Kick a dog too many times and it'll Bite ya...

I hear ya David...Point taken one bad apple and all that....You sound like an old hand and I do agree that not all safety men are the same...Just the goons I seem to encounter...Maybe a man bag for his clip board will help with the 3 points of contact...

Got a call the other day from HSE..."can you come out to site we have a situation we need to discuss" so i got in me helicoptor and flew out there..HSE "I can see voids under this sole board" me "Its on hardcore" HSE "so what are you going to do about it" "Me Are you having a laugh"? HSE "NO" ME Kicks a bit of hardcore around soul board. Site agent...Red Face...HSE "What can we do to make sure this don't happen again"? ME "Whatever"......

Now you get an idea what Im'e blabbing on about....I could write a bleedin book....
Its agood job your not toiling in the Nuclear industry pal, the clients safety man (ex school teacher with a Health & Safety Masters Degree wants 2 eradicate the small gaps 3 to 15mm between boards on working lifts and we try not to laugh, but the reality is people with no work @ heights experiance have alot of influence and opinion that ultimately has a great effect on domestic company owners, But it's unlike my industry where the client drives these campaings and always pays for them (day work). So the Scaffolding companies (cape, hertel, sgb, embrace and take the money!

So

cape. hertel.sgb,rainhams tones lyndons cnd and how every else likes scaffolding hate these regs but it gives them work there hands are tied dave like i said you wont win keep takeing the money lifes too short!!!

Dave
I agree on some of your points, however, a degree in SHE, is a generalisation, to me, and i may add the concensus of the SF and definetley the SCCR, is a prior scaffolding operative, is the choice, to inspect,inform and educate, in any areas regarding the erection of a Scaffold structure.

Horses for courses.

So its a win win situation for the scaffolding co...But how you gonna get rid of gaps in the boards without ply sheeting the whole lift? I always thought the gaps in boards were beneficial when it comes to letting water drain off the working lift. My point is that there are no absolute clear set rules on what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to H&S. I worked the stations for cape when I was a younger man About 91-92 and that year alone 5 men got killed on cape and 1 in the boiler for sgb.I saw a real weakness in the HSE when we were interviewed they came down to our level and admitted that there was not a lot they could do to stop these accidents because of the nature of the work and the environment.That was before the days of the harness...The debate will go on from all points of view...

So its a win win situation for the scaffolding co...But how you gonna get rid of gaps in the boards without ply sheeting the whole lift? I always thought the gaps in boards were beneficial when it comes to letting water drain off the working lift. My point is that there are no absolute clear set rules on what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to H&S. I worked the stations for cape when I was a younger man About 91-92 and that year alone 5 men got killed on cape and 1 in the boiler for sgb.I saw a real weakness in the HSE when we were interviewed they came down to our level and admitted that there was not a lot they could do to stop these accidents because of the nature of the work and the environment.That was before the days of the harness...The debate will go on from all points of view...

rip charlie waltham

totally agree with you Paddy, & am bright enough to known that Safety & Quality departments were only created becuase of other peoples F**K ups. you do need broad shoulders to convert and take the knockbacks,However thats why a lot of Scaffs like myself are crossing over and trying, to impose our Knowledge / views on site inspections & w@height risk assessments etc. and subjects that anyone other that a Scaffolder, would not have a clue, never mind an opinion about!

Is it true that you can not top out with any more than an 8ft tube on a scaff step? if so please send me the technical info as we are trying to do away with them on our site,

We is my self and an ex welder, safety man, cape are doing 1 meter lifts which we champion, the steps on borrowed time! info Please!

I am very interested in your last post David, i will not reply at this minute, as i have had a canny swally. However, tomorrow, i will contact my Chairmain and fellow committee members of the SCCR, and have a deliberation on some of your current realisations.

totally agree with you Paddy, & am bright enough to known that Safety & Quality departments were only created becuase of other peoples F**K ups. you do need broad shoulders to convert and take the knockbacks,However thats why a lot of Scaffs like myself are crossing over and trying, to impose our Knowledge / views on site inspections & w@height risk assessments etc. and subjects that anyone other that a Scaffolder, would not have a clue, never mind an opinion about!

