In Cohoots with each other

When a company or a person within an orginisation has a vested interest in rule making you cannot help but raise an eyebrow . Any industry body setting down guidelines that you and I must abide by must be not for profit . How can we be expected to take these people or orginisations seriously when they profit from it . Dispand the NASC now and have people who represent the leading edge workers , if we make the rules we will surely abide them .
#

Erm...

The NASC do not make the 'rules' as you call them. The guidance produced by the NASC is just that, their interpretation of legislation and is only one way of complying with the law. (Which is primarily the Work at Height Regs 2005 for scaffolding).

There seem to be people on here who are not happy with with the way the industry is going and a massive inference is made with regard to some individuals having a purported vested interest. The Chairman of the NASC's Health & Safety Committee owns his own scaffolding business as do many others who contribute towards interpretation of legislation. These people work closely with the HSE to establish the best methods of complying with legislative requirements. Do they have a vested interest? Not to my mind they don't, but they do play a massively important part in deciding the way their Scaffolders will be required to work. In my eyes, that is not only the best way, it's the only way, those within the industry giving the HSE confidence that the industry can be partly self-governing.

Dispand the NASC? Well that's not gonna happen is it? Why don't you start an alternative? You are very vocal with your criticism and are just the type of personality that is needed to get the 'Peoples' NASC off the ground.

I shall watch with interest.

#

Erm...

The NASC do not make the 'rules' as you call them. The guidance produced by the NASC is just that, their interpretation of legislation and is only one way of complying with the law. (Which is primarily the Work at Height Regs 2005 for scaffolding).

There seem to be people on here who are not happy with with the way the industry is going and a massive inference is made with regard to some individuals having a purported vested interest. The Chairman of the NASC's Health & Safety Committee owns his own scaffolding business as do many others who contribute towards interpretation of legislation. These people work closely with the HSE to establish the best methods of complying with legislative requirements. Do they have a vested interest? Not to my mind they don't, but they do play a massively important part in deciding the way their Scaffolders will be required to work. In my eyes, that is not only the best way, it's the only way, those within the industry giving the HSE confidence that the industry can be partly self-governing.

Dispand the NASC? Well that's not gonna happen is it? Why don't you start an alternative? You are very vocal with your criticism and are just the type of personality that is needed to get the 'Peoples' NASC off the ground.

Dear thefatguy,

I do believe you need to read more of whats on the site!

Start with the SCCR & then have a quick look at the ECITB threads.

We too are meeting with the HSE in regards legislation & guidance.

I do think the current guidance has gone too far & is limiting the way we work which in turn is creating an unsafe working environment

Ragscaff

#

Erm...

Correct me if I'm wrong but Mr Simon Hughes deputy chairman of the NASC safety committee and architect of much anticipated sg:4 10 is also the director of a company which amongst other things has an online store selling a range of products (harnesses , rescue kits etc) all in line with the current sg:4 05 "guidance" . I shall reserve my judgement on "vested interests" until the product range is extended to include step ups and advanced guardrail systems, around the same as the as sg4 10 is finally published.

Wouldn't NASC be a more credible organisation if they actually consulted SCAFFOLDERS before issuing technical and safety "guidance" until this happens they will never be a body that is fully representative of the access industry .

I can come in there, mr James attridge of attridge scaffolding is deputy chairman. No information members can hold office

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

I think the Nasc needs a rival however the Hse just pays lip service to anyone who is not Nasc.

Should be interesting in two weeks when our full committee has its first official meeting with the HSE backed by its own members & the 3000 old on the forum!!

Ragscaff

Should be interesting in two weeks when our full committee has its first official meeting with the HSE backed by its own members & the 3000 old on the forum!!

Ragscaff

I think you should do a poll out of the 3000 odd of how many only have a Ecitb card, it will give you something tangible

I can come in there, mr James attridge of attridge scaffolding is deputy chairman. No information members can hold office

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

I think the Nasc needs a rival however the Hse just pays lip service to anyone who is not Nasc.

On his company website Simon Hughes states the he is deputy chairman of the NASC safety committee :confused:

Dear thefatguy,

I do believe you need to read more of whats on the site!

Start with the SCCR & then have a quick look at the ECITB threads.

We too are meeting with the HSE in regards legislation & guidance.

I do think the current guidance has gone too far & is limiting the way we work which in turn is creating an unsafe working environment

Ragscaff

Ragscaff - I couldn't find the threads you referred to can you link to them please?

#

Erm...

My gripe with the NASC is there seems to be no common sence applied when guidelines ( rules to be followed on most sites ) are laid down . I feel there is no representation of the workforce when guidelines are made . I hope the SCCR can be the voice of reason that I and many others feel is missing .

Ragscaff - I couldn't find the threads you referred to can you link to them please?

thefatguy

On the side of the forum you can see ads etc. Press the one for the SCCR.

ECITB one is the most used go to the bttom of the front page & you will see it.

Ragscaff

Top Bottom