.;)

I have always thought sheer was more up and down, can side movement not be reduced using tube?

got told now good practise is to leave your tying tube through the hilti bolt with a gap of at least 6 inces on the top to allow for the scaff settling into soft ground,putting pressure on the hilti ring and then shearing it off!

Great post.
So a part two should not be shown how to pull test or indeed pull test but, a supervisor (that doesn't need any industry experience to do a supervisor course )can ?.
Lets look at the real world of scaffolding, there are a lot maybe hundreds of scaffolding firms in the UK that only scaffold houses and the like that would not even know what a pull testing machine is !
The system is at the moment stupid, the nasc have a members only section that only let their members see.
So how does the average scaffolder/scaffolding company get the up to date info?
Have a look at the sticky at the top "Nasc infringement", so nasc information can not be shared but then how does every scaffolder get up to date info without paying a load of money.
The scaffolders forum lets members give each other advise but we cant pass nasc copyrighted info between us in-case it helps save a life, etc-crazy.
Have a look at the cisrs site and all you will get is info about where you can spend money on courses.
I started my site to share info and after reading this post ill be sharing a lot more !(as long as there is no legal imprecations lol)

Max, I share your sentiment and enjoy your site. My only problem is you get nothing in this life for nothing. these guidance notes are paid for by me and my like why should others get them for free?

I know this will put the cat amongst the pigeons but what else do you get worth having in this life for nothing?

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

This might help though.

the Construction Fixings Association

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Is it me being stupid here or what.is testing the tie sideways on not a shear test.

This is what the fixings association say about shear Alan.

Shear
In calculating the applied shear load the possibility of shear loads from two sources must be considered i.e. horizontal loads in the
lateral direction and vertical loads. Where this is the case they should be combined to give one resultant shear load and this used
in the selection process.
Recommended shear loads are published by the manufacturers for most anchors in concrete but few quote values in other
materials. Shear testing on site is possible but generally impractical. For significant shear loads into materials other than concrete
refer to the manufacturer.

some things are too important though aom,thats why nasc shouldnt be so closely tied to the hse,it privatises knowledge and safety !

I realise that Joe but surely we have all been round long enough to realise there is a cost to everything. Why should I be a paying member if all the information was coming at me for free? The information is there, just at a cost as it is to the members.

would you not tell a bloke to walk on a trap end if he didnt pay you for the answer,,,,,,,,cheap question and loaded i know but the point is not only are some of these things of extreme importance,they are deemed so crucial blokes can get prison for not doing them if an accident happens,so it begs the question what kind of organisation would do that and put peoples lives so blatantly on the line,or blackmail blokes for the knowledge !

You can't hold them responsible for all safety on all sites. If it's that important it's worth the price of a night out to get a few guidance notes.

Aom.
I disagree completey, the guideness notes etc are for the good of both scaffolders and scaffolding contractors alike, so what your saying is that a man cannot learn how to work safely because he has not paid?. This is where I'm afraid the world is falling on its ars*. just because one company has paid and another has not does not mean that they get the latest info. Big picture is that the nasc get money from every cisrs course that runs, so just by going on your part 1 part 2 you have contributed to the system, so shouldn't that give the right to every scaffolder that has put their hand in their pocket the right to the latest info ?
Have a look on you tube and you will find every scaffolding safety firm advertising their selfs by showing you the latest guidance, so why is it the nasc cannot just put all the info on one site for free if it helps save a life ?.
Aom with most respect to you being part of the nasc is like a full member of the caravan club saying i paid so i want that green grass and fcuk the non member he can have the bit of dirt over there. In reality all scaffolders and scaffolding company's should be one big unit when it comes to the welfare of men and ensuring that they go home at the end of the day.
PS thanks for nice comments about www.thescaffolder.com

but why though,nasc is a parasitic entity creating issues,safety scaremongering in order to justify its own existence,i genuinely believe their should be a body to represent the industry and i do believe you have joined and our a member with the best of intentions but

who convinced you that the right thing to do was to pay for info on safety which some of the time is not the govn safety advice but the private company that works for its own interests,

your a quandry for me mate,you seem like a bloke who respects the guys that works for him,takes pride in your jobs,and is open to change and new policies and regs

why the fook cant you see nasc for the great satanic donkey fuker it really is lol :D

i had to spoil it ;)

No problem Max and you are welcome, but for the price of a pint you can get a guidance note and it's your attitude I think that puts this country on it's erse. Any gaffer will tell you there is no one going to spoon feed you, you have to pay your way.

Nasc are like a masons club. Write the rules blackballing crtiical information to non members. In hand with the hse. Prix.

Top Bottom