Is it true that you can not top out with any more than an 8ft tube on a scaff step? if so please send me the technical info as we are trying to do away with them on our site,

We is my self and an ex welder, safety man, cape are doing 1 meter lifts which we champion, the steps on borrowed time! info Please!

dave are you in the indusry for the easy money or do you think the scaffold industry has gone bloody stupid i know you wont answer but what a shambles mate!! i thought you weilders were fussey with your lifts hights but bloody hell you safety blokes must be on a bonus every week!!!

Dico i am a scaff 17 years ex, havent got an NVQ cos i did my part 1 & 2 before 1996.

I have been in the safety (fun police) game for 3 years, but took some time on the pat & mick (staff, sick) & paid 2 do my advanced course 2010 on the quiet before Xmas sho) only problem is how do i get my evidence??? am sure al sort it? couple of mates have set up?

What concerned me was that going by the photos of the CISRS center, Young lads through NEPOTISM are going from trainee to Adavanced in 3 Years it took me 17 and 3 off them as the fun police.

HSE guidelines regarding steps quotes not carrying more than 10kg, when I was at the last collective fall prevention seminar when the HSE was present 21ft handrails were being put in off the step??????. You shouldn't be topping out off the step full stop. Much prefer to see the B-Safe piece of kit being used:D

Dave that is and has been a big bone of contention for a good while how can someone become an advanced scaffolder without any experience in such a short time while good lads with ECITB tickets are thrown on the scrap heap or made to start their training from the start again

HSE guidelines regarding steps quotes not carrying more than 10kg, when I was at the last collective fall prevention seminar when the HSE was present 21ft handrails were being put in off the step??????. You shouldn't be topping out off the step full stop. Much prefer to see the B-Safe piece of kit being used:D
oh please stop...now youre saying a man can't top a poxy 8 foot off a step...a good scaff knows his capability...8 foot?????

No i'm not saying, the powers that be are saying. If you don't know the guidelines I'd suggest you employ someone that does

No i'm not saying, the powers that be are saying. If you don't know the guidelines I'd suggest you employ someone that does
Is a guidline law?...This is my whole point Tell us what it is we MUST do to stay inside the law...simple or NOT...

the industry's training establishment CISRS are fastracking young men from trainee 2 advanced scaff in 3 years ( in the good old days the boy would av made tea & went 2 the shop for the first 2 years, now the grant scheme expects the company to produce a well oiled in Scaff 5 mins (big joke, surely ECITB experienced mens & granfather rights should take comparison & be on the agenda ,with what CISRS are activly promoting in young inexperienced Scaffolding industry's new recruits?

A lot of good points well made boys but the biggest shock of the night award has to go to Mr Paddy Carr for sharing the fact he has a tie.:eek::love::suspicious::D

Dico me old mate, having come up through the ranks the safety industry is a harder game than the scaffin industry. theres no camradorie in the safety game, as a scaff you are often refered to as a number, as a safety man you are only employed there cos of legistlation not as a company requirement. we as a department are there to blame, or clean the mess up off the inept construction dept.

---------- Post added 16th January 2011 at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 15th January 2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

Dico having been off the spanners for 3 year apart from the advanced course dec (2010)

I observe all these new collective protection measures, and i must say if i was to don the guns and try to errect a scaffolds i would no dought get reprimanded? wot got me thinking while observing the lads was that you had to plan the stripping process of a job prior to erecting the job, to comply with sg4 appendix a, now SG410 as landed, the only way big firms on Nuclear sites can comply is by erecting 1 meter lifts so the scaffs have got permanent edge protection.

I relise you boys on the streets wont have the same opinion!

Top Bottom