In Cohoots with each other

T.ANIMAL

Reaction score
Hi to all my fellow scaffs and the odd H & S officer.
Is it me missing something here or is it acceptable practice to have people that are of a Health and Safety background running our industry, that have no scaffolding experience what so ever?
Also to have several key committee members of Nasc running there own Cisrs accredited training schools. Between the HSE and Nasc they bring in the new laws, guidances etc, then your required to go on more courses to these training schools at more expense and who's pockets benefits from this?
Ive googled this information so its there for all to see.
Simon Hughes committee member of Nasc and director of Simian Risk training school.
Rick Statham committee member of Nasc and joint director of Safety & Access Nottingham.
Im still researching the other 18 trainning schools to see how many others are out there.
I will say one thing Training 2000 is a registered charity and a non profit organisation.
Then Nasc and Cisrs, i wont go there.
Im informed that no one can open anymore training schools last one being Arrow Training in Doncaster Cisrs accredited that is, would that be because the extra money for training would the flowing river become a trickle to Mr Hughes and Mr Statham.
This is my opinion, does anyone have any of there own:unsure:

Last edited:
Well the health and safety at work act 1974 says an employer needs to provide information, instruction, training and supervision. If you look on the Safety & Access - Training and Health & safety consultancy providers. website at the training courses are there any of the courses listed that you think are not needed. Also Rick statham spent a consireable time with Palmers and sat on the NASC well before joining Safety & Access

Last edited:
very intresting detective work animal,dose seem to look like a carveup my friend.keep us posted on what you ind please mate.

Well the health and safety at work act 1974 says an employer needs to provide information, instruction, training and supervision. If you look on the Safety & Access - Training and Health & safety consultancy providers. website at the training courses are there any of the courses listed that you think are not needed. Also Rick statham spent a consireable time with Palmers and sat on the NASC well before joining Safety & Access

When at Palmers was he Health and Safety or did he ever come up thru the ranks as a scaffolder, my point being our industry is run by Health and Safety Graduates who have never done a days scaffolding in there lives, only last few years have some who are ex scaffolders gone into health and safety but are not in high positions to make a difference in the decision making.

As for Health and Safety at work act 1974, i lost count on the courses that i had with Cape, Manuel Handling, Gin wheel Training, Rescue and Retrieval, Risk Assesments, Scaffold Inspection Course, all ok if your working for the firm still, but not worth a w*nk anywhere else cause they were done internally. But ive still received training as the act states but if its not Cisrs recognised then all my certificates are worthless.
But who runs all these courses at a cost that Nasc implement and who are there directors.

Yes training is needed but do you really need to every 3 years do a Gin Wheel and Ropes, training course, or manuel handling course, its all money going into someones pockets, and why then cant large companys do there own inhouse training and assessment on there employees to show they are competent to scaffold and when they are satisfied,a ticket is issued most belong to Nasc so why cant this be done.

It just smells fishy to me that the people with the power who make laws and rules have a vested interest for financial gain. too many fingers in to many pies.:suspicious:

When at Palmers was he Health and Safety or did he ever come up thru the ranks as a scaffolder, my point being our industry is run by Health and Safety Graduates who have never done a days scaffolding in there lives, only last few years have some who are ex scaffolders gone into health and safety but are not in high positions to make a difference in the decision making.

As for Health and Safety at work act 1974, i lost count on the courses that i had with Cape, Manuel Handling, Gin wheel Training, Rescue and Retrieval, Risk Assesments, Scaffold Inspection Course, all ok if your working for the firm still, but not worth a w*nk anywhere else cause they were done internally. But ive still received training as the act states but if its not Cisrs recognised then all my certificates are worthless.
But who runs all these courses at a cost that Nasc implement and who are there directors.

Yes training is needed but do you really need to every 3 years do a Gin Wheel and Ropes, training course, or manuel handling course, its all money going into someones pockets, and why then cant large companys do there own inhouse training and assessment on there employees to show they are competent to scaffold and when they are satisfied,a ticket is issued most belong to Nasc so why cant this be done.

It just smells fishy to me that the people with the power who make laws and rules have a vested interest for financial gain. too many fingers in to many pies.:suspicious:

Smells more fishy than a dead Whale that has ate a shoal of herrings for breakfast.

Maybe the lot that investigated the MP's expenses scandal, could delve into our industry and see who the fat cats are, who are claiming 2 salaries and expenses, from hard working individuals:idea:

Maybe the lot that investigated the MP's expenses scandal, could delve into our industry and see who the fat cats are, who are claiming 2 salaries and expenses, from hard working individuals:idea:
Good idea T Animal, might open a can of worms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have you ever had any training you think that was never relevant .

Lads, if you look at both Safety and Access and Simian websites i would say Simian is run by scaffolders and Safety and Access not.

Lads, if you look at both Safety and Access and Simian websites i would say Simian is run by scaffolders and Safety and Access not.

Had a look at the Simian website and interestingly there is a link to an on line store offering a range of scaffolding ancillaries including harness, lanyards and retrieval kits .

As the architects of Sg:4 10, me wonders if the product range is soon to be expanded to include step ups advanced guardrails etc.

Smells like the North Shields Fish Quay on summers afternoon :rolleyes:

To my knowledge neither of the aforementioned have turned a spanner!!

Good to hear some of these points chaps. We have a few company,s locally that are nasc members, directors of whom are not ex scaffs, but are masons. Is it a compliance thing I wonder ??.

not being funny but he has the whole of the country fooled then as everywhere i go all roads lead to Simian. Him and the other fella Rick couldn't put a nut in a monkey's mouth and i bet they earn at least five times more than me. Looks like a Nebosh course for me.

not being funny but he has the whole of the country fooled then as everywhere i go all roads lead to Simian. Him and the other fella Rick couldn't put a nut in a monkey's mouth and i bet they earn at least five times more than me. Looks like a Nebosh course for me.

Can't fault ye, I did the Nebosh 4 years ago haven't looked back since.

The NASC is a joke, their roll of honour reads like a who's who of buying cheap crap and pumping it into the field bringing the quality down for on£ r£ason and on£ r£ason only.

On another subject has anyone met the other guy at safety and access called Ray, tg20 revised again voilà, never turned a spanner either

why oh why wasnt i born with brains???????

they must be brainy to see they gaps to plug, or just bare faced cheek?

heres a cracker for yous all Gary Gallagher of Turner +8 non scaffolder ex president or whatever of NASC.Turners were the first company in Scotland to push for the wearing of harness for the boys on the street 1993.Garys son got the job of trainee estimator went up on a flat roof 4 maybe 5 storeys high peeks over the edge and guess what the halfwit fell.I was working for them at the time and we were getting pulled for not having our harness on.I wonder if he ever told his friends at NASC that one

Top Bottom