Is there a purpose to 3 (yes 3) check/supplementary fittings?

The good thing about your posts Alan is they are backed up with a bit of experience and knowledge. I know they are load bearing but I also remember the furore when they were suspect especially the centre pin and to be honest I just couldn't remember what the outcome was. I posted my ramblings about my thoughts but my memory is like a sieve, my knowledge base is as restrictive as TG:20 and couldn't back up my concerns about the swivel with anything more than a vague distant memory and Frederik let me ave it.:embarrest:

The good thing about your posts Alan is they are backed up with a bit of experience and knowledge. I know they are load bearing but I also remember the furore when they were suspect especially the centre pin and to be honest I just couldn't remember what the outcome was. I posted my ramblings about my thoughts but my memory is like a sieve, my knowledge base is as restrictive as TG:20 and couldn't back up my concerns about the swivel with anything more than a vague distant memory and Frederik let me ave it.:embarrest:

Bless I remember when my Gran got like that:blink1:

Alan what would be the furthest span you could achieve with a pitched roof with tin sheets
and 450 beams ?

haha, this will be good.:laugh:

Be prepared Phil for a barrage of options.;)

haha, you can kid on the contractors but..................:laugh:

Alan what would be the furthest span you could achieve with a pitched roof with tin sheets
and 450 beams ?

The question is easier than the answer!!
There are lots of unknowns here but.......................
As a simple apex or mono pitch it would not be far.
The condition oftern missed with an apex roof is the horizontal force created by an apex roof.
The roof provider will assume you support scaffolds to be rigid, they are not. The larger the flyer above the last tie the worse the condition.
(I believe there may be Engineers who ignore this or overcome the issue by misapplying the forces when calculating the roof span.)

Apex roofs should have a bottom tie between the springing points of the roof (the same as your house roof)

I did one very low level 30m span by fixing the truss ends to concrete blocks.

I would guess SP would be able to work something out for you with more data.
regards
Alan

Thanks Alan i should know better then to ask how long is a piece string,
makes sense that the bottom of the truss would need to be tied to each end as the weight from the ridge is pushing down and out.

I think what i was trying to ask was can you achieve much bigger spans with a pitched roof as opposed to a non pitched in general

Thanks Alan i should know better then to ask how long is a piece string,
makes sense that the bottom of the truss would need to be tied to each end as the weight from the ridge is pushing down and out.

I think what i was trying to ask was can you achieve much bigger spans with a pitched roof as opposed to a non pitched in general

Hi Phil
yes larger spans my be achieved using an Apex system.
with the right system and system of work your guys should never have to work in an exposed area again.
I have done 44m clear span rolling roofs with an apex system where not one man worked anywhere other than on a boarded scaffold from the ground. There may even be pictures on some of my albums.
regards
Alan

Both TG14:03 is somewhat out of date as ir refers to an obsolete BS number (1139)

TG17:03 refers fo EN74, the new standard for fittings, but does not refer to EN 12811-2 which covers the configuration of the scaffolding equipment.

All references to BS5973 should be disregarded as as far back as 1993 (almost 20 years ago) the British Standard authorities acknowledged (see TG17:03) that it was obsolete.

As to the original question, I would say there is a substantial over design.

Dennis "As to the original question, I would say there is a substantial over design."

Agree fully with you mate, As a part of my Inspections I have to state the structure complies with the "drawing's" in all respects.

Many a time the tube/system is so over engineered it makes me cringe :(

Think everyone agrees there. Sad thing is before this we did loading bays which were over engineered as it was, beastly fecking things with 10 standards, 3 aberdeens, 3 rakers, 2 sways..... but 1 Sup fitting was all that was needed :notrust:

Both TG14:03 is somewhat out of date as ir refers to an obsolete BS number (1139)

TG17:03 refers fo EN74, the new standard for fittings, but does not refer to EN 12811-2 which covers the configuration of the scaffolding equipment.

All references to BS5973 should be disregarded as as far back as 1993 (almost 20 years ago) the British Standard authorities acknowledged (see TG17:03) that it was obsolete.

I think TG17 has been updated to 10 now Dennis.

Top Bottom